Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree49Likes
  • 25 Post By Louie
  • 6 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 5 Post By timattalon
  • 9 Post By Pondmeister
  • 1 Post By Got-ya
  • 1 Post By hunter Al.7mm08

Thread: DIY Gun Vice

DIY Gun Vice

I couldn't bring myself to spend the coin on a plastic gun vice so I whipped up this lil ripper out of some scrap bits of Rimu and car seat leather.

Name:  280260093_713344269867189_7752655523742930394_n.jpg
Views: 821
Size:  80.0 KBName:  280381371_5118232644930203_4748209232318793590_n.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  78.3 KBName:  280276503_708327860217611_5880195024894692796_n.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  73.2 KB
    Brian, tetawa, Beaker and 22 others like this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Will the rifle sit muzzle down? I prefer it that way for cleaning my rifles, as any solvent overflow or crud flows out the muzzle and not into the action.
    Cutting another narrower slot in the bottom of your fore-end notch would allow you to sit the rifle further back with barrel (not fore-end) in the notch sloping downhill, giving you both options.

I like your style sir. I do agree with Cigar on the barrel down suggestion for the same reason.

Easy enough to make a shim for the grip rest that elevates the butt a few degrees. It's a nice piece of work, I made one similar a few years from custom wood off cuts. Never let that stuff get wet it like wetbix.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Yeah good point fellas, it's the first draft and each piece is just screwed in place. I might make the grip rest so that it sits in place on dowels so it could be swapped with a higher rest for cleaning or cut the notch if I've got some more leather around.
    Last edited by Louie; 13-05-2022 at 03:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Easy enough to make a shim for the grip rest that elevates the butt a few degrees. It's a nice piece of work, I made one similar a few years from custom wood off cuts. Never let that stuff get wet it like wetbix.
    Just put a pair of adjustable feet under the rear, or even just a block that it can clip onto ...Perhaps out of a small piece of left over rimu...
    Intelligence has its limits, but it appears that Stupidity knows no bounds......

Another Rifle vice

Hi
    Coincidently I have just made one for my grandson based on plans I found on the Internet, surprisingly the cam clamp does work.
    I have another one cut out and are in progress of assembly it for myself, also screwed together so if the cam clamp does not hold up in service I can easily modify to use a screw clamp like Louie's or cheat and use a 150mm quick trigger clamp

Name:  Rifle Vice side view IMG_1119 copy.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  3.57 MBName:  Rifle vice showing clamping cam IMG_1121 copy.jpg
Views: 855
Size:  2.91 MB

Got a link to those plans?
    Happy Jack likes this.

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by Pondmeister View Post
    Hi
    Coincidently I have just made one for my grandson based on plans I found on the Internet, surprisingly the cam clamp does work.
    I have another one cut out and are in progress of assembly it for myself, also screwed together so if the cam clamp does not hold up in service I can easily modify to use a screw clamp like Louie's or cheat and use a 150mm quick trigger clamp

Attachment 198127Attachment 198128
    Tell us more about that BSA

geeez you fellas are really flash...mine is just an open sided box with two longer bits of the end 8x3/4" sticking up proud..one end has small notch to hold barrel and the other a big V with some pool noodle over the wood.... all my cleaning stuff sits either inside the box on on top under the rifle...my son whipped it up at highschool for me.
    75/15/10 black powder matters

I felt inspired by this thread after struggling to mount a few scopes lately. Had a few off cuts and some spare time so knocked this together. The clamp system is fairly basic,just a slot with a bolt through it. Slide the block hard against the stock and tighten the nut. Not the prettiest but it works.

Sent from my SM-G525F using Tapatalk
    Louie likes this.