Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By 223nut
  • 3 Post By Cigar
  • 1 Post By dvk-kp
  • 6 Post By john worthington
  • 1 Post By Von Gruff Knives
  • 3 Post By Ftx325
  • 2 Post By 223nut
  • 1 Post By 223nut

Thread: Knife / axe display

Knife / axe display

So am putting a new man cave up.... Am dedicating one wall to display sharp pretty things. Idea at the moment is sections of 1/2" dowel cut to about an inch, drilled down the centre and screwed to the wall in pairs to hang axe head off.

Anyone got some other good ideas and / or photos?

Also got to find room for the workbench and reloading set up (hopefully)
    Pengy likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    Sharp things hanging a wall makes me nervous without some sort of anti-gravity/anti-earthquake/anti-bump attachment system - maybe a rubberband between the pairs of dowel?
    Woody, norsk and dannyb like this.

Cole
    I hang tools etc in my shed on a piece of 20mm MDF… screw it to the wall then drill 3/8 holes in it where ever needed and then tap in a 10mm piece of round bar or dowel and it’s mint. Save drilling thru all your pieces of dowel.
    223nut likes this.

Put a shadow board wall up and hang your angle grinder by the gun safe

I can just see you hunting with a spear in SI
    Apparently it's a thing in Africa ... with a PH right behind you with a proper rifle

Gone but not forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by akaroa1 View Post
    I can just see you hunting with a spear in SI
    Apparently it's a thing in Africa ... with a PH right behind you with a proper rifle
    The guy who worked on our farm had a relative who used to pighunt with a spear in the Hunuas near Auckland.

@Cigar have a bag of the largest rubber (used to buying rubbers in large) bands that warehouse stationary had... Not going to look very classy but practical.

Like the idea of a chunk of timber with holes for dowel, though I hate using the hole saw and getting the biscuits out.

What about using a flat spade bit or an auger bit? No hole saw biscuits then.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend.

try magnetic racks
    Name:  racks.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  1.76 MB
    mikee, Scouser, viper and 3 others like this.

A safe way would be to drill 1/4 inch holes where needed at about a 10-15 degree down angle and make up some rod brackets and epoxy them in. This way you secure your axes etc against falling but for knives and plastic coated tie wire twitched round the knife handle and bracket will make for security for the smaller items. This is a quick and dirty sketch
    Micky Duck likes this.

Just to be different I made a hat rack using 7mm08 cases drilled into the wood at an angle and glued in for the hooks . Works great and looks cool with the brass cases rather than an old nail or dowel .
    Not saying you could necessarily make it work for your project but maybe worth investigating if you have any fired cases that might be long enough .
    Nice polished up and might add a little bit of visual appeal if you can make it work ?
    Pengy, Micky Duck and ROKTOY like this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Idea of magnetic isn't silly.... Wouldn't work for everything but at least some.

Only brass I have spare would be 308, could fit the neck off and find some branchs / dowel small enough. Holes drilled on an angle would work to save the rubber bands. Have spade bits somewhere (this is why I need a new shed as the old 80series is getting to the point where tools fall out when I open a door
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

The brass would be a lot softer than the Stella in knives and axes so shouldn't damage anything.... Got to be better than galv bugle screws
    Micky Duck likes this.

I use 100mm bugle head tek screws and put a bit of clear plastic tube over it. You can buff the galv off the head to make it look a bit shiny on the end. So far I only hang fishing rods on them

When I visited a guy that does demolition work he had a bucket of large copper nails from an old boat he was demo'ing, straightened out and a lick from the wire brush would make them useful.

Those 100mm bugle joist hex heads are about all I use these days, nails screws Holt's they do it all.

You every brought copper nails.... You would want to be getting them from a scrap source

Tempted to keep it real simple and just put up some 8"*1" shelves all over the place