Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By m101a1
  • 1 Post By m101a1

Thread: Magazine rebuild for 303 Lee enfield action

Magazine rebuild for 303 Lee enfield action

I am finally in the home-stretch with my new magazine build for my Lee Enfield No 4 Mark 1 that was converted to 308

I used the exact same shape of the original 303 magazine and cut and shaped my new one for double-stack single feed (5 round capacity)

As you will see on the pics so far, I need to do a lot of "cosmetic" finishing here and there, but as of right now, I have a magazine that cost me only time and effort to get to this stage.

I used 0.8mm stainless steel for the case, plastic shelving footpad for the feeder, and steel strapping for my spring.

I will be doing another magazine with a 1,2mm stainless steel and more refinement based on this design, and hope to show you that project soon.

I attached some pics and await any advice on what I can do to improve.

Kind Regards

Leonardo
    Attached Images Attached Images     

I did a version made out of a steel gen 1 ar10 mag by narrowing the front and tapering the follower to suit worked good for 4 rnds and that was ok the main thing was the follower angle was correct and just had to tune the lips a bit .
    Leonardo likes this.

Hi there,

Please upload some pics for me to look at, as here in South Africa it is illegal to purchase, exchange or import certain firearm magazines.

I'd like to see your narrowing and tapering if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    Hi there,

Please upload some pics for me to look at, as here in South Africa it is illegal to purchase, exchange or import certain firearm magazines.

I'd like to see your narrowing and tapering if possible.
    hi no pics of mag but just cut a strip out of front of mag with a 1mm cut off disc and ground to suit then squeezed together and mig welded /ground flat then cut follower to suit mag . lots of trial and error but got close in the end . used ar10 early mag as made of steel and no good in late model ar10 . main problem was rounds would extract but not eject due to standard no4 type bolt so we used win 307 brass with rim loaded to 303 max loads with hornady 160 ftx projs designed for 30/30 speeds . when shot at 2500 fps approx they dropped all deer on the spot thats about all I can tell you good luck and keep going . cheers
    Leonardo likes this.

Hi,
    That sounds interesting.
    I used to shoot the old tried and tested FN FAL (incl the G3) 7.62 military spec rifles and saw that some people are selling the 20 and 30 shot magazines. Maybe I'll purchase one or 2 of both and see if I can maybe do a project (similar to what you did) on them to fit my Lee Enfield action.

Thanks a lot, much appreciated.

I made one for a 410 enfield conversion a while ago, should be a thread in here somewhere