Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Skippy Patties

Skippy Patties

So if you want to eat wallaby (some people say all they are good for is hanging on a fence on the side of the road), here’s what we did with it the other day:
    I couldn’t really imagine tucking into a massive steak or chunk of meat off it, so after butchering it we put it through the mincer. It smelt awful (apparently that’s just how it smells) and was bright red, very lean so we probably could have taken some of the wild pig fat out of the freezer to put in with it, but I didn’t want to be naughty so just kept it as is.
    Then I just did a basic marinade of garlic, ginger, wine, black pepper, a tsp of brown sugar, and I wasn’t sure if it’s a red meat so I used a dash of soy sauce instead of salt as I didn’t want to dry it out in case it was.
    It still smelt pretty gross (yeah, yeah, it’s “supposed” to smell like that) so I thought I’d throw in some spices to overpower the gamey-ness. So I guess I kind of went for Moroccan influence; threw in 2 heaped teaspoons of ground cumin, two of ground coriander, a teaspoon of ground cloves, some turmeric, two heaped teaspoons of cayenne pepper and a dash of chilli oil, then some periperi mayonnaise because I thought the fat from that would make them less dry. Then I looked at the cinnamon and was kind on a roll so put in half a teaspoon of that which is kind of weird but it still worked…then while I was at it I put in a teaspoon of garam marsala since it’s so fragrant and is used in lots of curries. I think that’s it. They were a tad spicy so I guess you would alter the measurements to get it to taste how you want. Oh, and I threw in an egg to bind it. If you wanted to, I guess you could bulk it out with breadcrumbs and some finely chopped onion.
    The patties were cooked over low heat on the hot plate part of the BBQ, and a small stick of butter was rubber over them to get a good brownness and to make sure they didn’t dry out and fall apart. Then they got a minute on the hot grill plate to finish them off. They guys liked them and I guess I would have too, if I hadn’t known it was wallaby!! We served them with a homemade spiced plum sauce.
    I guess if you wanted to be in keeping with the whole Moroccan thing you could serve with a nice chickpea salad, some flat bread and hummus or just a green salad with nice balsamic vinegar…

Name:  IMG_1401.jpg
Views: 481
Size:  1.17 MB

Name:  IMG_1428.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  1,013.9 KB

Name:  IMG_1435.jpg
Views: 499
Size:  797.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1437.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  1.01 MB

Name:  IMG_1442.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  1.05 MB

Name:  IMG_1448.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  927.9 KB
    Grim, DAF, P38 and 8 others like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    I would certainly wrap my laughing gear around that
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

They look damn good
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Another young huntress
    Looks soo yummy

Might have to give patties a go next time. First did the back straps as kebabs, then turned a back leg into stir fry. Just need to figure a way to keep the meet during the comp next month. Mother-in-law thought it was young beef.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Love the fact that you have a Hellers London Pride sausages tray in the background. Thanks for keeping me in a job!
    Sophie likes this.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I've eaten wallaby heaps, but I must say Artemis, certainly not with that degree of delicious sounding preperation.
    Fried back steaks and leg stew is where my culinary expertise begins and stops.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Patties look great, spicy wallaby sounds good

Ye old fashioned roast is a tasty use of a wallaby leg too - long slow roast with a lid on, comes up tender and juicy.

P38
    Spicy meat patties with Spicy plum sauce Num Num Num

I love eating Wallaby.

Coles stock Wallaby in their supermarkets in Queensland..... I make a point of buying some steaks evertime I visit.

Cooked hot and fast on the BBQ leaving it pink inside, slap it in a fresh bun with a squirt of sauce and get it down ya neck with a cold Aussi beer.... Awesome!

Cheers
    Pete

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    Eaten and like Wallaby heaps. Like all game meat should be hung for a couple days at least so the enzimes break down. In our house , one of our favourite Wally recipe is curried, using Magie mild curried sausage mix. Simple and fast. Wallaby I presume is the same as Kangaroo meat. It has a very high Iron content and a low Colestrol count. Being organic on top of that, has to be good. Actually prefer it to Venison.
    RV1 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by P38 View Post
    get it down ya neck with a cold Aussi beer.... Awesome!

Cheers
    Pete
    When did Aussi start making beer?

Never seen or shot or eaten or looked for a wobblie, Its on the to do list!
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

If it was me I would have trimmed all the membrane off the muscle groups even for mince.
    Its not a criticism! Im kinda ocd about it
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    When did Aussi start making beer?
    I've got a taste for Carlton Draught at the moment.

Seems to go down ok .... still getting used to it being served in a styrene bottle cooler though.
    Last edited by P38; 13-02-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Think most of us sees 4 xxxx surely grabs my attention
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Isn't it called XXXX cos aussies can't spell 'beer'?