Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree226Likes

Thread: BSA 243

BSA 243

So- got this from Bruce-Tahr-who transported it for me from Mr Songhurst- couplee weeks ago- finally took the bolt apart, she's a bit cruddy .....

Cleaned all the parts- gave some polish.

I'm gonna sort the rings and mount a scope- and probably strip and replace the stock and probably recut the chequering.

Question is- what do I lube the internals with? Grease for the spring?

Name:  20211231_151725.jpg
Views: 1182
Size:  3.36 MB
    Name:  20211231_152859.jpg
Views: 1185
Size:  3.40 MB
    Name:  20211231_154148.jpg
Views: 1112
Size:  2.88 MB
    Name:  20211231_154635.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  2.95 MB
    Name:  20211231_161332.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  4.15 MB

Cheers.

Its a damn nice little rifle and will come up very nice in Ant's craftmans' hands.
    ANTSMAN, BSA270 and kukuwai like this.

I would suggest just some light oil....

Yes, light oil. Definitely not grease! It will cause misfires, especially in cold weather.

Ah yep makes sense!
    trigger needs some attention- a good clean up at the least- breaks at maybe 4lb

I have never used any Inox products but the MX3 spray should be fine. WD40 and CRC 556 are also OK but my preference is for a fine layer of non-gumming oil like 3 in 1, or US military LSA (Lubricant, Small Arms) which comes in half-pint cans.

This is the Viscount action. I have spare parts for this model if you need anything. I have 4 rifles with this action.
    Tahr, veitnamcam, Bill999 and 5 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    This is the Viscount action. I have spare parts for this model if you need anything. I have 4 rifles with this action.
    thankyou mate! may come in handy

Quote Originally Posted by garyp View Post
    Good on you guys for keeping these guns going, as someone with roots in Birmingham it's a tragedy what happened to BSA.

The bigger tragedy is how many perfectly good BSA CRF actions like the Viscount and Majestic got scrapped by UK gundealers as their resale value as a used rifle was nominal.

Not uncommon for the stocks to end up as firewood, what a shame
    ANTSMAN and BSA270 like this.

BSA
    I have one of these in 7x57, How did you pull the bolt apart. I also have a Monarch in 30-06 and assume the procedure would be the same for that as well. Cheers. They work just fine but must be due for a good clean/inspection. I have looked up instructions but must be doing something wrong.??
    ANTSMAN and BSA270 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by BSA View Post
    I have one of these in 7x57, How did you pull the bolt apart. I also have a Monarch in 30-06 and assume the procedure would be the same for that as well. Cheers. They work just fine but must be due for a good clean/inspection. I have looked up instructions but must be doing something wrong.??
    I just Joogle searched it-
    Put bolt in rifle
    Close bolt
    Lift bolt part way
    Apply safety
    Lift bolt and remove
    Can now unscrew rear shroud with captive 2 piece firing pin/spring combo.
    Need to compress the spring to then slider the front part of pin off of the rear part of pin

To remove the safety from shroud-
    rotate the safety to whichever position will let the safety pin move sideways and out of the shroud
    Have to be CAREFUL of the little safety plunger and spring- flying out- Theyre tiny!

Removing bolt from rifle
    From cocked and closed.
    Lift handle
    Pull trigger and bolt "should" come out of action.

Quote Originally Posted by caberslash View Post
    Good on you guys for keeping these guns going, as someone with roots in Birmingham it's a tragedy what happened to BSA.

The bigger tragedy is how many perfectly good BSA CRF actions like the Viscount and Majestic got scrapped by UK gundealers as their resale value as a used rifle was nominal.

Not uncommon for the stocks to end up as firewood, what a shame
    man that's a shame alright!
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    Ah yep makes sense!
    trigger needs some attention- a good clean up at the least- breaks at maybe 4lb
    anyone with any links to how to disassemble trigger and adjust be appreciated.

This is me 243 BSA that I got from @ryansonghurst.

Name:  20211220_165135.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  5.41 MB
    Name:  20211220_165155.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  4.98 MB
    Name:  20211220_165210.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  3.73 MB
    Name:  20211220_165222.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  4.54 MB

The early BSA triggers were 3 lever, and the later model 2 lever. The relationship of the parts is critical and great care must be taken during disassembly to note the correct position of the bent wire spring. Remove the trigger assembly from the rifle (screw and cross pin) taking care not to lose the ejector coil spring when the trigger is withdrawn from the action. The upper tubular pin can be removed with a correct sized punch and a bench block. This will allow the sear and bent wire spring to be removed, taking care to note the exact position of the spring. The bottom pin allows removal of the trigger and small coil spring. The remaining pin allows removal of the third lever (if present). Clean and lightly oil all components and check for rust patches inside the housing plates. With a very fine Arkansas stone you can polish the mating surfaces, taking care to maintain the proper angles and not round off any edges. Reassemble in the reverse order. Some trigger weight adjustment is possible with the small screw in the trigger. Other adjustment requires some skill to safely adjust the sear bent angle with a the stone.
    Bill999, Micky Duck and BSA270 like this.