Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Pump Action STEN MKII

Pump Action STEN MKII

I've got an idea for a pump-action STEN MKII 9mm that uses Glock 19 10rd mags. as far as i can tell it meets all the gun laws and uses no banned parts. breaks down and stows like the original, no pistol grip, and is legal length when assembled. Anyone know of a gunsmith who might want to try making a sample? should be a cheap and easy project and it would be nice if it was NZ made. I'm sure there would be a market for it if the retail price was reasonable.

seems all the new cool guns coming in are either held up by the police, sold out and/or way to expensive. i don't know of any gun cheaper to make than a STEN. lockup is similar to 870 and the only machining is the 9mm barrel blank and the bolt to the same dimensions as the Glock slide. rest of it is off the "mitre 10" shelf tube steel, metal stock and a few stamped pieces. still needs the spring to keep the stock attached but that will assist the forward pump (like the GBC sonic pump AR with i think is now banned due to using AR lower).

yes, it is rough but its not like i'm going to get my IMI UZI carbine back from the cops so i'm looking for alternatives that won't break the bank and anger the wife. I approached David Tipple about having a semi-auto STEN made by his chinese mfr several years ago but he said no one wants a 9mm carbine. I think times have changed. If Gun City can charge $1500 for a .22 that sells in the rest of the world for $300 maybe its time for NZ to make our own guns. We can even call it the STENZ! lol

(yes i know the pic is of the original smg. just imagine the handguard as the pump action and a piticanny rail on top of the receiver)

Meanwhile i'm pateintly waiting for a ruger AR bolt action carbine, Troy PAR, and Kriss Defiance DMK22. not pre-ordering as i've lost money to g*****nz who f**ked us all.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I've got some 7" rifled 9mm press-in barreled inserts for 12ga shotguns that if a gunsmith wants to copy and sell i'd be willing to work with.

The original has no lockup of course and a fixed firing pin so your design needs a more complicated trigger and bolt assembly. Stenz have already been made the Auckland gas company's workshop made them during ww2 as they had quite a bit of experience working with pipe.
    The idea sounded interesting till i read the picatinny rail bit that would just be wrong wrong wrong.
    Also gun making needs one if those new doohickey in the interests of public safety super duper endorsements and expensive permits doesnt it?

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    May as well just resurrect the Mitchell. A true NZ designed SMG that already uses a barrel shroud for cocking it. You couldn’t keep hold of it though as it cycled, but if it was converted to a pump, no problem. Couple of originals on display in the Waiouru Museum...
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    The original has no lockup of course and a fixed firing pin so your design needs a more complicated trigger and bolt assembly. Stenz have already been made the Auckland gas company's workshop made them during ww2 as they had quite a bit of experience working with pipe.
    The idea sounded interesting till i read the picatinny rail bit that would just be wrong wrong wrong.
    Also gun making needs one if those new doohickey in the interests of public safety super duper endorsements and expensive permits doesnt it?
    You might not be able to use an AR bolt face either.

Tipping block simplest answer for a straight run action

Use enough gun

northdude
    i think someone on here was making a bolt 9mm looked pretty well done the last time i saw it

If the new Tentacle laws make it through we wont be able to legally make anything.

The commissioner will have its say on what can be made or not and how many per year. That is what it says in the new law.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    The commissioner will have its say on what can be made or not and how many per year. That is what it says in the new law.
    Crack up. The original perpetrators of Rogernomics and the "free markets" have come full circle

It appears the lunatics are running the asylum

seems the biggest hurdle to overcome is getting approval to manufacture it in NZ. seems the fix is getting it made in china and having it submitted to the police for approval. design improved......cocking not only loads but resets the trigger and firing pin is floating. bolt is locked by sear during fire. firing pin is attached to a carrier ala UZI model B carbine. Heck! there's another idea!.........even simpler......a pump action UZI carbine! all you need to do is attach the bolt to the handguard which locks upon cocking and eliminate the recoil spring!

Quote Originally Posted by nowool View Post
    seems the biggest hurdle to overcome is getting approval to manufacture it in NZ. seems the fix is getting it made in china and having it submitted to the police for approval. design improved......cocking not only loads but resets the trigger and firing pin is floating. bolt is locked by sear during fire. firing pin is attached to a carrier ala UZI model B carbine. Heck! there's another idea!.........even simpler......a pump action UZI carbine! all you need to do is attach the bolt to the handguard which locks upon cocking and eliminate the recoil spring!
    If you do get it made in China then be prepared for a norinco or Ali express special popping up quickly
    Cordite likes this.

amazing how much controversy this brings up in posts and private emails........its simple......just link the bolt to the handguard, put a spring on the disconector and your are away laughing like larry......most simple pump gun you can make and looks historically correct! make it from a kit or from scratch and you have a $150 9mm carbine.