Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree35Likes
  • 15 Post By norsk
  • 2 Post By norsk
  • 4 Post By akaroa1
  • 1 Post By norsk
  • 1 Post By ghosts
  • 1 Post By gonetropo
  • 3 Post By akaroa1
  • 7 Post By norsk

Thread: Bearded Axe! Yes really!

Bearded Axe! Yes really!

I am a fan of Axes,I have a few nice ones and use one on pretty much a daily basis. I have been looking for a Skeggøx ,Skegg (beard) øx (Axe) for a while.One axe head turned up and I bought it for myself for Chirstmas.This one looks pretty old,someone had cleaned off the Rust which was nice and blacked the Head.It had a few garks out of the edge and a chip here and there but I was wrapt with it.

This kind of Axe has been in Scandinavia from the 6th Century,they were used as tools in some form as well as weapons in another.This one would have been a general purpose type of Axe,some of this type were used to hew beams but they would have had a bias edge,like a chisel to keep the axe head running along the Beam as it was used.Also the weight of this Axe 4.5 kilo suggests it was made to be swung with two hands...

Enough of that.

I was scratching around in the basement looking at some planks to make a handle from when I found a bit of Oak with a curious bend in the Grain.I needed a bit that was 6 cm thick to match the eye of the Axe and none of the Ash I had was thick enough.I remember milling this Oak but it was so horrible and twisty that it split to pieces when I tried to dry it and I cut most of it up for firewood.But by Chirst was it hard.

Usually I cut down to the outline of the handle with a handsaw,but this Wood was too hard,out with Mr Stihl.

I used the Rasp alot more than Usual,I normally make handles from Ash,most of its pretty soft in comparison .Didn't take too long to bring it up to shape.

A bit of work with little hand Planes and the giant Hatchet was taking a nice shape.Time to get the detail sander out and have a Beer.

After some Rape Seed Oil and a night sitting behind the Log Burner it turned out pretty good.Its a massive thing to try and use one handed.You can do it but you need both hands to lever it out of the chopping block once its sailed thorugh the kindling and buried itself an inch deep.

"Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

How long is it? Looking at the first pictures it looks to be about 3/4 of the length on a 'normal' axe. But the last picture makes it look like a hatchet. I'm guessing its about 60cm-75cm in overall length...?

Neat.
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

The cutting edge is 32cm long,the overall length is 48 cm,so you are nor far off.
    timattalon and Ingrid 51 like this.

Snap @norsk I spent yesterday afternoon making some antique marples chisels usable again

Name:  20210105_095340.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  966.0 KB

Very nice!

Most of my hand planes are wooden ones,I dont have many chisels but they are all old ones.
    6x47 likes this.

That bearded axe would be great for splitting animals in half.

Neat. I collect axe heads amongst others to. ''Plumb, Kellys tru temper and old trade heads etc. Nice to see others with similar ideas.
    Micky Duck likes this.

damn short chain bar on that stihl or was it just a cold day ?
    Micky Duck likes this.

NRT
    That's cool ,perfect match that bit of oak,how old is the axe head roughly.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk

And today's job move my pre 1880 Peter Wright Patent anvil back into the workshop and knock off the worst of the rust with a flap wheel
    Old tools are cool
    Name:  20210105_113322.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  1.39 MB
    timattalon, Micky Duck and berg243 like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    And today's job move my pre 1880 Peter Wright Patent anvil back into the workshop and knock off the worst of the rust with a flap wheel
    Old tools are cool
    Attachment 157431
    Just a pup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSL
    Get the anvil first, takes a while to find what you want, whereas sheds are easy to come by

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by NRT View Post
    That's cool ,perfect match that bit of oak,how old is the axe head roughly.

Sent from my Nokia 7 plus using Tapatalk
    I have no idea sorry.
    This one is ancient though, it's a German pole Axe .The eye has been lap welded instead of formed with a Mandrel.

This could be 14th/15th century according to the bloke that looked at it last year.I scored a pair of them that had been in a small museum in Denmark.
    Attached Images Attached Images