Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree9Likes
  • 4 Post By Dama dama
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 2 Post By Preacher
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter

Thread: Chopping boards

Chopping boards

I spent the afternoon turning Larry into steak and bits for casserole. All went well (as well as it can if you never cut up back legs before)and I have him in smaller bits waiting for final processing and freezing.

One of the things that I will need to find if I do this semi regularly is a bigger chopping board than the one I had. It was just too small.

So I was wondering what other people use to process deer. Does anybody use a block of macrocarpa, or is it just not suitable?

Photo's would be good.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

bamboo one from briscoes. 10 years old and going strong.
    give it a wash in hot water and pour on some vinegar.

I use the one in the photo below. My old man made it for me. Dressed pine planks. It's a great size, can do a fallow or hoggot sized animal pretty much whole.
    I wouldn't use macrocarpa, as (I'm guessing here mind you) it would likely leave a distinct "flavour" in your meat. Kahikatea would be best, used to be used for butter boxes as it imparts no flavour.
    PName:  20190222_183544.jpg
Views: 547
Size:  3.22 MB
    Tommy, 40mm, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Ive got a couple of wattle ones my mate whipped out on his portable sawmill....they are about 10''x2'' and one 12'' long the other 18'' long.oil them up with cooking oil heaps and heaps to begin with and they last great...DONT use the meat cleaver on them.
    I got a butcher mate to process a deer for me twice over the years,just purely to watch how.... the knack/trick is to seperate each muscle off one at a time then trim off ALL the silver skin. I use the kitchen sink to hold the steak and a 20ltr bucket on floor for any "non steak" bits...most in the bucket go through mincer with a course blade as do the off cuts when the steak is done,keep a couple of bags for casserole.
    Preacher likes this.

Yes, good point Micky Duck, oil them up to keep them good. I have another smaller but really thick one I use for sawing or chopping on.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

northdude
    I just use a piece of untreated ply
    Preacher likes this.

Usually untreated ply for the large cutting/boning.

Then over to a big offcut of macrocarpa from a friends gigantic kitchen island. The "offcut" is still huge.

Planed it flat and used butchers block oil. Never noticed any added "flavour" and that one has had 20+ animals over it. Trick is to keep well oiled with anything I think.

Have heard/read somewhere that using cooking/vege oils can end up with them going rancid over time.

Have never seen this myself but has anyone else?
    Moa Hunter and dannyb like this.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    use an old eucalypt stump
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

no-one else uses their old kauri dining table????? no wonder im always in trouble.........

nah i dont really i have a 3 inch thick piece of oiled up heart rimu maybe 18" x 10" that i set up on a plastic trestle table that can be waterblasted later

Banned
    Some years ago the fishing industry compared the sanitary qualities of wooden versus plastic boards, by taking bacteria swabs over a series of hours from boards.
    The best result came from using cedar / Cyprus timber boards. Timber from these families of trees have a resin that is anti-bacterial, plus timber wicks moisture away leaving the bacteria to dry out. Plastic boards have little cavities that trap moisture and bacteria.
    So long story short, use natural timber, Macrocarpa, Japanese Cedar, Douglas Fir, any timber with that strong cedar smell.
    Butchers use salt as a clean up on a 'Butchers Block'
    McNotty likes this.