Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 4 Post By Herindoors
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By CBH Australia
  • 1 Post By MB
  • 1 Post By tiroahunta
  • 1 Post By Herindoors
  • 1 Post By Herindoors
  • 1 Post By JLF

Thread: What to do with roasts

What to do with roasts

Doesn’t matter what I roast these days, I always put a few cups of water with it and smother it in compatible herbs and spices and usually salt and garlic. I always cover the roast and cook for an appropriate period of time for the size of the roast. Vegetables such as onions, pumpkin, potatoes etc. go in a couple of hours before the meat is cooked and the resulting juice is tipped in to a receptacle for later use. Fat rises to the top (surprise surprise) and is removed and put in a tree for the birds. The stock is brilliant for adding to dishes that require it and is frozen or refrigerated until needed.
    One such dish that I used it for was leftover roast pork in pork pot pie, when I over cooked the roast pork 😭

This turns the most unholy of badly cooked meat into a delicious triumph that will delight the recipients.

Preheat oven to 180C

Melt 3 tablespoons of butter and add 3 Tablespoons of flour. Stir until frothy then slowly add 2 cups of your stock, salt and pepper, and whisk in until all mixed and smooth.

Stir in 1 tsp thyme, 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard, 3 Cups leftover diced pork, 1tsp minced garlic and 2 cups of frozen mixed vegetables. Cook, stirring occasionally until heated through.

Pour into a prepared pie crust which has been placed in a greased pie dish. (I use filo pastry and a quiche dish). 4sheets of filo on the bottom and fold the edges over the filling before folding one sheet in four and placing on top. No need to baste but whatever floats your boat.

Bake for 20-30 minutes. Sit for a bit before cutting to allow it to set.

We had this for dinner tonight and will for the next three nights guys since I cut it into 8 pieces and I’m not bothered one bit. Neither is hubby who delights in my cooking skills among other things.

Let me know if you make it, I’d be interested in your feedback.

any leftover meat from our roasts is used for my sammies for lunch over next few days....back when I still cut roasts large..we would mince up cooked meat and top with mashed spuds a shepherds pie...pork was dry so adding apple sauce helps no end...mutton,the left over gravey was added along with half cup of water.... wonderful use of left over meats....
    your pie idea sounds great..the fat controller (daughter) gives me shit if catches me eating pies these days....
    CBH Australia likes this.

Lately I've been putting roasts of all shapes and sizes in the pressure cooker with some beef stock for about 90mins. Literally falls to bits when finished, goes real good in a wrap or some bread.

Quote Originally Posted by PadLo View Post
    Lately I've been putting roasts of all shapes and sizes in the pressure cooker with some beef stock for about 90mins. Literally falls to bits when finished, goes real good in a wrap or some bread.
    Shepherd's pie, doesn't have a crust so that counts for something.
    My preference, lamb, hogget, mutton all good or beef.

But sor sandwiches it's lamb, sliced cheddar cheese with salt and pepper. Not to mention we dish up a meal for leftovers anyway, yum.
    Micky Duck likes this.

MB
    Leftover roast goat meat gets diced small and goes in to a hot toasted pitta bread with greek yoghurt, tomatoes, cucumber, parsley and chilli sauce. We normally have it every night after a goat roast the night before. It's good.
    timattalon likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CBH Australia View Post
    Shepherd's pie, doesn't have a crust so that counts for something.
    My preference, lamb, hogget, mutton all good or beef.
    When it’s made from beef it’s a cottage pie.
    Shepherd’s don’t look after cows.

This thread is making me hungry.
    Roast meat is the best !
    Last edited by Moutere; 12-12-2021 at 08:55 AM.

I’ve always gone low n slow, with a bit of water. Turn up at end to cook the veg. Usually from frozen. It’s the timing of the veg/spuds that stuffs me up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ranger 888 likes this.

now its just Mrs n I at home I cut roasts rather small (hard to get head around cutting beautiful rear/ham of mutton into 3 pieces) it just works out better,as of late Mrs has been cooking them in crock pot.....too easy.

Well if you use filo pastry it has a lot less calories. WW recommends it. I agree with you, pork is dry unless you are cooking pork belly with the skin on. We skin our pigs so there’s never much fat so the pie is the way to go.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Oh to have a pressure cooker

2 hours for your veg at 180. Less if cutting small pieces.

But you can cook a whole leg o’ mutton and use cold for salads (lettuce is easy to grow) and the rest can be minced for shepherds pie which freezes ok.
    Micky Duck likes this.

dont know about the "we" business....from whats been posted it looks like you end up doing all the butchery work while the old boy off elsewhere!!!!!!!!
    oh if only I was so lucky.
    with carefull skinning you can leave a heap of fat on meat....the last 4 pigs I did all together actually have too much fat on them.... we still cook chops as they are but trim excess off before or during eating...makes the log burner go really well when chuck the fat n bones in afterwards,our wee brown cocker spaniel has been gone for a year and we still say"no Nugget" when chucking stuff in fire as he would try and get it out to scoff....

JLF
    Both roast pork, wild boar, chicken and cow are eaten cold the next day accompanied by a good vermouth or a good red wine, an excellent breakfast, especially when hunting.
    Micky Duck likes this.
    There is still gunpowder left, the Grim Reaper can wait.