Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 2 Post By Ingrid 51
  • 1 Post By Joe_90
  • 2 Post By johnd
  • 1 Post By Dicko
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 1 Post By widerange
  • 1 Post By Got-ya
  • 1 Post By tiroahunta

Thread: Meat mincers and other tools

Meat mincers and other tools

Hey all, I知 looking to get some stuff to process our own game at home, we tend to eat a lot of sausages, patties and steaks. I知 thinking a mincer is the obvious choice, but any recommendations? Ideally something that痴 not going to cost an arm and a leg. I do have a kenwood mixer but I知 not sure if it can have a mincer attachment.
    Any other recommended kitchen tools other than decent knifes?

Pop the top front plastic bit off your Kenwood mixer. There should be a hole that their attachment fits into. I am pretty sure I have a near new attachment here if interested. PM me if of interest.
    Micky Duck and Chelsea like this.

Depending on how much mince you're planning on making it could be worth getting a dedicated machine.

I had one like this for a while: https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livin...1d8f23fec1-001

Worked well but it was fairly slow and doesn't like too much sinew in there or it binds up. Quite loud, to the point I would wear earmuffs. From memory it lasted for around 15 tahr and 5 deer before something in the gearbox went kaput.

When the little one died I got one like this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/home-livin...1d8f23fec1-001
    It will happily put up with a bit of sinew and bits in the meat without clogging up. Makes it a lot easier to makes 20kg of mince to then get turned in sausages. There is another machine for sausage making in bulk though....
    Chelsea likes this.
    Every machine is a smoke machine,
    If you use it wrong enough.

Try a search on here there has been a real good post done on it possibly last year.
    Micky Duck and Chelsea like this.

I have a Kenwood mincer that fits on a Chef machine, its ok but i would talk it up too much. If I was really serious about home butchery and making sausages, doing home kills and a fair bit of game I'd get serious and get a stand alone mincer, possibly a mixer and definitely a good 7.5-10 kg capacity sausage filler. on ebay NZ look up Reber models #12 or #22 mincer. 0.5 - 1.0 hp motor with a capacity of 90-120 kg / hr. Italian machines that are well supported here.
    Chelsea likes this.

mate bought a hand operated mincer ( no not that sort ya dirty minded buggas) from savebarn. 15 years on its done everything from homekill to burley and still going strong
    Chelsea likes this.

Banned
    and he looks like popeye
    MB likes this.

Thanks all. I’ll check out the mixer and see if it can get an attachment. Not looking to do too much really just the odd pig and deer, I wish we had the time to get more haha.
    I looked at hand ones but I’m guessing they would take forever. I just want to be able to do some mince and snags.

A vacuum sealer would be worthwhile, if you haven't already got one.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 22-09-2020 at 07:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Allizdog View Post
    A vacuum sealer would be worthwhile, if you haven't already got one.
    Yip got one of them. It’s a good one but I have a bit of trouble sealing meat, as it seals the blood runs and the pack won’t close.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Yip got one of them. It’s a good one but I have a bit of trouble sealing meat, as it seals the blood runs and the pack won’t close.
    Try a paper towel strip in the bag between the meat and the end of the bag.

These are not cheap, but if your serious about making your own small goods these are the bomb. The TC12 is a great machine.

https://www.teutonia.co.nz/brand/Everest
    Chelsea likes this.

Personally have tried the mincer attachment to Kenwood mixer. Went with dedicated mincer instead.

Did try making sausages with sausage maker attachment. Not a raving success and now both busy it痴 easier to let the pros do it. They are good at their good n make a good sausage and patty.
    I値l steak my own though and when have enough trim I値l add mutton off cuts (flap etc) and send it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Chelsea likes this.