Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Walker

Thread: Anyone tried the 6mmSLR?

Anyone tried the 6mmSLR?

Wondering if anyone has tried the round, mainly as I've built a number of 6 remms. 243's, 243 ackley and a couple of brx's for F open. Reading about it looks like the best balance of speed v barrel life, hense the question.
    muzr257 likes this.

Nope but I do have the parent case...6.5 SLR...or is it the other way around. Think the 6mm SLR might have come first!

Its a good calibre, the long neck makes it attractive. The guys normally forms cases from 243Win.

Works great.

LRP
    Yeah I have one and it goes well. My version is called the 243BR-K. See link attached "243 BR-K" (6BR Long) Wildcat Delivers 3450 fps with 95gr VLDs « Daily Bulletin

The 6 CM might be just as good ?

The 6 CM would have as big a boiler room as you'd probably want to go unless you really don't care about barrel life. I'm guessing they're good for 800-1000 full-noise rounds. They're bigger than a 6x47L so have to be worse if you're running them fully.

There's no way past the trade-off between wind drift and barrel life. That .243 BR-K is only 20% better than a BR so you'd have to go right up to a 6-284 to make great inroads into wind drift. If 600 rounds per barrel doesn't scare you, fill ya boots

LRP
    The 6 SLR or BR-K are just subtle variations on the 243 parent case. Just a changed shoulder angle for a longer neck and a move of the "turbulence point" to a place less erosive to the throat region. I would be keen to hear from the 6CM guys re how close they are running to the 243 capacity cases, with the small primer ?

Had a 6-284 very fun and explosive. Did read an articual 243 v 6cm and the 243 has apparently a 12% larger capacity so in theory the SLR drops 2% which gives a 10% capacity over the CM. I've tried 105 amax's in my savage hunter and with 2217 can get 3000fps with 22" barrel.