Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Venison Marinades for the Cooking Inept.

Venison Marinades for the Cooking Inept.

I have found a marinade for venison that I intend to try out later next week.

Mix boysenberry juice and coke, and let venison marinade for 6 hours.

This is sufficiently simple that my unaccustomed-to-cooking brain can cope with it.

Any more complicated and my eyes start to glaze over.

Does anybody have really simple recipes for marinades using beer or red wine?
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

So is thos a 50/50 mix ??? Sounds simple enough, let us know how it goes ?

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    So is thos a 50/50 mix ??? Sounds simple enough, let us know how it goes ?
    Not sure, wasn't given a quantity, so will experiment.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    I've used this for years.. Even portions of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce & a good dose of Coke, with some crushed garlic and salt n pepper. Throw it all in a bag together and marinate for a few hours.....mint
    sako75 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    I've used this for years.. Even portions of tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce & a good dose of Coke, with some crushed garlic and salt n pepper. Throw it all in a bag together and marinate for a few hours.....mint
    Same here with this, I leave it overnight but other than that the same mix

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Mathias likes this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    I have found a marinade for venison that I intend to try out later next week.

Mix boysenberry juice and coke, and let venison marinade for 6 hours.

This is sufficiently simple that my unaccustomed-to-cooking brain can cope with it.

Any more complicated and my eyes start to glaze over.

Does anybody have really simple recipes for marinades using beer or red wine?
    More info please, what cut of meat and what do you want to do with it ??

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    More info please, what cut of meat and what do you want to do with it ??
    Hadn't thought that far, but for the sake of being specific, let's say back steaks, marinade them till they are melt in mouth tender.(If possible)

I guess I was just looking for a marinade that would work well on a variety of cuts.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Good venison backsteaks etc only require the addition of salt and a grind of black pepper. In the company of lots of butter in a hot frying pan it is perfection but dont overcook it.
    I will admit that plum sauce or quince jelly is a nice on the side.
    Venison for stews etc gets worstershire sauce red wine and dried garlic.
    Bad venison goes to the cat and if he doesnt want it the dogs.

Good venison cooked properly only requires salt to be both melt in the mouth tender and delicious..the two things that carry flavor to the palate are fat and salt...veni doesnt have fat(intramuscular at least) so it must have salt to carry its flavor...that said my go to is garlic and herb salt.

Some might say a marinade is a waste of good venison (and I may have even said that myself a few times) BUT if it is not good venison or you have been literally living on it for months/years it makes a nice change.

When I was literally feeding the family on veni if I marinaded my go to was Manuka honey (when it was like 5 bucks for a big punnet instead of 500 for a teaspoon) Lee and Perrins sauce and anything slightly tough or staggy just a touch of lemon juice or kiwifruit.

Chuck whatever you like in there but the core is the Worcester and the Honey and if it is tough or gamey at all the lemon/lime/kiwifriut but go light on all those last 3 or they can overpower the meat totally!
    If you dont have honey brown sugar or even just sugar is a fair replacement....it helps with the sear and caramelisation.
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Good venison cooked properly only requires salt to be both melt in the mouth tender and delicious..the two things that carry flavor to the palate are fat and salt...veni doesnt have fat(intramuscular at least) so it must have salt to carry its flavor...that said my go to is garlic and herb salt.

Some might say a marinade is a waste of good venison (and I may have even said that myself a few times) BUT if it is not good venison or you have been literally living on it for months/years it makes a nice change.

When I was literally feeding the family on veni if I marinaded my go to was Manuka honey (when it was like 5 bucks for a big punnet instead of 500 for a teaspoon) Lee and Perrins sauce and anything slightly tough or staggy just a touch of lemon juice or kiwifruit.

Chuck whatever you like in there but the core is the Worcester and the Honey and if it is tough or gamey at all the lemon/lime/kiwifriut but go light on all those last 3 or they can overpower the meat totally!
    If you dont have honey brown sugar or even just sugar is a fair replacement....it helps with the sear and caramelisation.
    I have plenty of chelsea syrup....
    veitnamcam likes this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I have never tried that but cant see why it wouldn't work!

Oh yea, just re read the OP.
    Virtually everything I slowcook/roast has beer in it....Anything ya stick in a slowcooker or covered roasting dish needs liquid added.....I generally go about 50/50 beer water but that is with a dark malty beer heading towards stout....if lager just replace all water with beer.
    Max Headroom likes this.

mmmmm hokey pokey venison....now that would be a change.... (Next time you make custard, chuck a tablespoon of the golden syrup in and stir until dissolved while the custard is still hot. Caramel custard........

Last lot of venny I did I used Barkers Korean BBQ sauce for a marinade and I thought it worked pretty well. Left it soaking in a covered bowl for a day or so then seared the meat in a pan and once brown added the rest of the marinade in and stired until all cooked (slowly) . Served over rice.

https://www.barkers.co.nz/catering-packs/ About half way down the page..... And no, they dont sell eggs....

Name:  barkers.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  114.2 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    mmmmm hokey pokey venison....now that would be a change.... (Next time you make custard, chuck a tablespoon of the golden syrup in and stir until dissolved while the custard is still hot. Caramel custard........

Last lot of venny I did I used Barkers Korean BBQ sauce for a marinade and I thought it worked pretty well. Left it soaking in a covered bowl for a day or so then seared the meat in a pan and once brown added the rest of the marinade in and stired until all cooked (slowly) . Served over rice.

https://www.barkers.co.nz/catering-packs/ About half way down the page..... And no, they dont sell eggs....

Attachment 118743
    Best stuff I've had was this

I've found that for Stew a good cup of coffee and some vege stock is nice.

Was cooked up done that had been marinaded with juniper berries, Mirin, rosemary and salt and pepper

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post

Attachment 118743
    just use brown sugar...does same thing....if you want really thick custard use mega milk with the orange lid....if want something different use flavoured milk...lime makes shrek snot!!!