Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Tough Backstrap - help...

Tough Backstrap - help...

Shot our first Sika (hind) recently and took off the backstraps, both back legs and one front leg. Put the meat in the meat safe at the hut within an hour of shooting. We left the meat in the game bag in the safe. That afternoon we boned out the legs into muscle groups and put the meat back in the safe (in the meat bags).

When we got home the next day we hung each piece of meat in our old fridge for 8 days. I checked the meat every day to make sure it wasn't smelling bad and it wasn't.

After the 8 days we noticed the meat had a dry outer layer but still moist in the middle when I cut some into steaks.

I have now frozen most on the meat but had the backstrap tonight for dinner. I noticed the backstrap was quite dry after having in the fridge for a week. I popped in a marinade (Olive oil, Balsamic, Maple Syrup, Garlic and Ginger) for 24hrs hoping to get some moisture back into it. I cooked it on the BBQ medium rare, let it rest for 10mins and then sliced it up. We found that it was quite tough and chewy - not tender like people describe backstrap to be...

What did I do wrong?

Please assist us so we to the right thing next time.

Gone but not forgotten
    Did you take the "silver skin" off?
    dannyb and RUMPY like this.

Yes, the silver skin was removed.

Could just be an old animal, was it in good condition?
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Did you trim that dry outer crust off before you cooked it?

It was a hind - unsure on age but didn't look overly old I thought. How do tell how old they are? I wasn't going grey and balding like me!!
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

No I didn't take the outer layer off but is was all the meat that was tough not just the outside.
    Tahr likes this.

I find it can vary from animal to animal. Definitely older animals regardless of condition i find to less desirable to eat. Like tahr asked, did you trim the dry layer off?

I have shot 3 animals from same spot..when skinning the membrane between hide and flesh was pinkish,not the normal white/gray...all three were in good nick and all three were tough...nothing else from same area has been tough,most are awesome.
    worst case...you got lots to mince up...or caserole. try beating it up with steak hammer before cooking,it helps no end having it sort of prechewed LOL.
    doinit, Moa Hunter and 20 Bore like this.

MB
    I think you left it hanging too long as an individual cut of meat. Not the end of the world, but less good to eat. I break my animals down in the bush, usually goats as I'm in Northland, leave the cuts hanging in the fridge for 24 hours. If all else fails, 1 hour in a blended pineapple marinade (fresh not tinned) should tenderise it. Works on goat backstraps.
    doinit, Moa Hunter, RV1 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I think you left it hanging too long as an individual cut of meat. Not the end of the world, but less good to eat. I break my animals down in the bush, usually goats as I'm in Northland, leave the cuts hanging in the fridge for 24 hours. If all else fails, 1 hour in a blended pineapple marinade (fresh not tinned) should tenderise it. Works on goat backstraps.
    Is it just blended up fresh Pineapple? Nothing else?

Maybe you over cooked it?
    Gibo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chur Bay View Post
    Maybe you over cooked it?
    Don't think so - it was still pink in the middle... Or can overcooked backstrap still be pink?

Nah pink is good.
    Some animals just don't taste as good as others.
    Best thing you can do is get back hunting and shoot another one. Turn the tough one into salami or sausages.

Don't shoot hinds this time of year ether feeding a fawn or weaned a fawn and normally Sika Hinds are on the tough side.