Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Engineering design book suggestions

Engineering design book suggestions

Hi guys,

I'm not even sure how to correctly word this or if it even exists. I make allot of stuff from steel and Ali in the shed but have no formal training, I'm wondering if there is a book someone could suggest that has the basics of how to design something to be strong but not over engineered. I feel like there should be some kind of basic rules for example how thick to make stuff or how far from the edge of certain materials to drill holes etc, I ushally just build it over the top but it would be nice to have some sort of guidance.

Basic I guess is the key word here lol, not much point if it's a full on engineering book I'm not looking to build any thing structural, life threatning or that would need hrs of calcs.

I’ve got an engineering Handbook you can have.? It will send you to sleep reading it, good for smashing spiders, but you just might learn a lot?
    Pm me your address!
    Micky Duck and berg243 like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Could check out university / polytech book lists.... and the bookshops

I have the big black book. (https://www.trademe.co.nz/books/nonf...2272435427.htm) Very rarely consult it. I believe in there there is rather comprehensive finite element analysis tables and the such.
    And the little black book, (https://www.trademe.co.nz/books/teac...2274185722.htm) which is referred to almost daily.

There are many "rules of thumb" that you pick up along the way but I haven't seen them in one place. Not sure how far up north you are or what you're planning to build (is it guns?) but the back corner of the piggery bookshop in Whangarei has some good engineering books come through from time to time.
    I dare say you could probably google whatever you want to make and find a forum dedicated to it.

The old saying "If it breaks- build it stronger, if it doesn't - use it harder"
    kiwijames and Micky Duck like this.

As far as guidance, look to things that are already made commercially, they're usually over-engineered enough to be idiot-proof, but light enough to use minimum materials.
    Micky Duck likes this.

As a very general rule if trying to build light but stiff/strong make triangles(think lattice work cranes)
    And if building from thin materials use doubler plates of a thicker material at attachment points to spread the load over more area.

No book just years of experience.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I picked up a book of plans etc for building a single action rifle years ago as I believe it was getting hard to get, that's a one day plan maybe in 30 yrs when I retire. I have no where near enough skills yet to build any thing like that.

I like books as I find googling does provide answers but it can take allot of time and I end up becoming under productive and distracted, books I can have out in the shed for a quick check.

I will have a look in the pigery hav'nt been in there in years.

Thanks

Look rusi, you see the girl in a Bikini, you know is under engineered, won`t stand the strain when it hits the water''''' you hope. NOW I've never seen engineering book, but if you want to make a garden chipper or a Sharps rifle go for it, just keep saying " there's no such thing as "Can't do it"
    rusl and Martin358 like this.

Try NZS3404 Structural Steel Standard.

LRP
    I would suggest begin your study with the "PROPERTIES OF MATERIALS".
    Online searches under that heading will provide you with tons of information.
    Understanding the materials will give you a good grounding, as you need that before you can choose the right material for the item you wish to design.
    Being able to properly design something is another subject really.
    This topic is hugely interesting and can give you a lifelong hobby and source of learning.
    If you are using steel and ally in your shed you are already learning. Perhaps you are already learning about the different grades of ally, which are numerous, with different types and tempers having different uses. I use a lot of 7075 Ally. Awesome stuff. Ya cant weld it or bend it but ya can anodise it. It machines well and is super strong and hard. And light, which is the "density' value. The hardness part means it holds a thread well. The TOP level rifle scope rings and bases are 7075 ally. The Stolle Panda rifle receiver is 7075 ally, with some steel inserts at critical places. Ally is in the "Non Ferrous Metals" category. BTW the boatbuilding ally is 5083 grade. It's strong, bends well and welds well, but is a mongrel to machine as it's "gummy" and sticks to the cutting tools. So it has very different properties to say 7075 ally.
    If you were say designing a rifle stock you need to understand the "E" value of materials which is "the modulus of elasticity" value, or put simply the stiffness value, or the materials resistance to bending.
    The "composites" are another more modern but huge family of materials.
    Huge subject even if you just stick with steel and ally !!!!! My qual is NZCE Mechanical, but ya learn LOTS just by playing and building with the different materials. And being keen.
    I say start with the "Properties of Materials".
    Last edited by LRP; 16-08-2019 at 03:46 AM.
    rusl and Danny like this.

Some cool advice given. Read and tinker and learn really. I’ve got some decent quals but the best experience is from off the old school toolmaker boys and pissing around myself.
    Made this and another model this morning.
    Name:  IMG_1094.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  255.9 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Some cool advice given. Read and tinker and learn really. I’ve got some decent quals but the best experience is from off the old school toolmaker boys and pissing around myself.
    Made this and another model this morning.
    Attachment 117922

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Its full of holes?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Read these two by J. E Gordon, they will serve you well. Both a good thought provoking read, best engineering design books I ever bought.

The New Science of Strong Materials: Or Why You Don't Fall through the Floor

Structures: Or Why Things Don't Fall Down

Reviews on that armazoon place.

A good free one is the Blacks fastener handbook, you should be able to find a PDF on line

Another handy one is Shigley Mecahnical Design, might be a little bit past what you are after though, has little bits of lots of stuff