Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Wood smoking goat

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,155

    Wood smoking goat

    Going for a goat hunt soon so after ideas.

    Anyone tried hot smoking a goat leg before? A work mate usually sprays apple juice onto his pork legs with great effect.

    So I thought I'd try something similar. But with some sort of spicy hot rub.

    Cheers.

  2. #2
    NRT
    NRT is offline
    Member NRT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    dunedin
    Posts
    469
    Jamaican rub maybe

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    Jamaican rub maybe

    Sent from my TA-1025 using Tapatalk
    Good idea. My flat mate grows scotch bonnet etc

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Arrowtown
    Posts
    706
    Yup... smoke the goat with your rifle, make sure its not laying anywhere near a watercourse, then walk away.

    Stinky blody things. Yuck.




    The worlds largest population of goat consumers disguise the flavour of the meat by nukeing it in curry. You probably can't go too far wrong with a good Vindaloo cooked over a smoky fire. I would think Manuka is too strong for goat meat so maybe maple would work well?

  5. #5
    Member Max Headroom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Location
    Southland
    Posts
    2,626
    Name:  goat.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  5.3 KB

    Here's a weed smoking goat.

    Help much?
    kotuku, keneff, planenutz and 2 others like this.
    RIP Garry S. 23/08/19

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    christchurch
    Posts
    6,059
    Name:  download.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  7.5 KB

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    North island
    Posts
    986
    couple years ago we had a summer worker that would cook a goat over embers. rubbed a lot of salt on it. had a fire going to one side and would put the embers under the goat so he could control the heat. the goat younger nanny was split down the middle then tie to a stake that was on about a 45 degree into the ground, every now and then they would rotate the goat by hand.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by planenutz View Post
    Yup... smoke the goat with your rifle, make sure its not laying anywhere near a watercourse, then walk away.

    Stinky blody things. Yuck.




    The worlds largest population of goat consumers disguise the flavour of the meat by nukeing it in curry. You probably can't go too far wrong with a good Vindaloo cooked over a smoky fire. I would think Manuka is too strong for goat meat so maybe maple would work well?
    Maybe mesquite or something like apple wood? I know what you mean about stinky Billy goats. Damn my day pack still smells of piss

    Quote Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
    couple years ago we had a summer worker that would cook a goat over embers. rubbed a lot of salt on it. had a fire going to one side and would put the embers under the goat so he could control the heat. the goat younger nanny was split down the middle then tie to a stake that was on about a 45 degree into the ground, every now and then they would rotate the goat by hand.
    Don't know if I'll go that intricate just for a goat haha.

  9. #9
    Member tiroatedson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Te Awamutu Rural
    Posts
    1,454
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian 22. View Post
    Maybe mesquite or something like apple wood? I know what you mean about stinky Billy goats. Damn my day pack still smells of piss



    Don't know if I'll go that intricate just for a goat haha.
    Donít chuck the pizzle in your pack, just the meat....


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam and Russian 22. like this.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Auck
    Posts
    982
    If you want a wood smoke flavour, throw it in the cold smoker for a few hours to flavour it, then put it in an oven bag with a cup of mead and some herbs and spices to your liking and put it in the slow cooker on low hear for 8-10 hours. It will fall of the bone and be as tastie as.
    Russian 22. likes this.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Jafa land
    Posts
    3,155
    Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    If you want a wood smoke flavour, throw it in the cold smoker for a few hours to flavour it, then put it in an oven bag with a cup of mead and some herbs and spices to your liking and put it in the slow cooker on low hear for 8-10 hours. It will fall of the bone and be as tastie as.
    Cheers. I don't really have a cold smoker just an old weber. Might just have to hot smoke for 15 minutes and then off to the slow cooker.

    Cheers for the recipe

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    490
    Young goats are the way to go.
    Yummy cheap meal.
    Goat curry.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,570
    yep condition is the deciding factor
    a young female thats in good knick is great
    a young male that is on good feed is pretty good too

    Iv cooked it on the fire when camping and as long as you are careful with not letting it burn it comes out good
    you cant do anything to a pissy smelling old goat worth carrying it out for
    I hate the goaty smell, cant even eat goat cheese tastes like the billygoat smells
    timattalon and keneff like this.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Christchuch New Zealand
    Posts
    3,100
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    yep condition is the deciding factor
    a young female thats in good knick is great
    a young male that is on good feed is pretty good too

    Iv cooked it on the fire when camping and as long as you are careful with not letting it burn it comes out good
    you cant do anything to a pissy smelling old goat worth carrying it out for
    I hate the goaty smell, cant even eat goat cheese tastes like the billygoat smells
    Feta and goat cheese are not the best, I agree, but Cannot eat? Blue cheese is the one I cannot eat. Smells like Vomit on toejam,. Chef at work put it into Mac n Cheese. Smelt like vomit, looked like vomit, tasted like vomit....I was half prepared to say, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is probably a .......in this case, bowl of warm vomit for lunch.....

    And you are completely right, A young kid, male goat or semi mature nanny will cook up very well. We just do it like Lamb. Tender and falls off the bone. The billys are favoured by our local inidan neighbours as the curry matches the strong "Goaty" flavour of the Billy's.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Far North
    Posts
    2,570
    Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    Feta and goat cheese are not the best, I agree, but Cannot eat? Blue cheese is the one I cannot eat. Smells like Vomit on toejam,. Chef at work put it into Mac n Cheese. Smelt like vomit, looked like vomit, tasted like vomit....I was half prepared to say, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is probably a .......in this case, bowl of warm vomit for lunch.....

    And you are completely right, A young kid, male goat or semi mature nanny will cook up very well. We just do it like Lamb. Tender and falls off the bone. The billys are favoured by our local inidan neighbours as the curry matches the strong "Goaty" flavour of the Billy's.
    a creamy blue is divine, other stronger aren't palatable.

    Its all horses for courses I will without hesitation spit out goat feta like your first teenage girlfriend

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. WTB: Wood for goat horn trophy
    By Blisters in forum Buy, Sell or Swap
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 19-07-2017, 09:01 PM
  2. Smoking Goat
    By Pengy in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 13-03-2016, 05:28 PM
  3. Cold smoking
    By Munsey in forum Game Cooking and Recipes
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 20-10-2015, 06:30 PM
  4. Smoking barrels
    By phillipgr in forum Game Bird Hunting
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 14-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!