Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Go Pro advice for new users

Go Pro advice for new users

I got a GoPro in March and have learnt a bit through trial and error. Unfortunately this has meant lost opportunities at some cool footage and often you don't get a chance to find deer or ducks in certain situations as easily the next time meaning you've often got one chance and don't want to miss out. I thought it'd be good for others with similar posted their advice. I'll share what I've learnt so far.

One thing I'd advise is to get the head mount for hunting. I shot a 13 pointer this year, got it all on film except I didn't notice the bushes at chest height when it came in to 15 metres and I shot it. All I got was bush upon play back! Have since changed to a head mount and this isn't an issue. I wouldn't mount it to a scope as this isn't to easy for others to watch if your going to post a bush stalk as you don't walk around with your gun at eye level facing the same way as your eyes.

The wide field of view this comes with the cost of less close up action as things are a little more distant. This is easily fixed however as you can change the field of view in the settings. The wide angle has its place too though.

To save power I've turned off all the flashing lights and don't use the wifi. I've simply brought a larger SD card and a couple of spare batteries and leave it going the entire hunt. I turn it off after any action. Then I know when I'm viewing it on my computer to simply go to the end of a clip and rewind a few minutes rather than try and fast forward to the point where it happens.

I'd buy a spare wall mounted charger as having to do several batteries through my computer alone is slow going.

When I get time to do some editing I'll post a video of me standing still while waiting for a stag to respond. It was one of those stags that roared from 150 metres away and them came sneaking it to roar loudly from 10 metres. I jumped and cursed at the same time, I look real brave!

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Fishing I have a flat mount cable tied to the shoulder strap of my vest. Head mount can get a bit shakey.

The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Just brought myself a gopro in the weekend and took it duck shooting on Sunday and had pretty average results does any one have hint or tips on settings and other things for using gopros for hunting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What model you got man? Was it laggy or picture quality that was poor? laggy=fps, clarity=resolution. You can go in to settings to change these up. Just bear in mind the higher up you go the bigger the files will be.

I've got the hero 4 silver guessing I'll just have to keep playing around with it before I head to Stewart Island in a couple of weeks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    GoPro would be rubbish for anything other than up close roar type hunting. They're a very good POV camera.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

get some anti fog solution and the anti fog strips, the casings will fog in shit weather, as I found out.
    southernredneck likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.