Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

wireless trail cams

Hi Im in the market for a wireless trail cam.
    I am going to buy overseas and dont know if our cellar net work will work with overseas camera.
    Basically Im pretty dumb when it comes to this. I guess you install a sim card to the camera and it works just like a phone in the bush as long as you have coverage.
    Cheers for any advise
    Stay off the ridgeline.
    The only good assumption is to assume that movement, shape, colour, sound, is always human. Follow this rule and identify your target.

I've been looking at this also. I have an aliexpress special trail camera with 3G that I haven't used yet.

I started googling data-specific SIM card plans for IOT (Internet of things) devices. Discovered Hologram.io - they have SIM cards that work on Vodafone/2degrees network, and costs pennies vs a prepay data plan with any of the main telco companies here. I have 2 SIM cards on the way, both spoken for sorry.

https://hologram.io/pricing/

Depending on how many pictures your camera sends, and what resolution, a 500MB/$19/month plan may be more economical. I intend to have my camera take photos etc, but only send them back to me when I send the camera a text message telling it to do so.

Will keep this thread updated.

Ejected
    Skinny is $16 a month and uses the Spark\Telecom network which is generally better in the bush than vodafone so could be worth checking out. $3 is worth saving.
    Last edited by MassiveAttack; 25-09-2016 at 08:43 PM.

I'll be following this thread with interest.
    When I was looking into them I read that the band that most of them use only works with one of the networks (cant remember which), but I think that was GPRS? 3G would be great, but not as many places have 3G.
    Which camera did you get stretch?

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by 8pt Sika View Post
    I'll be following this thread with interest.
    When I was looking into them I read that the band that most of them use only works with one of the networks (cant remember which), but I think that was GPRS? 3G would be great, but not as many places have 3G.
    Which camera did you get stretch?

Cheers
    Just did a quick read to refresh my memory. It's GSM and seems to be Vodafone/2 degrees only..

But that's not all the bad news:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-voice-service
    Last edited by 8pt Sika; 29-09-2016 at 11:58 AM.

Ejected
    Like the 3.5mm headphone jack 2g is old school and needs to be turned off if we are to advance. It's so slow that you can't even check your e-mails on it let alone browse the web when you are in a area with only a few bars of reception. It's for this reason that I prefer Spark\Skinny (hate the company, like the network) because there minimum is 3G so at least if you have reception it's fast enough to use.

The way of the future is low requency LTE\4G. Remember the old analog TV? Those frequencies got sold off to to the telecoms to use for their networks. Spark\Skinny for example are building a canterbury wide 700mhz network so anywhere in canterbuty you will be able to get 4g recetion with is 150mb on a good day. This also enables them to offer 4g based broadband so if you are on a farm with crackly copper phone lines you just leave it all behind and get a plug into the wall 4g model potentially with an external areal.

The fact that it's low frequceny (700mhz vs 1800 to 2100mhz) means it travels a lot further and there are less gaps in reception. So if you buy a phone make sure it supports 700mhz\LTE band 28. Sadly most of the increasingly good china phones don't support this band because they don't use that band in china.

Cheers. I was trying to give a heads up that a lot of the "wireless" trail cams that you can buy from online will only work on the 2G Vodafone/2 degrees network which days are numbered. I would only get a 3G one at this point in time.