Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Bell and Carson rescue

Cool Bell and Carson rescue

Some of you may recall I put feelers out for a more rigid stock for my model 70 a few weeks ago bonus points if it was a monte carlo style.
    Well after not much luck along comes me old mate @Ryan_Songhurst who sent me a message alluding to a Bell and Carson stock he had left over from a previous rifle.
    Said stock was glass with internal aluminum skeleton and bedding block and bonus it was a monte carlo style stock.
    It just needed a slight cosmetic repair........
    "Slight"

Name:  20200908_150126.jpg
Views: 507
Size:  3.69 MB

Ryan was upfront and fessed up to getting impatient whilst sanding it back and decided to speed up the process by using a flappy disc on an angle grinder......well it didn't end well but he agreed to send the stock to me for nix if I was happy to get it repaired.
    What a gc but hey that's how we roll and we help each other out
    Anyway I assessed the stock when it arrived and deemed it beyond my agricultural artisan skills, this was for a gentleman's rifle not a hack after all
    I contacted a local who specializes in plastic welding and fiberglass repairs and he agreed to take on the job and was very confident he could fix it.
    3 days later I get a message from the repairer "all done, would you like me to spray it and finish it off with a rubberized coating for better grip ?" Of course I accepted his offer and was able to pick up my stock that evening.
    I think he's done a bloody great job and I'm very pleased with the results and my new rigid monte carlo stock.
    Big ups to you Rysn for helping a fellow gentleman out and as always you if there's ever anything I can help ya with just sing out.

Name:  20200923_155032.jpg
Views: 504
Size:  5.66 MB

Name:  20200923_160050.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  3.60 MB

Name:  20200923_160106.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  4.29 MB
    jakewire, 7mmsaum, Tahr and 19 others like this.
    #DANNYCENT

In my defence:

A. I didn't "accidentally" make that gaping big hole in it, just once I had damaged it I thought oh well its rooted now, I'll open it right up to be nosey and see how it's constructed

B. I am a dairy farmer, the great durability testers of all things

Stock looks great mate, I'm sure some work could go that fellas way if he can turn out jobs like that.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

....if you’d rounded the sharp edges off, little bit of big and paint, you’d have something that’d be ....
    Different, funky, light....

Yeah, ok, I’m only a truck driver with rural roots. Maybe abit ruff around the edges as well.
    Looks good Danny
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Plus the mighty 270 deserves the best.
    Moa Hunter, Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    Farmers Feed The World..
    The Only Thing Not Delivered By Truck Are Babies...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    In my defence:

A. I didn't "accidentally" make that gaping big hole in it, just once I had damaged it I thought oh well its rooted now, I'll open it right up to be nosey and see how it's constructed

Stock looks great mate, I'm sure some work could go that fellas way if he can turn out jobs like that.
    Unintended omission bud I fugured it was pretty obvious no one sands that aggressively even with a flappy disc on a grinder

Cheers for the stock mate I'm really pleased with how it's come up. I owe you.....again
    #DANNYCENT

That came up well. You know it's not a Monte Carlo though right?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    That came up well. You know it's not a Monte Carlo though right?
    Oh ? The raised cheek rest is what I have always referred to as "monte carlo" please enlighten me ?
    #DANNYCENT

In my defence:

Just as well you did. Save's everyone else with one the trouble. Their made a lot more solid than I thought.
    veitnamcam and dannyb like this.

Monte Carlo refers to a raised comb where there's a pronounced step down to the butt when viewed from the side. Yours would be a straight or classic style stock with cheekpiece, not a Monte Carlo with cheekpiece. Personally I prefer a straight stock like yours over a true Monte Carlo, as long as the comb is high enough.

Not that the exact name makes a blind bit of difference to how it looks or works of course!
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulNZ View Post
    Monte Carlo refers to a raised comb where there's a pronounced step down to the butt when viewed from the side. Yours would be a straight or classic style stock with cheekpiece, not a Monte Carlo with cheekpiece. Personally I prefer a straight stock like yours over a true Monte Carlo, as long as the comb is high enough.

Not that the exact name makes a blind bit of difference to how it looks or works of course!
    Cheers always learning, it was the shape I wanted either way so I'm happy with what I got. The factory stock was straight with no raised cheek piece at all and didn't feel right to me, the b & c also has a much thicker palm swell which suites my Sasquatch like hands.
    #DANNYCENT

In my defence:

Your cows got any tits left

That stock has come up a treat, I think anyone would be happy with that job.
    dannyb likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooseman View Post
    That stock has come up a treat, I think anyone would be happy with that job.
    +1

Some nice workmanship there. I like that rubberized touch idea. Well done that man.
    dannyb likes this.

Nicely done.

What does that rubberised coating feel like & how durable is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    Nicely done.

What does that rubberised coating feel like & how durable is it?
    Feels nice and grippy without being too course, it's used in industrial applications for floors and steps so should be pretty hard wearing
    Tahr and Seventenths like this.
    #DANNYCENT