Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: mould on aging meat

mould on aging meat

a couple weeks ago i got a bull tahr he was fat as and in really good condition and after having some backstrap after only 2 days after it was shot it was tough as old boots so left it in the fridge to age a bit. now its been exactly 2 weeks, theres a bit of white mould growing on the meat i have never seen it before on any game i have shot and aged this long so does this mean the meat should be thrown or will it be ok to eat? meat doesn't smell just has spots of white mould over it.

cheers.

MB
    I would give that to the dog, but I'm no expert. Just out of interest, was it in a sealed container or open to the air in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I would give that to the dog, but I'm no expert. Just out of interest, was it in a sealed container or open to the air in the fridge.
    open air, sitting on the racks.
    MB likes this.

Agree with mimms2 White is generally "good mould" green, blue or red not so. Air cured salami has white mould on it so does panchetta mind those have salt in them. There are more tahr in the hills.

Have sometimes got white mould on venison aging a long time in the fridge. Use the nose, I find that's more accurate And even when its just on the turn, casseroles taste fantastic.
    Micky Duck likes this.

GWH
    Its fine mate, just trim off the mould bit, and any hardened off skin, it will be fine underneath all that.
    trapperjohn likes this.

If it doesn't stink trim it off the outside fry it and eat��
    Micky Duck likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I always hang beef or venison during cooler months without aid of chiller, a bit of mould just means it just coming right and ready to be processed.
    Just cut into meat or around hip/shoulder joints and smell for decay if concerned.
    The smell of decay smells like rotting meat.

A bit of mould appearing is nothing to sweat about.
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

And just adding to trapperjons' bit, never hang an animal without releasing the joint fluid from knees/hips of an animal. Its what sets off meat decay quickest

shouldn't need to leave it for more than 1 week anyway.

Banned
    If meat has air around it then no problems. If it is sitting against a surface like in a plastic bucket there can be trouble.
    Horse is ok 'on the turn' https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rc...FghdD8whQpQNir
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Trim back to good meat and it should be fine.
    Even meat which is going green on the outside can usually be trimmed. Often what's left will be very good eating.
    People get a bit carried away with discarding meat because it doesn't look and smell like it was killed yesterday. The pansy food safety experts would have you believe meat that wasn't killed in a certified killing facility will tip you over.
    And there have even been movements in the past to ban home kill operations and make it illegal to be in possession of un-inspected meat.
    And that's another "follow the money" event. Just as selling wild rabbits for human consumption was OK early last century...till the major processors wanted to cut the little guy out of the business of making money. If there was decent money to be made selling locally caught and killed rabbit, possibly the numbers would be returned to manageable levels??

"They" say red meat is bad for you, but in my experience it is the green slimy stuff that really does the damage.

Good for weight loss though, so it's not all bad news.
    Micky Duck and louiannz like this.

my old man used to keep steak in cupboard on egg carton.....to get rid of any blood...I have always kept meat as dry as possible when in fridge,upending a saucer inside a pudding bowl....or upended pudding bowl in SS mixing bowl works good as fluid can drain to edges and drop into cavity...my two buckets one inside the other with holes in bum of inside one works well if meat is moved around each day and blood tipped out of bottom bucket.
    when I read the title my first thought was "crank up fry pan its ready"
    7mmwsm and Moa Hunter like this.