Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: How to cook a hare

How to cook a hare

And don't nobody say " heat it up ".
    After reading the "discussion" re the Bacon and egg pie , I aint so sure you lot are the best peeps to ask ( NO PEA'S ! )
    There are a few hares round here and I have one in the freezer already , and as soon as I get another I wanna have a cook up . Im thinking some sort of casserole ( cant be fucked boning it ) , anybody have a tried recipie ?
    Dead is better likes this.

ebf
    My mrs reckons the worst thing you can do to a bunny or hare is to bone it. I cut the back steaks off the last bunny I shot, we cooked them and the rest of bugs in the slow cooker. All the meat on the bone was lovely, the back steaklets were dry as.

So my vote goes to chucking the whole thing into a crockpot or slow cooker and make a stew.
    @Angus_A is the resident forum chef, sure he will pipe up with a more detailed recipe...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    My mrs reckons the worst thing you can do to a bunny or hare is to bone it.
    That does not sound quite right does it ? As I read the post again, my first thought was, oh shit, going to take some flack from R93 or Gibo for that statement...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

Thanks ebf . Looking at the rabbit and the hare , the hare seems to be darker meat, tho still lean , I was kinda hoping that darker meat it would be more like lamb than chicken and not dry out like a rabbit , I have never had a rabbit that wasn't dry, but then I never tried one in a slow cooker . I was thinking , cut into pieces , oxtail soup sachet , onion and tom sauce and slow cook .
    I draw the line at sheep

bone it
    ebf i really hope that was a typo
    ebf likes this.
    OPCz

If in doubt double tap

Hare royale. Google it.

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk

Back steaks are best flash fryed, rested sliced and eaten with a bit of salt and pepper.

Stew/casserole/slow cooker I quarter the body and brown the bits in a very hot pan with plenty of oil then slow cook with some vege and oxo cubes or what have you.
    deepsouthaussie likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

Back steaks should be treated same as best quality beef eye fillet. Try marinating in olive oil, fresh garlic, fresh rosemary for 4-5 days. Hot plate on the bbq about 3mins each side. Let it rest for same amount of time. Cut into about 1cm slices. Should still be pink even a bit bloody in the middle and as tender as.
    Try mincing the back wheels and making patties with worcestershire sauce and chopped fresh parsley, salt and pepper.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    My mrs reckons the worst thing you can do to a bunny or hare is to bone it.
    I wish I has seen this before your next post. My lips stay sealed now though.
    ebf likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    I wish I has seen this before your next post. My lips stay sealed now though.
    Oh yeah ? "what happens on tour stays on tour " sorta thing aye ???..........................but Rabbits and/or hares ( both on a good night ?) so that's where all the insulation tape went

Hamsav, here is one of my versions of Jugged Hare...it is delicious...make in a crockpot

1 hare, cut into portions, seasoned with salt and pepper; 4ozs streaky bacon with the rind removed; 4oz smoked ham, diced (you can use more of the bacon if you need to rather than the ham); 6 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped, 1/4 pint red wine; 1/4 pint brown stock ; juice of 1 orange and 1tsp grated rind thereof; 1 or 2 tsps herbs; 1 bay leaf; 1/4 tsp mace (omit if you just happen not to have some in stock); 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Place the hare in the crock pot and add all the rest. Let gurgle away for at least 4 hours. Remove the meat and thicken the sauce if necessary.
    I serve this with a good tattie puree. I have even made this into pies by taking the meat off the bones, thickening the sauce and baking in a puff crust.

You might like to make Game Chips to go with it...the chips are perfect with game...

Game Chips

Caroline Conran in her book Good Home Cooking has this recipe. Have made these on numerous occasions and the general concensus is an united thumbs up.

"buy the largest potatoes you can find, and allow 1 per person. Peel them as thinly as possible, by hand or on a mandoline; put the slices into a bowl of cold water for a few minutes, then take out a handful and dry them carefuly on a clean drying up cloth.
    Heat a mixture of sunflower and olive oil in a deep-frying pan. Lower the basket containing a handful of dry slices of potato into the sizzling hot oil and keep the slices moving about as they fry. When they are pale golden, lift up the basket, increase the heat a little under the pan and then dip them back in until they are a rich golden brown more or less all over. Lift them out, shake well and drain on kitchen paper while you cook the next handful, turning the heat down a little to start with.
    You can cook these early in the day and reheat them in the oven just before serving. They are exquisite and perfect with partridge, pheasant or grouse."

I have served them with saddle of venison, pheasants, hare and rabbit stews.
    Last edited by EeeBees; 15-04-2014 at 08:30 PM.
    ...amitie, respect mutuel et amour...

...le beau et le bon, cela rime avec Breton!...

Here is probably the bestest game pie I have ever made and/or eaten...there is quite abit in the making of it, but please be assured that it is worth every minute...this will be enough for eight people. Sorry but the measurements are in imperial...don't shy away from the suet and do not substitute, it just doesnt work that well!!

Hare Pie

To test the eatibility of a hare, try this test; if you can rip the ear easily then it will be youngish and tender.

1 hare (with the heart and kidneys), 1 hambone, herbs, nutmeg, salt, pepper, 1/2 cup red wine, 11/2lb short pastry, butter, 1lb forcement (see recipe below), streaky bacon sliced (I use four or five good rashers), 1 teaspoon red currant jelly, 1/4cup port ( I use Madeira), 1 egg yolk, beaten with a little water

Forcement: 3 cups of soft breadcrumbs, 3/4cup shredded suet, 2-3 slices lean bacon, diced, 1 tbsp each of chopped parsley and thyme, salt, pepper, 2 eggs well beaten.

Mix the breadcrumbs with the suet until thoroughly blended. Add the bacon, parsley, thyme, salt and pepper and combine with the egg.

Cut up the hare. Put it with the heart, and kidneys in a pan with the hambone, herbs (a good faggot of parsley, a couple of bay leaves, a sprig or two of thyme) salt, pepper, wine in water to cover. Bring to the boil, turn the heat down and simmer gently for an hour and a half. Butter a deep pie dish and line with pastry, saving enough for the top. Drain the hare (saving the stock) and fry in butter lightly. Cool. Line the pie-dish with the forcemeat, spreading it over the pastry. Add the pieces of hare in layers with the rashers of bacon placed between the layers. Strain the stock, take 2 cups of it, mix it with the redcurrant jelly and port and pour into the pie dish. Cover the pie with extra pastry and brush with the egg yolk and water. Decorate it with bits of left over pastry. Bake in a moderate at 350F for about an hour. Cover the pastry with greaseproof paper should it start to brown too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by EeeBees View Post
    Hamsav, here is one of my versions of Jugged Hare...it is delicious...make in a crockpot

1 hare, cut into portions, seasoned with salt and pepper; 4ozs streaky bacon with the rind removed; 4oz smoked ham, diced (you can use more of the bacon if you need to rather than the ham); 6 shallots, peeled and coarsely chopped, 1/4 pint red wine; 1/4 pint brown stock ; juice of 1 orange and 1tsp grated rind thereof; 1 or 2 tsps herbs; 1 bay leaf; 1/4 tsp mace (omit if you just happen not to have some in stock); 1/4 tsp nutmeg

Place the hare in the crock pot and add all the rest. Let gurgle away for at least 4 hours. Remove the meat and thicken the sauce if necessary.
    I serve this with a good tattie puree. I have even made this into pies by taking the meat off the bones, thickening the sauce and baking in a puff crust.

You might like to make Game Chips to go with it...the chips are perfect with game...

Game Chips

Caroline Conran in her book Good Home Cooking has this recipe. Have made these on numerous occasions and the general concensus is an united thumbs up.

"buy the largest potatoes you can find, and allow 1 per person. Peel them as thinly as possible, by hand or on a mandoline; put the slices into a bowl of cold water for a few minutes, then take out a handful and dry them carefuly on a clean drying up cloth.
    Heat a mixture of sunflower and olive oil in a deep-frying pan. Lower the basket containing a handful of dry slices of potato into the sizzling hot oil and keep the slices moving about as they fry. When they are pale golden, lift up the basket, increase the heat a little under the pan and then dip them back in until they are a rich golden brown more or less all over. Lift them out, shake well and drain on kitchen paper while you cook the next handful, turning the heat down a little to start with.
    You can cook these early in the day and reheat them in the oven just before serving. They are exquisite and perfect with partridge, pheasant or grouse."

I have served them with saddle of venison, pheasants, hare and rabbit stews.
    Thicken the sauce with its own blood. You wont regret it.

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    EeeBees likes this.

Geeze EeBees your on fire there! I'd have to renew my mortgage to eat like that!
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hehehehehe, trust me Maca it will be worth it