Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 7 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By Madmax
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By Seventenths

Thread: Getting CDS Turrets for Leupold Scopes

Getting CDS Turrets for Leupold Scopes

A few years back I was introduced to CDS turrets on Leupold scopes which I've been a fan of ever since as being a bush hobbit my scopes were zeroed for 100 mtrs and with a few clicks I could reliably take shots at greater distances rather than rely on the known drop.

I've never had an issue of the turrets being accidentally rotated while carrying the rifle as they are a firm dial to click.

Over the years I've sent a few scopes to the Leupold custom shop whether they've been mine or mates for fitting where the service has been prompt generally 6-8 weeks with fastest being a 4 week turn around door to door.

I was later told NOIA in Australia who are authorized Leupold agents can make the retrofit aswell so 2-3 years back I sent a scope to them thinking it might be faster but it ended up being more expensive than Leupold in the states and a hassle as I had to fill in an export permit to get it out of Australia.

My latest dilemma was I have an old VXII 2-7 scope friction dial scope I bought when I was 17 and holds sentimental value as it's seen a few deer and been on some cool trips and this scope proudly sits on a Kimber 7mm-08 for my youngest and like my other scopes I've wanted the CDS turret but hummed and harred about it.

Leupold said they could do it but the custom shop isn't available as it's being retrofitted so I was left with NOIA in Australia.

Thinking of the price and hassle it was last time I sent it off and 8 weeks later the scope showed up ready to roll with NIOA being great to deal with and no hassle of an export permit.

Being well over 25 years old it received an inspection, a clean, they installed the CDS turret which is click adjustable.

I mounted it back on the Kimber, zeroed it in and then tested it out to 300 mtrs where it shoots brilliantly.

Anyway... I recently bought another Leupold scope for another rifle and that too has been sent to NOIA for a CDS turret

Hey, What was the cost if you dont mind me asking.MM
    nickbop likes this.

I think it was AUS$145 which included return postage.

I don't have the invoice to double check but I'll update this thread once the second scope is returned hopefully within next 7 weeks!
    Joe_90 likes this.

Good one. I had them fit zl 1's to replace the p 5's on my vxr patrol and also a zero stop cds to a vx3. Service thru NZ agent and noia was good. I have a neat old vari-x 11c 3-9*40 which I have been considering for a mod such as you have had done.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Seventenths,
    Does the new turret have a zero stop functionality?

Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    Seventenths,
    Does the new turret have a zero stop functionality?
    No it doesn’t.

I’ve never needed to worry about zero stops as the turret is pretty firm to turn, no real risk of bumping it while carrying the rifle as that’s what I’ve found with my other CDS turret scopes over the past few years

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post
    I think it was AUS$145 which included return postage.

I don't have the invoice to double check but I'll update this thread once the second scope is returned hopefully within next 7 weeks!
    Did you go direct to NIOA for your latest scope Seventenths? The NZ Leopold agent (NZ Asia) quoted $234AUD + $30NZD postage (recently) to upgrade my VX1 which is almost double the price you have indicated above and probably close if not more than the current value of the scope.... Lead time estimate was equal to what you have indicated . Still probably a great option for upgrading a leupy scope that has a bit of sentimental value though imo.

I contacted NIOA directly over the phone bearing in mind the time difference and posted directly to them.

I looked up my credit card and the cost was NZ$160.73 which included the modification and postage back to me.

Nice to see the NZ distributor whack on their fee but you have to expect they will charge as their a business facilitating this on your behalf which is why I prefer to deal directly and save money
    Cappa likes this.

Why these are so hard to get in nz amazes me,there is definitely a market for them,I’m considering getting one for my 1-4 vx2

An update to this as I just got my second scope back.

Like the first one as mentioned above I sent the scope directly to NOIA in Australia.

They contacted me saying they couldn’t send the scope directly back because if NZ law changes but I told them my first scope was to which they said there was an error on their part and the only way they would send it to NZ was via the NZ Leupold Agent!

On top of that they said I was incorrectly charged for the first scope saying I was billed for a BDC reticle.

They said they would wear that fault!

I was tempted to get them to send it to my sister in Australia who could then ship it over!

In the end I got NIOA to install the CDS elevation turret like the first one and then ship it back to me via NZ Asia (Leupold Agent).

Total cost was NZ$244.95

Am I happy... fuck no so that will be the last time I ship anything to NIOA!

they gave ya the first one for half price top blokes
    cant blame them for air head law changes
    still was probably quicker as i hear the NZ agent stock piles them till they have a handfull before sending

@Seventenths

Do you have any before/after pics to show how the addition of CDS was done?

Apart from machining a new dial (plenty of people with spare CDS dials kicking about it seems, hint hint ) how hard could the modification be?

Might involve messing with the internals but surely there is some standard procedure for retrofitting... only problem is how would it affect the warranty...

Sorry, no pics of before but I know some of the intervals were changed as the scope was none click and now it’s click adjustable.

Another option is like you say... look at after market caps/dials but I want something done once and done right as I depend upon it.

Hopefully the Leupold custom shop has started up as they were under renovation... I would say contact them for a price.
    caberslash likes this.