Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 4 Post By chindit
  • 1 Post By Chelsea
  • 6 Post By country cuts
  • 1 Post By Russian 22.
  • 1 Post By hunt08
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 1 Post By Chelsea
  • 2 Post By Marty Henry

Thread: Wild pork sausage rolls

Wild pork sausage rolls

I have some wild pork that I minced into a sausage meat like consistency a while ago and I was thinking of whipping up some sausage rolls. Will it be any good? Anyone got a good recipe?
    Was fairly fatty but I used a batch to make rissoles that were so dry you’d choke on them 😑

You should make some. Your in South Waikato I may live close enough to risk my life leaving my bubble to do a taste test on several for you. Partial to a few sausage rolls, food of the gods.
    Dundee, Beaker, Steve123 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chindit View Post
    You should make some. Your in South Waikato I may live close enough to risk my life leaving my bubble to do a taste test on several for you. Partial to a few sausage rolls, food of the gods.
    You’ll possibly be more at risk from choking on how dry they turn out as opposed to covid
    Love a good sausage roll and have plenty of pastry and pork to make some.
    chindit likes this.

If they are dry mince some fat or fatty mutton up and add to it. For a quick and easy mix try get your hands on some sausage meal. Otherwise from scratch some salt and pepper garlic paprika and a little nutmeg and a oxo cube or 2. Use potatoe flakes for your binder and grated cheese with a diced onion. Mix in a bowl with a little water. For sausages or rissoles you want about 30-35% fat to lean read meat

Finely diced apple which you stew is nice. Mix together and it is really good.
    Chelsea likes this.

For fat you can get pork lard from the supermarket & mix in for a bit more fat
    Chelsea likes this.

if was fatty to begin with and ended up dry...you over cooked them....
    Chelsea likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    if was fatty to begin with and ended up dry...you over cooked them....
    Yeah I definitely over done them but I also ran out of sausage mix and filled the last of the sausage skins with some thinking it would be fine and those sausages were dry and nasty as hell. I hadn’t overcooked those so may have been because I had no sausage meal, I’m not sure. Will be giving them a crack today anyway. If it doesn’t work I’ll grab some lard and apple when I shoot into town Friday.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Streaky bacon could be the answer, bacon usually is😀
    veitnamcam and Micky Duck like this.

When we make sausages we also add about 35 percent ffatty pork to the venison. Wild pork is pretty lean too so you will definitely want to add some fat to it. Bacon sounds like a good idea. I made some Beef and Bacon sausages a few weeks ago. Damn fine.

Made the sausage rolls last night, tasted good but still a bit dry so will add some fat to the mix next time. I’m also going to buy some sausage meal because it’s amazing how different just that can make the meat.
    For fat what can I use that I can grab from the supermarket? Stupid question but does that lard sort of fat in the containers in the meat section work or would I need to use fat trimmings? I have a sheep getting done but not for a little bit.

streaky BACON.....would be ideal,just mince it. lard works ,sheep fat not the best. pork all the way.
    we had pork chops last night and the meat itself was tad dry...but very tasty especially the fattier bits. apple sauce is your friend...barkers make a good one with only a little spice to pick it up a bit....primo....pureed apple baby food in wee tin works in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Chelsea View Post
    Yeah I definitely over done them but I also ran out of sausage mix and filled the last of the sausage skins with some thinking it would be fine and those sausages were dry and nasty as hell. I hadn’t overcooked those so may have been because I had no sausage meal, I’m not sure. Will be giving them a crack today anyway. If it doesn’t work I’ll grab some lard and apple when I shoot into town Friday.
    Yep iv use the pork lard from supermarket as my only fat for sausages and salamis made from just venison