Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree20Likes
  • 9 Post By GWH
  • 3 Post By GWH
  • 4 Post By northdude
  • 2 Post By andyanimal31
  • 2 Post By Antwalsh

Thread: Hardy rifle barrels

Hardy rifle barrels

Hi guys, just after some feedback from people who have/ have used their barrels, and been fitted by Hardy's. Im looking to do a 6mm Creedmoor through them and just wanting to get some real world experience with their barrels, more specifically the stainless ones. No need for a carbon barrel.

Cheers guys

I have one in 300saum and am very pleased with it. Dosnt copper foul and is very accurate.

Not fitted by Hardy though. They don't have a great rep for customer service and Ive been on the sharp end of it over a suppressor thread issue. Maybe they have got better, it was a few years ago.

I would use another one of their barrels though.

I have a heavy Palma 28” stainless hardy barrel on my 6 CM.

Shoots better than me.

Av group size for 5 shots at 100m 8mm.

Cleans easy, good barrel.
    Warm Barrels!

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Have one on my 6.5 Grendel, easy to clean and very accurate with what I've fed it. Not fitted by them though.

As above I have heard most barrels are good but heaven forbid the barrel has an issue as their customer service has been poor in the past. I also owned an exploding Hardy Can. But I was the 2nd owner so didn't feel right asking for a replacement because it could have been the first owners neglect.

GWH
    Personally I get a bartlein from one of the two vendors that advertise here and get it machined and fitted by another Smith that has a better rep.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    Personally I get a bartlein from one of the two vendors that advertise here and get it machined and fitted by another Smith that has a better rep.
    I certainly can't complain about my recent Bartlein barrel. No better or worse than the Hardy I have but I felt like I was more in control of what I wanted (and if things didn't work out) by using another gunsmith. This might be unfounded though because I have no recent experience with Hardy directly.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    I certainly can't complain about my recent Bartlein barrel. No better or worse than the Hardy I have but I felt like I was more in control of what I wanted (and if things didn't work out) by using another gunsmith. This might be unfounded though because I have no recent experience with Hardy directly.
    I've just met far too many people either at the range or up the hill that were extremely disappointed with their Hardy rifle/barrel and whole after sales experience.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    kiwijames, Fisherman and chainsaw like this.

northdude
    I did some research heard the same things as mentioned above I ended up using true flight had no problems with work they supplied barrel chambered and fitted it modified stock so everything would fit very nice job and good customer service I'll be using them again
    Tahr, grunzter, chainsaw and 1 others like this.

Pretty general consensus then i see. I think i can cross them off for my plan b. Cheers fellas!

northdude
    cost me a little bit over 1200 and i already had the donor rifle palma barrel crown chamber bead blast thread for suppressor headspace recut barrel channel and fit also asked him to accurise it as well contacted me and said it didnt need it which was good as some would probably charge you for it even if it didnt need doing and say they did not bad turn around they are busy tho some will say you can buy a brand new rifle for that but this is what i want and how i want it and you rarely can get that off the shelf

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I've just met far too many people either at the range or up the hill that were extremely disappointed with their Hardy rifle/barrel and whole after sales experience.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Hey GWH, there has been a change over the last couple of years with Ian Hughes the front man that you deal with.
    I have heard nothing but good things since then with a couple of issues been dealt with with great results.
    I have one of their carbon wrap barrels on my trg 300 nm and very impressed with the performance and service I have had from them.
    Give them ago as a nz company.
    Ask for Ian and you wont be disappointed.
    He has been shooting the hardy hybrid at comps and doing very well, so walks the talk!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    GWH and chainsaw like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    I did some research heard the same things as mentioned above I ended up using true flight had no problems with work they supplied barrel chambered and fitted it modified stock so everything would fit very nice job and good customer service I'll be using them again
    just got a trueflight too, the work is top knotch
    and anthony seemingly didnt mind me pestering him the whole time and sending progress pictures

would defo go with them again, and gunworks did one that was amazing too

northdude
    Yeah he had no problems if I rang him about anything but I tried to keep it to an absolute minimum as I know what a pita it is having the owner of something we are working on calling nearly every couple of hours we try to avoid that type now but if it's a first build for you and new someone you haven't used before you do get a bit anxious

Hope you’ve been dealing to those pigs bill! No dramas in contacting us when ever you feel the need as we want to make the rifle exactly how you want it
    Tahr and Bill999 like this.