Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree14Likes
  • 11 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By ROKTOY
  • 2 Post By chindit

Thread: Preserved Lemons in Honey. Old School Kiwi Bushy Style

Preserved Lemons in Honey. Old School Kiwi Bushy Style

Was asked to post the'recipe' l use for preserving Lemons after the great season we have had for them this year,just made another batch so here it is .

One of the benefits of us having easy access to good local hunting properties & having friends keen to take any excess Venison, is we are gifted beautiful Manuka honey & other home grown produce including Lemons in return .

Makes a fantastic tea sweetener, sore throat sorter & topper for some ice cream or addition to just water or something stronger,also great on toast/crumpets or Hot Toddy . I also like it on a hot day with a Scotch or Rum & Soda, with a lot of ice & a bit of this lemon in it ,great drink to have while on BBQ/Smoker duty .I actually grab a 2 Ltr bottle of soda water ,load with scotch & this lemon to taste ,freeze & take in the boat when fishing .

Lasts for a year easy in the fridge but will all be gone long before that ,once you try it.

The combination of Lemon & Honey makes great gut Probiotics & vitamin boost ,the old Kiwi Bushies use to swear by it & when l started out shearing in the 80's was a common water flavorer ,energy booster .

For years now when l am cutting wood in the bush, l always take a thermos & add it to my cuppa's

Ingredients 3 lemons & roughly (every thing is rough when l am cooking )1 cup of honey, large screw top jar .

Cut Lemons in to roughly 6 mm-1/4 inch slices or what ever suits ya .

Layer a few slices of lemon in the bottom of your jar, drizzle over a large spoonful of honey. Continue to layer up until you run out of lemon slices. Add another spoonful or two of honey and set the brew aside to ferment for a day or two on the bench.

Shake or stir the jar daily. After a few days you should start tasting the syrup, and once you like the flavour, (or after a maximum of two weeks) you can move your jar to the refrigerator & am told it will last a year, but at our farm 3-4 months for the 6 jars l make in a batch, before we run out/give away

If you leave the mixture too long it can move from a simple pro-biotic ferment to a yeast-driven type of Kiwi Bushy Bastard mead, still safe to eat just probably not best to add to your cuppa while cutting firewood or may be it is

Name:  RED Manuka Lemon honey(4)(1).jpg
Views: 217
Size:  24.6 KB
    "Fair Winds and Following Seas" - Capt Ron You Glorious Bastard.

"The nine most terrifying words in the English language are: I'm from the Government, and I'm here to help. " President Ronald Reagan

That's a recipe even I can get right.
    On tomorrows list. We have just had some honey dropped off to us, so perfect timing.
    bunji likes this.

Im gonna give that a go.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Just done 1 jar, honey I used is some dark coloured stuff given to us by a bee keeper when we had hives on the farm we worked on. So far the rest of the family have given the thumbs down, I will wait for the taste test and report back

Only a day in but it tastes bloody good. Kids who are adults gave it a try and liked it. Wifey who has a cough and had to go for covid test to get a sick note for work gave me that look that you all know when I said try this. After trying it see sent a text to the kids who are shopping right now to bring some honey for my task tomorrow to make more.
    This is good after 1 day looking forward to a few more day brewing. Do try it
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.