Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Open Fire grill thingy, any good?

Open Fire grill thingy, any good?

I’m looking at getting one of these to take when I go on big camp outs to save dragging the bbq along. Almost lost the bbq a number of times off the trailer thanks to the wind getting under it.
    Has anyone here used one? Are they good to use or would it be a pain having to constantly need the fire to cook? Usually feeding 3 or 4 people maybe more if friends come along so can’t just use a gas cooker.. I’m also looking into a 2 tier one. I don’t think Santa is generous enough to send me a Weber Q this Christmas unfortunately. Name:  3269D05B-420F-4A27-B4C8-C0D58022BC9E.jpeg
Views: 279
Size:  104.8 KB
    CBH Australia likes this.

It would be a big constraint having to have an open fire unless you're on private land, I think all DOC areas and most forestry companies have a permanent open fire ban. Would put a dampner on proceedings to have a helicopter coming over the hill to dump a bucket full of water over your sizzlers
    rugerman, GWH, Moa Hunter and 2 others like this.

Also after any other genius downsizing ideas, did look into the back country meals but far too pricey for the number of mouths to feed over a week. Camp site is literally in the bush however accessible by vehicle.
    Any tips and tricks on keeping food cooler for longer using an average chilly bin? I was told salt ice. This time last year everything melted within 48hrs using ice and bottled ice.

Quote Originally Posted by Brakelie View Post
    It would be a big constraint having to have an open fire unless you're on private land, I think all DOC areas and most forestry companies have a permanent open fire ban. Would put a dampner on proceedings to have a helicopter coming over the hill to dump a bucket full of water over your sizzlers

Didn’t even think of this.... have always had a small open fire. Don’t think iv seen any fire ban signage but maybe I should look harder...

We always used a flat sheet for camping as a kid. Same thingy without the grill. We put a A3 size can on the could for a Billy, a big Apple tin or similar with a wire handle. Done some primitive camping with my brother back when people could be trusted and kids could be trusted with matches.

Tried various things to make my life easier when our kids were young. Quick tents, swags, camper trailer bigger Esky bought and sold em all as I tried some fangled idea.
    Always reminding my wife how much I liked camping when I took my ute, my dog my Hotplate/Flatsheet and an Esky..

She wins, we have a caravan, still tight still on a budget. But it's comfortable.

Ice! Some eskys or cooler boxes last well. Like the thick wall poly types or fibreglass.

Techni ice is a sheet of pillows containing a product that hydrates in water and lasts longer when frozen.

Engel fridge is great, about $1200 for a 40litre and rotating gear you will manage well.
    Last edited by CBH Australia; 29-11-2021 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Duplocate

We always used a flat sheet for camping as a kid. Same thingy without the grill. We put a A3 size can on the could for a Billy, a big Apple tin or similar with a wire handle. Done some primitive camping with my brother back when people could be trusted and kids could be trusted with matches.

Tried various things to make my life easier when our kids were young. Quick tents, swags, camper trailer bigger Esky bought and sold em all as I tried some fangled idea.
    Always reminding my wife how much I liked camping when I took my ute, my dog my Hotplate/Flatsheet and an Esky..

She wins, we have a caravan, still tight still on a budget. But it's comfortable.

Ice! Some eskys or cooler boxes last well. Like the thick wall poly types or fibreglass.

Techni ice is a sheet of pillows containing a product that hydrates in water and lasts longer when frozen.

Engel fridge is great, about $1200 for a 40litre and rotating gear you will manage well.

https://techniice.com/dry-ice-packs/...ice-packs.html

Also look for the little camp cookers that use a butane canister.
    About $15 at Kmart or Bunnings.
    $3 per canister, lasts maybe 90 minutes or a lot of coffee's.
    Keep it simple,
    Chelsea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post

https://techniice.com/dry-ice-packs/...ice-packs.html

Also look for the little camp cookers that use a butane canister.
    About $15 at Kmart or Bunnings.
    $3 per canister, lasts maybe 90 minutes or a lot of coffee's.
    Keep it simple,
    Thanks
    I have looked into a caravan but the tent is more flexible for where I go at this stage, just changed to a double room some tent which is simple yet nice and quality. Will look into those techni ice pillows, I actually had a lpg powered fridge but something went wrong and it caught fire, and it was a huge pain in the ass to take. Have a decent little gas cooker that takes those canisters, surprising how many coffees you can get from one canister.
    CBH Australia likes this.

the bro just uses a few bricks and a old bbq plate to great effect

works exactly like that one above would but the bricks also stop the wind

Some old hessian sacks drapped over the chilly bin and kept wet knocks the temp down 5 or so degrees. Keep in the shade, and where a bit of wind can get to. But will use quite a bit of water to work well, so near a stream is useful. 9L bucket on top with a nail hole in the bottom will keep wet for half a day
    veitnamcam, Moa Hunter and 40mm like this.

Look on trademe for a second hand 4 or 6 burner gas hob. Should be able to find a second hand one where someone has just redone their kitchen. Make a frame to sit it in with a solid lid on top that can double as a bench/cutting area/food preparation area. Its a lot more compact than a BBQ.
    rugerman and Moa Hunter like this.

Caretaker
    Put a gas ring under it and keep using that setup
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Almost lost the bbq a number of times off the trailer thanks to the wind getting under it.
    A properly tied down bbq shouldn't be a problem, it's much easier to do if the trailer has a cage.

If you are already having a campfire (and are allowed to have one!) the plate/grill should work okay, but what happens when the weather is wet or even very windy?

GWH
    Yep, just buy a Weber Baby Q, I love my Q1200 (higher lid height), and a 4 or 4.5kg bottle. So easy to just throw in the back of the car when going anywhere. Even took it to Stewart Island.

I've had a leg of lamb and a half piece of cube roll on it at the same time, that fed 12 people plus leftovers.

And you don't have to worry about fire bans.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Keeping it cool - get an icey-tek chilly bin, the bigger the better. If you want to be away for a week, get one that is twice to three times bigger than the volume of food you are planning to take. Freeze as much food as you can and locate it lower in the chilly bin, with refrigerated items that you are going to use first closer to the top. Put a layer of flake salt ice on the bottom, then frozen food, then layer of flake salt ice, more food, layer of ice, etc. When away, minimise the amount of times the bin gets opened to keep the atmosphere cold. Keep the bin in the shade and as per above, keep wet sacks over the bin. Drain any melted water twice daily.
    I recommend nothing less than a 135L unit, 185Lt or 300Lt is even better.
    I have my 135Lt mounted across the A frame draw bar of my trailer. Made up an 50x50 angle iron frame that it sits into to support the floor of the bin, and then two ratchet tiedowns over the top to hold it in place. Works a treat and keeps the trailer deck free for the quad bike.

If you are allowed an open fire, the fire plate you have shown will get you through no problem.
    An option for open fire but without a pit is the likes of these https://darche.co.nz/cooking/_item/bbq-450 I have had a Snow Peak one for years now and they work really well. There was a cheaper one around in NZ but cannot find a link at the moment. I had to import mine from Aust.

If you are not allowed a fire pit and are going gas, try one of these https://www.savebarn.co.nz/2-burner-...scription=true
    Add a three ring burner with a Dutch oven and a No3 Plat Potjie pot and you are laughing for any number of people. https://www.biltongplus.co.nz/produc...-2887def32925/

Quote Originally Posted by Allgood View Post
    Look on trademe for a second hand 4 or 6 burner gas hob. Should be able to find a second hand one where someone has just redone their kitchen. Make a frame to sit it in with a solid lid on top that can double as a bench/cutting area/food preparation area. Its a lot more compact than a BBQ.
    Just be aware that most domestic hobs require 230v power supply for the safety devices - no power, no worky.