Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sarvo Black Watch

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hands up who eats Possum????

Hands up who eats Possum????

How my mind works when it hasn't enough to think about.

Sitting on edge of the forest a few nights ago and I couldn't help but notice the number of possums coming out and wandering over the field. And then started thinking.....what a huge source of untapped protein.

So what is the resistance to eating possum? The only one that I can think of is that they carry TB. But so do deer and pigs. Deer, us I understand it, will often carrying full blown TB for up to 5 years before finally succumbing to it. How many deer get taken and put in the freezer that are suffering TB?

Again, as I understand it from reading the MAF pages, eating a TB infected animal is not harmful if the meat is fully cooked. The danger to getting the TB is in the dressing out of the animal i.e. transmission from blood or inhaling airborne bits from the carcass.

Then there is cultural perception. In NZ we wouldn't think of eating cat, dog or horse and yet these are considered good meats in other countries. We eat beef and pig which is a big no-no in other societies.

Hell, Sharon see's remnants of dead rotting carcasses up in the forest that the pigs have been feeding on and yet doesn't give a thought about roasting up one of the pigs I bring home, but the mention of a possum and I get a reaction something akin to 'Holy Water' being sprinkled on a person who is 'demon possessed'.

And yet the diet of a possum is meant to be one which is far more wholesome than that of a feral pig.

Again, as I understand it, TB in possum is easily identifiable when skinning it. The glands either in the groin or armpits are dead giveaways.

So I have decided to give possum a go. We live in an area which is considered possum TB free at present, so that is a good start. Sharon has made it clear that I am on my own with this project......in other words I will have to prepare and cook it myself. Not a problem. I have thought that I will use her Hare Pie recipe and just substitute hare for possum meat.....a good place to start I think.

What about others out there.....who else is eating possum and any pointers they you might want to share???

Cheers
    Phil

its ok, a bit smelly to cook though

This is interesting ......

Video from Josh James...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8moTB5_DBE

The reaction from his partner when she knew she was eating possum stew is classic.

The only disappointing bit was that he wouldn't eat any himself.....

Cheers
    Phil

I tried it once (over 30 years ago), and saw no reason to repeat the experience. Of course we were not great cooks back then, and there may have been alcohol involved.
    jakewire, Bill999, hamsav and 5 others like this.

increasing entropy
    Wouldn't be my first choice of meat but I've eaten it. Young does feeding in (someone elses) orchard are best. Forget an old buck.
    If you live catch em and feed em milk and weetbix a few days before knocking off that flushes the worst of the gameyness out.

Also generally very lean meat, so while plenty of protein, need supplemenatry fat.

Best in curry, crock pot, biltong
    Phil_H likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

Young possum is ok. Quite a light meat. Older possum is much darker in colour and much more possummy.
    Dog loves it.
    Phil_H and mimms2 like this.

Take the glands out before cooking
    Steve123 and Phil_H like this.

I used to eat possum occasionally way back when I was selling skins for a bit of money on the side and all that meat getting discarded seemed like a waste. I remember it being a strong tasting meat and very oily. Stopped eating it as I simply wasn't a fan of it .
    Phil_H likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

increasing entropy
    Oh yeah. Wouldn't eat a cat, they're satan incarnate (and carnivores)

Would eat dog, if they farmed them like korea. Not the family pet. And I couldn't hunt/kill or probably even cook one myself.

Have eaten horse. It's very rich meat, small doses. Like, half an eye filet steak is enough.
    Phil_H likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by 308
    not smart enough to be useful
    Diligentia Vis Celeritas
    Life Advice

mmm horse!!!
    i like horse meat, i wouldnt call it strong but guess like most things it depends what its being fed. sort of like usa steak where the cows are corn fed, that and dry aging the meat just doesnt work for me. and try even getting a "blue" steak in america
    Micky Duck and Phil_H like this.

MB
    You can eat anything and I guess most people would if they were desperate. Beyond that, it becomes a question of do you want to eat it. In all honesty, I'd rather eat scotch fillet than most of the game animals or fish that I bring home, but eating what I've shot or caught myself completes the hunting process and brings satisfaction. As for eating less desirable species like possum, there is a cultural element that is harder for some to get past than others.
    Kiwi-Hunter likes this.

most wouldn't know if they weren't given a clue
    Steve123 and Phil_H like this.

There is no logical reason for avoiding eating possum - each culture has its own idiosyncratic hygiene regulations. Our family ate a lot of possum in the '70s. The meat has almost no flavour, a bit like veal. It is all in the butchering, prep and cooking. Makes a very nice pie and cranberry sauce is the classic addition. I used to avoid carrying too much food for trips into the bush by taking a leg trap. I would set it at night and when a possum started crashing around with its leg in the trap I woke up, got up and killed it/skinned it and cut it up. In the morning, I would roast the pieces wrapped in aluminium foil in the breakfast fire for about 20 minutes, until tender. These bits provided lunch and dinner for the day. I did try cat once - ran out of food in the back of Stewart Island, and shot a feral cat and cooked it but the flesh was so salty, possibly from the cat living on seagulls, that I could not get it down my throat, and went hungry for three days.

I would like to try it also. I’ll find the link to this guy who uses the fat when he’s out bush to cook venison in.. also he does eat it occasionally on video

I would like to try it also. I’ll find the link to this guy who uses the fat when he’s out bush to cook venison in.. also he does eat it occasionally on video

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KK2n4i6q5eQ
    AJS likes this.