Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch Sarvo

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Hands up who eats Possum????

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Ever smelled a possum??
    They taste a lot like that.
    11 herbs n spices,deep fried..
    what you talkin bout?

I like rabbit and horse but possom Iv only eaten once in a pie and even then it wasnt good and I had to drown it in tomato sauce
    I compare it to rat even tho I have yet to eat rat
    my dog on the otherhand fucking loves them and who am I to take any away from her

dam yummy,,lived off them for months,,we did pick the young does tho
    man up you fellas,,once covid 21 gets established its us real man that will have the most fun
    there will be no road kill as the vehicles will dissapear,,hahaha
    if you can eat fur burger you can eat the rest

I have only eaten it once. The shepherd and I were camped in a hut doing possum lines, early one morning he headed out to get us a possum to eat, a few minutes later I noticed the 22 was still hanging on the wall. He just walked along the poison line until he found a nice fat one - possum a la cyanide...

@Dusty Fog The first night of total lockdown here I saw a flattened possum on the road outside my front gate. I hardly ever see one usually. so it was one helluva unlucky possum to bowled on a quiet country road during the first might of lockdown with practically zero cars!

One thing I did notice numerous times during lockdown was up to 4 harrier hawks waiting beside a roadkill for their turn to feed. The road kill was so small during that time. Usually you only see 1 and very occasionally 2 hawks at a kill

A good 14+ years ago, I went on a mission with a good mate to try and find a hut and a family heirloom rifle in the back blocks of Coromandel Maori land. Properly rough country, impossible to hike in, ended up giving up and then trying again with kayaks, which got us to the right area on the river. After a day slogging around wet and tired we found the right spur, found the hut and remarkably found the old manís rifle and his treasure chest of belongings, all intact.

On the way out we were tuned up by the local possum hunter and his son, fair enough as we would have looked like mischief makers. Once credentials were confirmed, we were welcomed and treated to another couple of days of hard case Ngāti Rongoū hospitality. This was primarily pig (largely fed on possum), possum biltong, which was chewy and spicy but perfectly palatable, pickled eggs & cheap sausages, and kōura as a treat for honoured guests!

I learnt to use the possum plucking belt machine, how to catch and prepare kōura which was something Iíd never done before, and how to make temporary meat safes to wind dry fresh goat. All very interesting!

Possum biltong, by the way, is shit. I recommend impala.
    Just...say...the...word