Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Project: Stubbs

Project: Stubbs

Hi Guys,

As some of you might have seen in the sales section I have been on the hunt for a nice little bolt action .22lr for as cheap as possible for me to mess around with...

I have had a bolt action before but it was a nice CZ which had me on the back foot every time I wanted to mess with it as it was already good and it cost me more $ than I was prepared to loose by stuffing it up! I also had a lovely old BSA Ralock Semi auto that I had cut down nice and short with a big silencer and nice scope etc but when it was done a few little things bugged me, you couldn't see if it was empty unless you stripped it right down, the muzzle report was extremely quiet but as it fired from an open bolt the sound of the hammer slapping home was quite loud next to your ear and while I enjoy semi autos at the range or plinking from a static location I just didn't really like the idea of hunting with a semi auto.

Enter this little fella.... A Beretta Sport 22lr that a friend of mine had decided to sell at just the right time. These little Beretta's can be used in either bolt action by locking the bolt handle down or in semi auto by leaving it up, they were used by the Italian military as a training weapon and came in 3 different models, Sport, Olympia and Super Sport. From what I can tell the only differences are the stock and the style of sites on them. Best of both worlds for me really as I can walk around safely with it as a bolt action hunting or I can have fun plinking at the range as semi.

Name:  20180409_150718.jpg
Views: 1326
Size:  608.7 KB

This example is fairly well worn externally with hardly any bluing left, the stock has a few old repaired cracks and seems to have been shortened and then lengthened again at some point. The overall condition and the fact I picked it up for a pretty good price means I dont feel too bad about butchering it up a bit and turning it into something modern I will actually use rather than a safe queen (collectors might want to look away at this point as things are going to get ugly).

I took it out to the range this morning with the chrony to get some preliminary results on velocity as semi vs bolt with the factory barrel length, these are all 5 shot averages. Interesting results!

Factory barrel length CCI Std
    Semi auto - 1013 fps
    Bolt action - 1005 fps

Factory Barrel length Winchester Bushman HV
    Semi auto - 1255 fps
    Bolt action - 1221 fps

Both HV and Subs performed better in semi auto vs bolt action?? This is an inertia semi so I assumed the semi auto action would have stolen some of the energy of each shot to reload?? Weird.

Whipped out the hacksaw on the range bench and hacked off 7" of barrel.

Name:  20180417_120824.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  691.5 KB

13.5" Barrel CCI Std
    Semi auto - 992 fps

Didn't check bolt action results here as I was only really worried about it cycling subs in semi with the short barrel, which it was doing fine and had only lost an average of 21 fps. Thought I better crack on and hack off another inch while I was being brave. Whipped out the hacksaw on the range bench again after checking first to make sure nobody was going to see me.

12.5" Barrel CCI Std
    Semi auto - 996 fps
    Bolt action - 995.6 fps

Perfect result and it was still cycling perfectly!!

Now to get it on my lathe to true up my cut and crown it properly.

My plans for this build
    • Large custom CF suppressor
    • Reshape the wood to have more of a target style pistol grip, an adjustable cheek piece and a wider forestock
    • Bedliner the stock
    • Mount a rail for scope mounting (cant decide on big or compact scope yet, guess we will have to wait to see how it groups first)
    • Cerakote the action and barrel

I did take some videos of it out at the range today, when I get a chance to mash them together I will post up a link.

Name:  20180417_130245.jpg
Views: 1231
Size:  291.4 KB

Interesting sounding rifle and action.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Hahaha yep definitely rougher than my usual style but it was just a moment of why not? I was already at the range, had the chrony setup and had a hacksaw handy in the truck. If I took it home and did it on the lathe I would have just needed to make another trip out there and had to setup the chrony to see if it would cycle and see what speed it was at. Doing it out there on the spot I was able to see that I could easily afford to take another inch off with it still cycling well.
    Tommy likes this.

The barrel has been re crowned and threaded professionally, and I now have a scope mount for it. The scope mount was tough as the rail is very far forward and it is a 14mm dovetail, I ended up getting a BKL 454 cantilever mount but it still sits a bit far forward and I have been struggling to find the right scope to fit with enough eye relief.

I tried a Hawke 3-9x40 that I had sitting in the draw, I spent ages trying to get the eye relief to work and got it somewhat ok so went off to the range to test, then realized that I hadn't done the screws up tight and none of my allen keys I had in my range bag were imperial!!! Grrr. I did it up as tight as I could with my fingers and a stick and put 5 CCI standard rounds onto paper, 50m and the group was about 3" which I guess isn't too bad for a starter. I have replaced the scope now with a large centrepoint on there at the moment which should help me get it to group and I will sort something a bit better suited later. I will also give the barrel a clean and take a range of different ammo with me to test next time.

Name:  20180717_144521.jpg
Views: 1046
Size:  524.8 KB

good project. Be interesting to see if you can get it to shoot better groups
    Mintie likes this.

I love it, shorten the rifle then add a scope that is longer than the barrelled action......Sounds like the sort of thing I would try...

If you decide on a smaller scope, you could almost try a pistol / long eye relief scope and mount it forward rather than rearward and have it like a scout rifle. Or go red dot with no eye relief issues. Otherwise you could look at shortening the stock, but watch you dont go under 30 inches and make it into a pistol....

Looks like you are having a good time.
    viper, Mintie and Micky Duck like this.

Yeh that scope is only on it for testing purposes, My CF suppressor build will come all the way back to the stock there anyway. Im tossing up between a small compact red dot style scope or something bigger with a decent mag, guess that will be decided by how well it groups! Not much point being able to zoom in if it groups 3" at 50m.

doesn't look like you grouped it before hand for shits and giggles?

No, unfortunately not. In hindsight it would have been good for bench marking.

Decided to make a start on the suppressor.... I'm very much an amateur when it comes to machining, I have recently picked up a lathe and drill press etc but I am still learning how to use them again, its been 16 years since metalwork in school! I have a rough drawn idea on what I want to achieve but it will no doubt change a little along the way, I am more of a make it up as I go kind of person.

The general idea is a single piece core which will vent back into a short over barrel section and a carbon fiber tube over the top of it all, The CF tube is 35mm OD and 31mm ID so has nice thick walls and I am using 6061 alloy bar stock.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oFLuPdHV6FGhQBDE9

Name:  20180704_185810.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  420.0 KB

Name:  20180704_195052.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  229.6 KB

Name:  20180720_113430.jpg
Views: 857
Size:  134.0 KB

Name:  20180720_121356.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  252.0 KB

Name:  20180720_123146.jpg
Views: 896
Size:  222.4 KB

Name:  20180720_125704.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  230.0 KB

Name:  20180720_173148.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  303.2 KB

That's as far as I got today, I will finish this piece off in the next few days and build the bush for the barrel end.
    rusl and Micky Duck like this.

As cool as it looks and I can really appreciate the effort, I wouldn't over think baffles on the 22. I've has a couple of plays lately myself making silencers and it didn't take many baffles with a chamber at the back and they were pretty quiet.
    The second one I tried a couple of k /egg cup baffles. Both were enclosed over barrel types with a small muffler type expansion chamber venting into the rear over barrel part. Then I had the baffles in the front. One was bigger diameter than the other but was also shorter. It had normal washer type baffles. the longer more classic shape had the k's.
    hard to pick between them. Even drilled the bejesus out of the k's and the baffles on the both of them to try to lighten them up as they were all steel.

Tried a few different scopes to get the eye relief right and ended settling on an old 3-10 x 40 Simmons that I got off a member here a year or so ago, It is not quite right but definitely shootable. Took it out to the range yesterday to shoot some groups and was quite impressed! At 50m the groups were 20mm ctc and while I didn't measure them at 100m the poi didn't shift left or right (Was worried the mounts might not be square) and I could hit fist sized bits of dirt with every shot. I only tried CCI Std, Geco Rifle and Winchester subs ammo, Whichester subs were all touching so grouped best but I didn't count them as they wont cycle in the action reliably. Bolt action is certainly more accurate, the groups about double at 50m in semi.

Did a quick video to show you guys how the action works for select fire.

Now that I am happy with the action and scope etc I will finish working on the suppressor and get onto reshaping and painting the stock.

Good shit. Good to see this sort of thing going on
    Mintie likes this.

Got the suppressor finished off today, its a little rough in places and still needs a lick of matt black paint on the ends buts its all fitted and works great! very very quiet and I haven't even added the gauze pads in yet! This one was done as a bit of an experiment, learnt a bit along the way and will make some small changes for the next one to simplify the build process and improve the overall finish. I have done quite a few baffled designs in PCP and c02 airguns before but this was my first mono core and I enjoyed the challenge.

I have cut a small amount off the front of the stock to make space for the suppressor but the next part of this project will be to add some extra wood and totally reshape the stock and then give it a paint, maybe with bedliner or something textured like it.

Name:  20180815_152055.jpg
Views: 732
Size:  448.4 KB

Name:  20180815_152442.jpg
Views: 708
Size:  379.9 KB

Name:  20180815_171916.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  684.5 KB

Name:  20180815_164948.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  1.30 MB
    muzr257, Spoon, Moa Hunter and 6 others like this.

Try the 42 grain win subs if you've only tried the 40s. The 40s won't cycle mine, but the 42s will. It's a shame they are a bit dearer
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Identify your target beyond all doubt