Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 1 Post By Jacobite

Thread: AR15 Upper Vise Block and Wrenchs Recomendations

AR15 Upper Vise Block and Wrenchs Recomendations

Bought a new rail for my AR today and then realised that I needed to remove the gasblock and barrel nut since this rail in question (Seekins Precision MCSR) has a tailor barrel nut rather than the milspec one. This obviously necessitates a wrench and upper vice block. Are there any that you guys would recommend I go for or any to stay away from? I have seen mixed comments about the aimsports ones for example and would hate to ruin a $300 part thanks to a bad tool!

Failing that if there is anybody in and around Welly that has some and would be willing to let me borrow or use them for an hour in exchange for some beer or ammo that would most appreciated!

Get one of these:
    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod27452.aspx
    When you apply force to the barrel it's held by the steel barrel extension which is much stronger than the alloy upper.

Thanks 300CALMAN. I think Magpul does something similar that also works as a lower vice block. Will this sort of thing also work for removing and then re-installing the gasblock?

Aliexpress has vice blocks, may be cheaper on ebay

dogmatix likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacobite View Post
    Thanks 300CALMAN. I think Magpul does something similar that also works as a lower vice block. Will this sort of thing also work for removing and then re-installing the gasblock?
    If it's screwed on then it'e simple otherwise if the gas block is pinned you can use a block of wood and a thin pin punch to knock them out. Not a fun job. Have a look on youtube.

@specweapon and @mikee I'm looking at kiwi suppliers atm, kind of itching to get it installed and really don't feel like waiting on shipping.
    @S.E.G That's good to know, I know that NZAR15 stocks those but wasn't sure if they were a goer as I've seen some people have had bad experiences with Wheeler Wrenches.
    @300CALMAN I know there are two set screws in the bottom of the gas block facing up and then there is one in the top as well but I think that is for the tube itself. I haven't looked too hard at it yet which I really should do. Fingers crossed it is the screw type, I really don't like knocking pins out! WI has one of those Barrel Extension Torque Tools in stock so I may go down that route if it works for Gasblock stuff as well.

Has anybody used one of GunsNZ's AR Wrenchs?? I know they are made in China but they do come with a Lifetime Guarantee from GunsNZ so that makes me a little more confident in them,

Just an update,

I went with one of GunsNZ's wrenches, feels heavy and solid and seems to do the job well, good amount of grip on both a standard barrel nut and also a free float tube nut. I also went with the Barrel Extension which while a bit awkward to use since you keep it vertical it certainly feels a lot nicer to use than I imagine a vice-block. I've got one of those coming but I am quite glad I went with a barrel extension as the amount of force that it took to remove the barrel nut was well in excess of the 30-80 ft pounds it should have been. I actually ended up having to get a gunsmith to remove the original barrel nut as I was terrified of damaging the receiver even with the barrel extension. He was not impressed with whatever muptard put it on. I don't think this was a fault of either the wrench or the extension that I couldn't get it undone but more that it was a problem that couldn't be solved without specilised knowledge/experiance. I had tried heating the nut, banging on it, using a breaker bar and soaking the thing in Kroil. Nothing.

Anyway putting the new nut on was very easy with those two tools. I made up an adapter for the vice up out of plywood to hold it firmly and level and cranked up the barrel extension firmly without having to worry about the receiver being stressed. I'd recommend both for barrel changes. Lining up the gastube is fairly easy as well as you can look down through the upper and see the alignment while you crank on the extension. As far as the upper vice block goes, I haven't had a chance to use it yet since the TM seller was a bit tardy in the shipping. However I could see that being a use for any rail installation work or sight work.

As an aside if you are in the Wellington region and have need of any of this stuff flick me a PM, I'm happy to lend it out as long it doesn't get damaged etc.
    res likes this.