Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: AR-10 Bush gun

AR-10 Bush gun

Name:  AR-10.jpg
Views: 1402
Size:  500.3 KB

This is my little project, DPMS AR-10, stainless Bull barrel, I got it second hand for a good price, the only problem was the weight being just under 12lb, time for some boilermaker's tinkering, the barrel has been shortened, red dot optic fitted, suppressor fitted and the gas hole slightly opened to allow more gas flow, tomorrow is the test day to see if enough gas pressure will be created to allow it to function correctly, if it does I will skim the barrel down a little to reduce the weight a little more, I should be able to get it down to around 7 1/2-8lbs.
    ARdave, 308, Bernie and 2 others like this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    You might TIG the gas port closed and drill another one closer to the action, sort of carbine length gas. Then you can go shorter barrel or run a decent over barrel suppressor.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

I am hoping with the increased gas port size and pressure from the suppressor I can avoid moving the actual port itself, time will tell and fun will be had on the way.
    ishoot10s likes this.

Probably would have .been best to leave the gas port as is, they are little or lots over gassed usually
    steven likes this.

The recoil impulse before was quite mild, the barrel is about 8" shorter, the port is currently less than 3" from the muzzle, fingers crossed I don't have to change it, no stress if I have to, its all part of the process.

The function test went without a hitch, three different brands of ammo, three different projectile weights and around 40 rounds with no problems, I'm a happy man.
    308, steven and Nick-D like this.

Thanks for putting this up, I think that there are a few of us going down this route
    steven likes this.

That sure is pretty. Any vids from testing?

Do you find that those stocks vibrate when you fire? I shot a Windham on the weekend with the other version of that stock, no pistol grip brace, and it vibrated like crazy while shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by JayColli View Post
    That sure is pretty. Any vids from testing?
    I have one really bad cell video of a semi fast 7 round test, its real grainy so not worth putting up, nothing to do with the fact I was standing flat footed and gained a slight backwards lean...........hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    Do you find that those stocks vibrate when you fire? I shot a Windham on the weekend with the other version of that stock, no pistol grip brace, and it vibrated like crazy while shooting.
    I haven't noticed any vibrations from the stock, it could do with an extension on the stock for me, at 6'3" the length of pull is a little short, at some stage it will get a better trigger group, the one in it has a lumpy feeling creep, polishing certain parts may help a little but I like the timney triggers, I put one in my rem 700 and its great.

Glu
    We are working on a new adjustable target buttplate and check riser for the AIL stocks . You will be able to buy a complete stock or just the components to change your existing stock .
    steven and anderset20 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glu View Post
    We are working on a new adjustable target buttplate and check riser for the AIL stocks . You will be able to buy a complete stock or just the components to change your existing stock .
    @Glu a quick bit of unsolicited feedback for you. I am super impressed with my AIL stock, if you have to have an A cat stock this is the one to get.
    anderset20 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Glu View Post
    Sounds interesting, more info please. When? where? pics?

Std? = http://www.seriousshooters.co.nz/nz-...idp612321.html

I would be interested in the adjust-ability.....
    Last edited by steven; 22-08-2014 at 11:13 AM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

Glu
    We had been asked about a target version by several of our retail customers and it is still on the drawing board . They will be able to fit AR223 and 308 plus the bolt action chassis that use AR stocks . Not sure when it will be ready it is in the development stage and we have a lot to sort out .