Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 14 Post By Larrygoat
  • 1 Post By Bill999
  • 4 Post By country cuts
  • 1 Post By country cuts

Thread: What I did with "boary" pork

What I did with "boary" pork

Hi guys,

We traded a 6 month old boar for a "giant" boar for the freezer, the pork stinks, and tastes like it smells. But being part Dutch, it will not go to waste, we don't have a dog, so that's that's no go and our cats are ungrateful little shits.

So i tried my hand at dry cured/aged meat, nothing to lose I guessed. I settled on spicy chorizo and that cured pork/ham stuff cut finely on platters.

I was picking up beef from the butcher and got him to give me some natural casings, I hand diced the stinky pork, we had some fatty slices that looked like belly, recipe said 20% fat to be added to lean meat so figured it would be fine. Added spices, left in fridge for a couple of days, pulled out and diced it again (a bit coarse first time round).

How do you stuff sausages without a flash machine? Easy! We call them a "sausage gun" in the chippy world, but its a calking gun that can fit the normal tubes or "sausages" of glue. Fill in 2-3 inch depths, and try to avoid air bubbles, repeat until full. Put sausage sounds on nozzle and you are away.

I had a spare pork belly from a small porker that was getting a but old, so tried the platter ham stuff with that. I'll admit I had little idea how to make it, but I had bacon cure, and that's always a good start. Rolled the meat in bacon cure, vacuum packed it, left in the fridge for a week. After that pull it out and it's ready for drying.

Both the chorizo and belly got the same treatment, I bought cheap dry cure bags, but next time I would get better ones. Anyway, in the dry cure bags and then into the fridge until 40% weight reduction.

Name:  20211204_192122.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  3.17 MB
    Name:  20211204_190047.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  3.55 MB

Mrs Larry was pretty weary of it, but it got the better of her and she liked it.

Chorizo, tasty, and less boary, but still a bit boary, ill call it a success.

Thanks Lars

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Don't feed pork to dogs. Some areas have a bug they call go slow. Buggers your dogs.
    Cheers mate that's great to know. I have some old pork in the freezer i was going to feed to the hound !!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    Its not what you get but what you give that makes a life !!

Pickling is the best way I have found to fix strong pork. Or give it to the bro's. They don't seem to mind it. I do give them some good ones to though.
    Don't feed pork to dogs. Some areas have a bug they call go slow. Buggers your dogs.
    thats exactly what I was going to say
    some people love that pissy taste and have a pork is pork mentality
    I let others chew the stinky ones
    7mmwsm likes this.

Pickling is the best way I have found to fix strong pork. Or give it to the bro's. They don't seem to mind it. I do give them some good ones to though.
    It's not a bug it's trichinella larvae. Looks like sheep measles in pigs. Proper cooking and or freezing for 21 days kill it off. Humans can get it too

As far as I'm aware you can. Ivomectin is what they use I think there are a couple of different ones for humans. Common name is t spiralis or pork worm
    Moa Hunter likes this.

@Larrygoat A lot of dogs won't eat wild pork none of my farm dogs do. Mutton, goat, venison that's the stuff! A little bit of horse is quite popular too.
    I love the look of your chorizo and what are dry cure bags?

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    @Larrygoat A lot of dogs won't eat wild pork none of my farm dogs do. Mutton, goat, venison that's the stuff! A little bit of horse is quite popular too.
    I love the look of your chorizo and what are dry cure bags?
    A "hunt club" I was a part of used to feed the hounds horses alot of time, and bulls with broken legs/dicks, Harriers aren't fussy apparently. To be fair I hadn't used dry cure bags before, they are like vacuum pack bags, so in the vacuum pack machine they suck up and seal, but they let moisture out slowly. I have hung meat naked in the fridge and the outside gets hard as boiled leather in days, the bags allow more even drying throughout the meat. I also did some beef ribs, rolled in rosemary, a bit of pepper, in a dry cure bag for 10 days. When opened it didn't smell like much, and surface was a bit leathery, cooked it up in the oven, top notch.

Dry cure/age meat, definitely worth a play with, I believe down south you could get away with a "meat safe", but its to hot and humid up here.