Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wood smoking goat

Wood smoking goat

Going for a goat hunt soon so after ideas.

Anyone tried hot smoking a goat leg before? A work mate usually sprays apple juice onto his pork legs with great effect.

So I thought I'd try something similar. But with some sort of spicy hot rub.

Cheers.

NRT
    Jamaican rub maybe

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Jamaican rub maybe

Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Good idea. My flat mate grows scotch bonnet etc

Yup... smoke the goat with your rifle, make sure its not laying anywhere near a watercourse, then walk away.

Stinky blody things. Yuck.

The worlds largest population of goat consumers disguise the flavour of the meat by nukeing it in curry. You probably can't go too far wrong with a good Vindaloo cooked over a smoky fire. I would think Manuka is too strong for goat meat so maybe maple would work well?

Name:  goat.jpg
Views: 450
Size:  5.3 KB

Here's a weed smoking goat.

Help much?
    kotuku, keneff, planenutz and 2 others like this.
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

Name:  download.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  7.5 KB

couple years ago we had a summer worker that would cook a goat over embers. rubbed a lot of salt on it. had a fire going to one side and would put the embers under the goat so he could control the heat. the goat younger nanny was split down the middle then tie to a stake that was on about a 45 degree into the ground, every now and then they would rotate the goat by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Yup... smoke the goat with your rifle, make sure its not laying anywhere near a watercourse, then walk away.

Stinky blody things. Yuck.

The worlds largest population of goat consumers disguise the flavour of the meat by nukeing it in curry. You probably can't go too far wrong with a good Vindaloo cooked over a smoky fire. I would think Manuka is too strong for goat meat so maybe maple would work well?
    Maybe mesquite or something like apple wood? I know what you mean about stinky Billy goats. Damn my day pack still smells of piss

Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    couple years ago we had a summer worker that would cook a goat over embers. rubbed a lot of salt on it. had a fire going to one side and would put the embers under the goat so he could control the heat. the goat younger nanny was split down the middle then tie to a stake that was on about a 45 degree into the ground, every now and then they would rotate the goat by hand.
    Don't know if I'll go that intricate just for a goat haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Maybe mesquite or something like apple wood? I know what you mean about stinky Billy goats. Damn my day pack still smells of piss

Don't know if I'll go that intricate just for a goat haha.
    Don’t chuck the pizzle in your pack, just the meat....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

If you want a wood smoke flavour, throw it in the cold smoker for a few hours to flavour it, then put it in an oven bag with a cup of mead and some herbs and spices to your liking and put it in the slow cooker on low hear for 8-10 hours. It will fall of the bone and be as tastie as.
    Russian 22. likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    If you want a wood smoke flavour, throw it in the cold smoker for a few hours to flavour it, then put it in an oven bag with a cup of mead and some herbs and spices to your liking and put it in the slow cooker on low hear for 8-10 hours. It will fall of the bone and be as tastie as.
    Cheers. I don't really have a cold smoker just an old weber. Might just have to hot smoke for 15 minutes and then off to the slow cooker.

Cheers for the recipe

Young goats are the way to go.
    Yummy cheap meal.
    Goat curry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep condition is the deciding factor
    a young female thats in good knick is great
    a young male that is on good feed is pretty good too

Iv cooked it on the fire when camping and as long as you are careful with not letting it burn it comes out good
    you cant do anything to a pissy smelling old goat worth carrying it out for
    I hate the goaty smell, cant even eat goat cheese tastes like the billygoat smells
    timattalon and keneff like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yep condition is the deciding factor
    a young female thats in good knick is great
    a young male that is on good feed is pretty good too

Iv cooked it on the fire when camping and as long as you are careful with not letting it burn it comes out good
    you cant do anything to a pissy smelling old goat worth carrying it out for
    I hate the goaty smell, cant even eat goat cheese tastes like the billygoat smells
    Feta and goat cheese are not the best, I agree, but Cannot eat? Blue cheese is the one I cannot eat. Smells like Vomit on toejam,. Chef at work put it into Mac n Cheese. Smelt like vomit, looked like vomit, tasted like vomit....I was half prepared to say, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is probably a .......in this case, bowl of warm vomit for lunch.....

And you are completely right, A young kid, male goat or semi mature nanny will cook up very well. We just do it like Lamb. Tender and falls off the bone. The billys are favoured by our local inidan neighbours as the curry matches the strong "Goaty" flavour of the Billy's.

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Feta and goat cheese are not the best, I agree, but Cannot eat? Blue cheese is the one I cannot eat. Smells like Vomit on toejam,. Chef at work put it into Mac n Cheese. Smelt like vomit, looked like vomit, tasted like vomit....I was half prepared to say, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is probably a .......in this case, bowl of warm vomit for lunch.....

And you are completely right, A young kid, male goat or semi mature nanny will cook up very well. We just do it like Lamb. Tender and falls off the bone. The billys are favoured by our local inidan neighbours as the curry matches the strong "Goaty" flavour of the Billy's.
    a creamy blue is divine, other stronger aren't palatable.

Its all horses for courses I will without hesitation spit out goat feta like your first teenage girlfriend