Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Fast twist 6mm

Fast twist 6mm

Hi guys, after some advise from those shooting or looking to shoot heavy for caliber 6mm pills.

Let me know what your running or looking to use.
    Eg, chambering, barrel maker, twist rate, projectile.

Andwhere you got the barrel spun up or sourced from

For my 6mm creedmoor, wanting to run upto the 115vld but jf i can only get 8" twist then im kinda happy to stick to 108eldm 105hybrid etc

Cheers

I bought some 6mm crudmore dies but the donor rifle I lined up shot 1/3 moa groups so that was as far as I got. I'm very interested too to see what people are thinking about, particularly in the overall rifle weight versus purpose . . . the folk I know who shoot one went carbon barrels but light varmint weight overall (probly 8 or 9 lbs scoped I'd say) and that allowed them to see trace and splash for plate shooting.
    keengunNic likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    i dont have one but 6xc which you can norma brass could be a option just barrel with twist fast enough for 115s might be the issue in nz
    but im no expert 🤔

6.5 is covered really. 7mm08 does the bush and out to 350. 7mm mag does everything i ask of it. Wanting a fun gun, already got the dies, brass is in the way. High BC 6mm going over 3k is good fun, definitely turns some heads at 1000 yards.

Mates got a 6.5x284 and its not impressed me enough to chamber one. The creeds not really going to be the first choice out ofthe safe for deer but for the fallow i can get to it will be fun.

If i didnt have the dies already the 6x47L would be my choice. The 6 creed is just pretty efficient and does the job. Cant ask much more than that
    mimms2 likes this.

The 115vlds recomend a 8twist minimum but ive heard mixed results for them. The 8 twist seems to shoot the 115DTACS well but has trouble with the bergers

243ai. 8 twist, 23" trueflight premium target . N560 pushing 105 gr vld hunting at 3180fps. Its a terrific combination for a hunting cartridge.
    keengunNic, mimms2 and Klhari like this.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    243ai. 8 twist, 23" trueflight premium target . N560 pushing 105 gr vld hunting at 3180fps. Its a terrific combination for a hunting cartridge.
    Thanks mate that's the sort of ino im after. Are you pleased with the truflite barrel?

The latest thing is the 6mm SLR, a slight change to the .243 neck and shoulder. Mainly to reduce throat erosion and brass flow with hefty loads.
    keengunNic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Ackley! But of course!
    Mimms2 do you not like something different? Is it 308 or nothing?
    Last edited by keengunNic; 11-04-2020 at 03:41 PM.

I like all the new and excitings, but sometimes getting components her in nz is a pain, murica has loads but little ol nz is a bit behind. Not even many with a 6 creedmoor reamer.

The whole reason that validates the "Crudmores" (of which I've run a couple and currently have a 6.5x47, its identical brother) is their ability to run long projectiles in true medium length actions (not one size fits all like Tikka's). Ofcourse the others like 243 and its "upgrades" will do it but its a bit like running a V8 with one plug lead pulled off, half the advantage is lost when you seat the projectiles way into the case to make mag length (even Mimms might understand that - I've 'xplained it clearly enough).

Greg Hudson at Custom guns has a 6mm Reamer, has built his own rifle with it and shot it a lot - I recall his teenage daughter beat most of the blokes at the Vortex challenge before last using one.

So - if your action is a true medium, its an ideal candidate for a very light recoiling rifle with great accuracy potential.
    Puffin and mimms2 like this.

Hey @keengunNic

I have a Howa 6mm Creedmoor with the 7.5” twist. I’ve only shot the 108gr ELD-M. It’s a bug hole shooter and I can’t really see any need to change bullet at this stage.

The challenge is COAL - I can seat the ELD-M at 2.850” without worrying about concentricity, that’s 0.015” off the lands and it comfortably fits the AI style steel mag. If the bullets were much longer I’d be worried about eating into a bit too much case capacity. I haven’t got the list of bullet lengths handy but I remember looking at them all and decided that unless I had a longer throat I’d be best off sticking with what I’ve got.

I’m not particularly interested in squeezing every last drop of velocity out of it, at 2950fps it’s a stone cold goat killer as it is, been using it at 400m+ out to about 600m and it flies very well and punches a nice fat hole and drops them on the spot.

Sounds like you want to go semi-custom or full custom which is cool, so it’s all about the throat... freebore and leade and making sure you can seat the really long bullets comfortably not too far in, or out, of the case. And then of course the magazine.
    Puffin likes this.
    Just...say...the...word

I have 6 Dasher, 6 x 47 Lapua & 6 Creedmoor all 24" 1-7.5 Rem Varmint 5R Bartlein switch barrels in a Defiance action

It will be very interesting to see the difference between them with the 110 Atip, 110 SMK & 115 VLD hunting projectiles

Well I like my Savage 22.250 with 1/12 twist, new to shooting but so far is performing extremely well at least it was last time I used it just before the lockdown.
    keengunNic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mimms2 View Post
    Its built on a BSA Majestic medium length action, the stock was beyond repair so Kevin Gaskill whipped up a new one for me, The PT truflite has been as accurate as any custom barrel Iv owned though it took a fair bit of load development to get it sorted with the bergers but its held exceptionaly well through 900ish rounds. The barrel is still very good though Ill set it back a thread or 2 if I can in the next while. When its toast I will replace it with exactly the same, no question.

Name:  DSCN0987.JPG
Views: 373
Size:  3.18 MB
    Name:  DSCN0988.JPG
Views: 474
Size:  2.79 MB
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin