Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: 3D Printing

3D Printing

Morning everyone.

Ive got a 3D printer at my disposal and wondering what parts you’ve hand made that might benefit from being printed instead.

Reloading probably the main area as prints are not particularly strong / good in weather (depending on density & filament type)

Looking for ideas to make, happy to share files and prints too (within reason)

Im going to print the tool I made years ago that locks / unlocks bolts, and maybe a bigger reloading tray.

Cheers all
    57jl and Moa Hunter like this.

Bigger reloading tray would be cool. I use an RCBS one and it only holds 40, not quite enough for the 50 round boxes. Data holders for the side of the scope for the PRS and Long range guys. Scope covers. Shell holder tidies so you can keep all your shell holders in the one place, maybe numbered. Mini tripods for phones so you can take a decent selfie when you'd got one on the deck.

Had a couple of printed suppressors done and worked very good still got files.
    Anyone want SolidWorks design work doing just shout as I have own licensed program.

MB
    What 3D printer would you guys recommend for someone starting out and planning on printing small objects?

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitStu View Post
    Had a couple of printed suppressors done and worked very good still got files.
    Anyone want SolidWorks design work doing just shout as I have own licensed program.
    Crazy! id never considered printing any real firearm parts, i guess if theyre printed thick enough and from PETG or similar they might be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Bigger reloading tray would be cool. I use an RCBS one and it only holds 40, not quite enough for the 50 round boxes. Data holders for the side of the scope for the PRS and Long range guys. Scope covers. Shell holder tidies so you can keep all your shell holders in the one place, maybe numbered. Mini tripods for phones so you can take a decent selfie when you'd got one on the deck.
    Legend, a few good ideas in there, flick me a PM with your existing reloading tray measurements (particularly where the case sits in it) and Ill run a test print.

Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    What 3D printer would you guys recommend for someone starting out and planning on printing small objects?
    Ive got a Prusa Mk3s, handles everything ive thrown at it so far
    MB likes this.

Tray that does the primer flip and tube feed for a Forster coax primer. Might involve copy right infringement.

https://www.forsterproducts.com/prod...primer-seater/
    Husky1600 likes this.

I designed and printed some trigger guards when one got misplaced.
    A non-structural part that was ideal for printing.

Name:  Trigger guards.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  3.05 MB

Of course the lost one turned up after replacements were made.
    veitnamcam, johnd, Beaker and 8 others like this.

Just a reminder that certain essential firearms parts require a gun dealer licence to be manufactured if I remember well.
    Have fun otherwise.

@Husky1600..... what calibre and how many rounds do you want in your reloading tray???
    I made up ANOTHER one today....just for 44 magnum.
    got one for 223
    one for 22-250--------27one with bigger holes for .45/70

all I need is a plank of wood about 1" thick and I rule up some lines and set to it with electric drill and a spade bit of appropriate diameter.....

bring me a bit of wood the right size and will whip you up a new tray in no time.
    Bol Tackshin, 57jl and dannyb like this.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    @Husky1600..... what calibre and how many rounds do you want in your reloading tray???
    I made up ANOTHER one today....just for 44 magnum.
    got one for 223
    one for 22-250--------27one with bigger holes for .45/70

all I need is a plank of wood about 1" thick and I rule up some lines and set to it with electric drill and a spade bit of appropriate diameter.....

bring me a bit of wood the right size and will whip you up a new tray in no time.
    The RCBS ones are great, about the right size so as not to take up too much room on the reloading bench. They have lots of holes - 80, every second one is for large rifle/magnum, and every other second one is for small rifle 222/223 size. Same size with just 50 large rifle holes rather than 80 of 2 sizes would be great. When I get back home, will have a measure up.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    can you print magazines for .22 rifles or is that a no-no ?

Be easier than the import hassle
    Have seen it done. But the problem with most 22's is the magazine cutout is designed for a sheet metal type magazine, With 3D printing you need a bit more "bulk" in the material to keep it strong. That then means the magazine port needs to be adjusted to fit the bulkier mags, not a path most 22 owners are prepared to go down.

I have printed mags for 22s. Its tricky to get them reliable and the springs can be hard to make, but it is possible. Average magazine takes me about 5 or 6 prototypes to get a design that works.

I have been printing powder funnels that sit on the shoulder of the case and have the correct size to funnel into the neck. I have about 5 or 6 so far and they work really well, you just plop the funnel on top of the case and its steady enough to hold itself in place. I printed mine from ABS and smoothed the funnel section off with acetone then lubed lightly with graphite so you dont get pesky kernels of powder sticking to the funnel.

I have also printed pistol grips of various types and they hold up great. My dog got hold of a failed print and was chewing on it for 3 or 4 days and couldnt break it, and hes a destructive bastard

I have printed tons of rimfire suppressors and they work really well with some good design. A great tip is to buy knurled muzzle thread protectors the right thread for your barrel, print the hole in the back of the suppressor about 0.7mm smaller than the OD of the thread protector and then heat the threat protector up and press into the back of the suppressor. If done properly this gives a super solid lockup and I broke the suppressor before I broke the thread protector to suppressor joint. You just have to make sure the protector goes in concentric and parallel to the baffle holes, or make the holes well oversize.

I have printed rimfire magazine holders that glue to the side of a stock and hold a CZ mag, have also done cheek risers, small parts trays for disassembling firearms, plus a bunch of other random bits.

I mostly use ABS for parts that will see some load and print at 100% infill. I like ABS as you can glue multiple parts together using acetone, you can also sand and then smooth parts with acetone to get a very professional look rather easily. Its also cheap.

hmmmm a printed version of the slip on suppressors for .22lr would be interesting idea.....you could play with length and muzzle placement with ease....
    75/15/10 black powder matters