Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree27Likes
  • 16 Post By Kamel
  • 1 Post By Blisters
  • 1 Post By Kamel
  • 4 Post By GravelBen
  • 3 Post By Kamel
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY

Thread: Lizards

Lizards

Thought I would give you folks a few photos of lizards we see out here quite often. First is two stumpy tailed shingle backs, commonly called Bogeyes, having a bit of a tussle showing off to a female nearby

Next is a sand goanna I played peek a boo around the butt of a pine tree with yesterday when out getting some flat rocks for pavers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember coming face to face with a startled goanna while climbing the inside of an old strangler fig near the Border Ranges National Park. It probably wasn't huge but it sure looked it at close range! I decided to get down before I met a brown snake up there. NZ has much more user-friendly wildlife.

Keep the pictures coming! Ever seen a bunyip out there?

Those little sandy goannas dont get much bigger than that one and they are generally very quiet, spose that is why it was east to get up close to him. The other ones we get around here, don't know their name, grow to around 6 ft long, I don't think they are agressive, but there is no way I would put my hand near the fuckers, I have seen a couple of dogs that had been bitten by them and the scars were pretty impressive.

Ben, I have been hunting for bunyips for years mate, searched high and low around all the ideal bunyip country, and havent stumbled on any yet. I did get several real blurry out of focus photos on a game camera once, similar to those photos of all those black panthers roaming our country, very hard to make positive identification. I hope to catch up with one in the next few years, or I will be too fucking old to go chase them anymore. I would like to have one of them mounted and hanging on the wall.

I heard drop bears are a real danger over there too?
    dannyb likes this.

Berg, not much chance of him getting a feed off me mate, I am skinnier than he is.

Many an unsuspecting overseas tourist has been savagely attacked and required hospitalization from Drop Bear attacks mate, if you ever come over, best you carry a pitch fork around the bush with you, it seems to be the only reliable defence against them.
    Blisters likes this.

Ours are a bit smaller! This wee fella hanging around the garden recently:

Skink by Ben, on Flickr

Skink by Ben, on Flickr

Nice little skink there Ben.

Here’s a nice little gecko I found in the garden when pulling down an old brush fence panel

I used to catch them when working out bush and let them go in home, now we have dozens of them

Dundee, kiwijames and rewa like this.

NRT
    Quote Originally Posted by Kamel View Post
    Thought I would give you folks a few photos of lizards we see out here quite often. First is two stumpy tailed shingle backs, commonly called Bogeyes, having a bit of a tussle showing off to a female nearby

Next is a sand goanna I played peek a boo around the butt of a pine tree with yesterday when out getting some flat rocks for pavers

Man they Creep me out you can have them

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

They are cool looking creatures
    Kamel likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Man they Creep me out you can have them

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Hey, you gotta be real careful with the goannas mate, they are the opposite to drop bears, these buggers will run up ya legs when you scare them, sneaky sneaky is the go.

Found one of the larger goannas out when pulling down a goat trap around a dam, not good photo sorry, he is around the 5 ft mark, have seen bigger