Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: DIY rifle rest/sandbags

DIY rifle rest/sandbags

I'm going to bust out the sewing machine this weekend with my Form 2 home economics sewing skills and make some front and rear sandbag rests.

Anyone out there got some picture of their setups as I could use some inspiration?
    country cuts likes this.

Clean and dried sand in a breadbag, tie a knot, then stuff it into an old (clean) worksock and tie that off. Very stable and easy to use.
    I have seen others use walnut tumbling media instead, this works well. You can also use an old jeans leg sewed shut instead of a sock. Don't be tempted by beanbag fill, it moves around way too much, I tried it for an ultralight hunting rear bag and it was pretty much useless.

Got a few pairs of jeans lined up for the project. Definitely using a plastic bag inserted in whatever I see up.
    Puffin likes this.

The first one I made didn't have a liner. Sand fucking everywhere.

Sand in at least two plastic bags to stop mishaps and then put in short bits of old jean legs with ends sewn . Have used the same ones for over 20 years. Although the odd puff of fine dust now, so picking bags aren't as they were. Made 3 about 250mm long but not ridged tight so you can shape them and stack them. Up cycling at it's best!

Funny ! I just spent the last two nights making a gun rest/gun butler to bore sight my 303 .
    Its made out of a old pine wood pallet.
    Wasnt too hard to make , just getting the gun to sit even was a bit of a mission but its done now

.Name:  20210716_200915.jpg
Views: 1785
Size:  1.22 MB
    Last edited by Jusepy; 16-07-2021 at 09:54 PM. Reason: photo
    Micky Duck and paremata like this.
    Patience Is A Virtue

My wife made me three several years back, which are still good. She used hea yweight calico cloth from Spotlight. Each measures about 12"*4"* 6" and filled not to tightly with dry sand. These replicate pretty well similar recoil characteristics to shooting off your hunting pack.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

makes cleaning them easy too bud.... you can bore sight that out any window where you can see 50-100 yards...DONT DO THIS in plain sight of neighbours,they can get a bit touchy about such things...
    Jusepy likes this.

The missus used canvas cloth which worked out great. I think the cloth cost around $30+/ sqm (better to use jeans/denim material if cost is an important criteria). Bag designs were copied from existing commercial designs with approximate dimensions. Filler for my shooting bags was budget 1kg rice ($1.99/kg) still in the original packaging, sand is free/cheaper wherever you are.

Lastly I think the canvas cloth is water resistant but I dont shoot in the rain often. If I shot mostly in the rain, I would probably spray a silicon sealant if it bothered me or just shoot from a bipod.
    SixtyTen likes this.

Kitty litter is also a good alternative to sand.
    nowool likes this.

I use plastic bead filler that is used for making 'weighted blankets' for vet use. Its nicely weighted (not has heavy as sand), hydrophobic, large enough size that it wont leak out, and is nicely positionable and doesn't cost the earth. If you have ever been frustrated with sand in your bags, try this stuff.

https://www.sensorycorner.co.nz/coll...ic-pellets-3kg

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    makes cleaning them easy too bud.... you can bore sight that out any window where you can see 50-100 yards...DONT DO THIS in plain sight of neighbours,they can get a bit touchy about such things...
    I plan to at some stage today , try my new toy out and see if it works. No worries for neighbours , unless you call cows and sheep neighbours. But The front of the house is close to the road so i wont be doing it in that direction as the Karens might get upset if they drive past and see a 'dangerous' gun about..
    Patience Is A Virtue

Quote Originally Posted by Trigger View Post
    The missus used canvas cloth which worked out great. I think the cloth cost around $30+/ sqm (better to use jeans/denim material if cost is an important criteria). Bag designs were copied from existing commercial designs with approximate dimensions. Filler for my shooting bags was budget 1kg rice ($1.99/kg) still in the original packaging, sand is free/cheaper wherever you are.

Lastly I think the canvas cloth is water resistant but I dont shoot in the rain often. If I shot mostly in the rain, I would probably spray a silicon sealant if it bothered me or just shoot from a bipod.
    I used rice to fill some expensive shooting bags, worked well until the rats discovered them and chewed through the bags to get the rice!

Quote Originally Posted by Mintie View Post
    I used rice to fill some expensive shooting bags, worked well until the rats discovered them and chewed through the bags to get the rice!
    +1

They haven't touched the plastic beads I now use - I guess the nutritional value is too low I HATE RATS!
    Mintie likes this.

When I was guiding in Canada, based 90km from any road, the sighting in range had several sandbags for clients to use. Made out of old car inner tubes, cut to length, filled with local sand and zip tied off at the ends. Different sized tubes for different heights. Worked a treat, waterproof, sandproof, and could be left out on the range all year round.