Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Hill Climb
  • 1 Post By Hill Climb
  • 1 Post By Husky1600

Thread: Advice on adjusting the choke of an old skb shotgun

Advice on adjusting the choke of an old skb shotgun

Hello,

Earlier this year once I got my forearms license my old man gifted to me his SKB semi auto 12g shotgun, which was bought brand new by my grandfather and passed on to him. Due to the age of the rifle it cannot shoot steel shot rendering it fairly useless at shooting ducks. I was told by a mate that the choke can easily be altered by a competent gunsmith and i thought I'd look into it, before proceeding I was just wondering what model this shotgun is, what adjustments would be ideal for duck shooting and any other general advice?

For reference I have added photos of the shotgun.Name:  imagejpeg_0(2).jpg
Views: 169
Size:  119.1 KBName:  imagejpeg_0(3).jpg
Views: 201
Size:  138.0 KBName:  imagejpeg_0.jpg
Views: 185
Size:  147.6 KB
    Moa Hunter likes this.

That is a fair point to make, I have already bought a reminton 870 to use for this season and it's doing great. Maybe I keep the SKB the safe in original condition as a sentimental gun rather than the go to.
    mikee likes this.

it will be fine for shooting bunnies or possums with lead....and its a relatively simple matter to have chokes opened up a little bit to use LIGHTER loads of steel...30-32grns loads work great....
    75/15/10 black powder matters

Would be a nice shotgun to keep on hand, perfect for rabbits or hares or wallabies. And perfectly ok for ducks or geese over paddocks. And use the 870 on ducks over water. Best of both worlds. And dont get too hung up on what choke it is, learn to shoot well and whatever choking usually becomes a non event. The only reason I would open the choke on that shotgun would be for steel, and if you think that is necessary, a competent gunsmith can do it for you.
    Micky Duck likes this.