Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Larskramer
  • 1 Post By SPEARONZ

Thread: Refurbishing carbon stock

Refurbishing carbon stock

Hey all, just wanted to know who's refurbished their carbon stock to look good ? I see there's plenty of online thing, but asking people their personal experiences, what they would of done better etc.

I have just 1000grit sanded my whole stock to get rid of all scratches, and I would love to just re-clearcoat it, but the hideous white filler marks don't tickle my fancy hahaha

What would you do with this? I was thinking of a manners style paint job with the rustoleum camo paints, but not too sure.Name:  20220330_201649.jpg
Views: 322
Size:  1.79 MBName:  20220330_201652.jpg
Views: 457
Size:  2.19 MBName:  20220330_201655.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  2.02 MBName:  20220330_201658.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  1.94 MB

Urban camo
    #DANNYCENT

Not much you can do about the filler showing other than some kind of paint job, I think it looks kind of neat and “made for business” as long as there’s still epoxy covering the filler and it’s not just raw filler
    I had this Stug stock that had a pretty poor finish so I took it back with 1000 grit then shit tonnes of elbow grease with 2000 grit and then onto a buffing wheel and it came out looking pretty good, there’s no clear coat or anything in this photo it just eventually got nice and smooth
    Name:  16F78015-0234-4CEB-82A7-8885E3C2905D.jpeg
Views: 521
Size:  2.92 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Google Hydro Dipping. I think you can buy the gear to diy.
    Cerakote?

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Not much you can do about the filler showing other than some kind of paint job, I think it looks kind of neat and “made for business” as long as there’s still epoxy covering the filler and it’s not just raw filler
    I had this Stug stock that had a pretty poor finish so I took it back with 1000 grit then shit tonnes of elbow grease with 2000 grit and then onto a buffing wheel and it came out looking pretty good, there’s no clear coat or anything in this photo it just eventually got nice and smooth
    Attachment 193661

That came out looking good. Have just 100 gritted it, then will 1500 and 2000 tomorrow. If I Clear it as it is, I'll duraclear it so it lasts. Urs a semi matte clear, so should look pretty good. I wanted to get hold of some rustoleum camoflague colors but no one stocks them

Quote Originally Posted by Larskramer View Post
    That came out looking good. Have just 100 gritted it, then will 1500 and 2000 tomorrow. If I Clear it as it is, I'll duraclear it so it lasts. Urs a semi matte clear, so should look pretty good. I wanted to get hold of some rustoleum camoflague colors but no one stocks them
    Total body supplies in petone stock the rustoleum camo bout 20 bucks a can check my add for the marlin jungle cowboy saigon edition to what it looks like deff not glossy

I think Bunnings advertise rustoleum as I tried to get some a while back but local branch don't stock on the shelves and I had to buy it by the box lot to order it in.... 12 cans of each colour, yeah nah....
    born to hunt - forced to work

Try Krylon camouflage paint, available from Blackwoods good adhesive properties.

@Larskramer I am currently in the same phase as you refinishing a carbon stock. I have wet sanded with 600 grit. I have done quite a bit of research into what to clear coat it with however it is very hard to find products and I wish I had researched this more prior to starting as I would have just left it. However, you want your clear coat to be UV resistant. Although the stock is not going to be spending all day every day in the sun the carbon will yellow and break down with UV. I have also researched a lot to spray can products which are fine but likely to come off. You need a two part epoxy and Gardner mix if you want to clear coat to last, be hard and producer the carbon from knocks or scratches or prevent the clear coat chipping. West systems 105 mixed with their 207 clear UV resitant Hardner would be the way to go however both will cost you over $100 at burnsco. You can get some 2k clear coat rattle cans that are 2 part in the can where you mix them but these are hard to come buy.

Despite all of this I have resolved to just using rust oleum matte clear coat in a can which is uv resistant and just will re do when I need to in time. Much cheaper option.

Quote Originally Posted by EFriz View Post
    @Larskramer I am currently in the same phase as you refinishing a carbon stock. I have wet sanded with 600 grit. I have done quite a bit of research into what to clear coat it with however it is very hard to find products and I wish I had researched this more prior to starting as I would have just left it. However, you want your clear coat to be UV resistant. Although the stock is not going to be spending all day every day in the sun the carbon will yellow and break down with UV. I have also researched a lot to spray can products which are fine but likely to come off. You need a two part epoxy and Gardner mix if you want to clear coat to last, be hard and producer the carbon from knocks or scratches or prevent the clear coat chipping. West systems 105 mixed with their 207 clear UV resitant Hardner would be the way to go however both will cost you over $100 at burnsco. You can get some 2k clear coat rattle cans that are 2 part in the can where you mix them but these are hard to come buy.

Despite all of this I have resolved to just using rust oleum matte clear coat in a can which is uv resistant and just will re do when I need to in time. Much cheaper option.
    efriz - try duraclear from findlays ltd in nz. he has them in stock.

I just sanded out the scratches and old clear coat off then re cleared it for now.Name:  20220331_201213.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  1.77 MB
    EFriz likes this.

Iron oxide powder ( costs bugger all )

This can be used to tint epoxy etc and could be an option to cover over the filler if you do this again in the future.

I’ve used it to patch up imperfections in carbon in the past and then sanded, clear coat over the top
    dannyb likes this.