Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By Got-ya

Thread: Modifying Norinco JW21 tube mag

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.

Modifying Norinco JW21 tube mag

So, my youngest has the above 22 lever action.
    Holds 12 rounds of 22lr
    Whats involved with decreasing the mag capacity ?
    Cheers
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

northdude
    the easiest way is to lengthen the follower in removable tube are you going to do it yourself either braze say 50mm of rod onto the end of the follower make sure its straight and round the edges other way if your that way inclined is turn one up on a lathe

Quote Originally Posted by Frogfeatures View Post
    So, my youngest has the above 22 lever action.
    Holds 12 rounds of 22lr
    Whats involved with decreasing the mag capacity ?
    Cheers
    My understanding is that if you take it to one of the governments “approved” gunsmiths they will do it and it’s paid for buy the buy back fund. I was speaking to our local gunsmith and he said he’s done over 60 of the tube mag mods all invoiced to jacinda

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northdude
    Or this just depends if internals are plastic as well

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    You do NOT have to go to an approved gunsmith at all. You can do it yourself , get your mate to do it , take it to your local "unapproved " gunsmith to do it .

Its a fairly simple task if you have the gear - pull the mag tube out , un-pin the end cap , pull the spring out , make a 5mm rod of the length of the number of rounds you need to lose , silver solder that to the internal end of the nose cap , slap it all back together.The spring needs to ride happily over the internal rod.

The Law states plainly " a magazine capacity of not more than 10 rounds." Thats it - no how or what method or prove it to me .

Alternatively you can roll a ring crimp into the inner mag tube at the point of ten rounds down the hole. Use a modified tubing cutter with the edge ground off the cutter. Dont go too deep - just enough to prevent the follower passing inside the tube , too deep and you will impede the spring travel inside. This you can do without pulling the mag tube apart - but it looks ugly to me .
    Yes you don’t have to take it to an approved gunsmith but what I’m saying is if you do, they’ll do it at no cost. If you go to an unapproved Smith then you’ll pay for his service

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

northdude
    And your volinteering your rifle to be one of the first to go on the new register

Quote Originally Posted by muzza View Post
    Thats the downside of using the approved gunsmith - all the details about you and your rifle have to go to the Police. But not if you do it yourself.
    Yup I wish I still had access to machinery otherwise I would've done the job myself. Other stuff going on, not just the magazine. That I could've done all by itself.
    Its a moot point though if registration comes in. They will all be on the books
    Gusto likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    Yup I wish I still had access to machinery otherwise I would've done the job myself. Other stuff going on, not just the magazine. That I could've done all by itself.
    Its a moot point though if registration comes in. They will all be on the books
    Sure they will just like every naughty gun will be handed in.
    outlander likes this.

what if you just drilled a hole and riveted it so it couldn't hold more than ten? may be a bit ugly but you could cold blue it.

northdude
    Probably interfere with the spring