Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By Staffnurse41
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By Staffnurse41

Thread: Awesome vension backstrap stir fry

Awesome vension backstrap stir fry

Mix 1 tablespoon of baking soda in litre of water in Pyrex jug. Immerse backstrap in liquid, whole one if younger animal. Soak for minimum 4 hours.
    Wash baking soda mix off, then slice into thin strips and marinate.

Marinade - mix together
    4 tablespoons of dark soy sauce
    2 tablespoons of brown sugar
    2 tablespoons of tomato sauce
    4-6 crushed garlic cloves
    1 tablespoon of olive oil
    1 heaped teaspoon of cornflour

Marinate for 30mins

Crank BBQ hotplate on high (keeps smells outside)

Oil the hotplate then tip & spread meat quickly. Lower BBQ lid and cook for 2-3 mins, turn quickly and another 2-3mins

Serve. Goes well with stir fry veges and garlic saffron rice in rice cooker.

Best venison ever!

That will upset the purists who believe in only salt and pepper but although that is undoubtedly nice it underestimates the meats versatility as it also makes excellent curries, chilli, etc.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Very nice we eat a lot of Venison Stir Fry as it is so quick & easy & we can use the fresh vegetables from our veggy patch so we do basically the same thing .

You may like to try this method -

A camp cook in the UK showed the missus how he "Velvets" the Venison before cooking & it is fantastic for any lean meat you do not want to dry out ,the Chinese have it as their basis for most Venison,Rabbit etc dishes & a lot of Stir Fries with any meat.

So for every 1kg of thinly sliced Venison or Rabbit.chicken etc or lesser cuts of beef .

We put in a large mixing bowl 2Tbsp. Soy Sauce,2 Tbsp. Cornstarch, 2 Tbsp Sesame oil or Peanut oil . Add to taste some sliced onions, garlic,ginger as well & we also add 1Tbsp Oyster sauce &Worcestershire sauce,(not necessary we just like them).

Mix everything well & add sliced meat & coat thoroughly , cover, and refrigerate for around 3/4- hour to allow time for the cornstarch to to a thin jelly like layer. I have a separate BBQ area out the back, so l just pour the whole mix into a Zip lock bag & put in Bar fridge & then give the bag a shake/mix every time l go for a beer or grab something else out of fridge .

When you are ready to go, get the BBQ plate HOT with a good coating of Peanut oil then l just tip the mix directly out of the bag in Thirds to quickly blanche the meat for around 1 minute max this is supposed to activate the layer of starch and gives the meat its juicy tender texture. What l do is using metal tongs Swirl the pieces in the oil till the pinkness is almost gone so about 30 seconds, then flip them for another 10-20 sec

Take the batches off & let drain, then hit up the Stir Fry Veggies in the same oil when about done add the meat back in to finish off.

This "Velveting marinade " makes the meat really juicy & tender by sealing in the juices as well as adding the flavor & it is a very old Chinese cooking trick .

Your Marinade is also basically what l do my Biltong & Jerky in as well,l am just doing batches of it up now for Xmas, a good all round mix for Venison/Game.
    Marty Henry likes this.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

Never heard of baking soda before.
    Does it tenderize or help pull the blood out?

Yes the baking soda does tenderise and takes away the gaminess of the venison that puts some people (kids) off. After doing it for past 6 months I reckon the Chinese Takeaway places use the method to tenderise cheaper cuts.
    All I will say to purists is stick to what you enjoy.
    Me, I have always loved my hunting but not the venison (red) so much, especially the bush deer. Now I love the hunting and eating the meat and actually have requests for venison stir fry.
    Beaker likes this.

Bunji I will definitely give your version a go - thanks for sharing.

@Staffnurse41 No worries, great to see you enjoying the total Hunting& providing great food for the family experience.
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan