Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree8Likes
  • 3 Post By thedrunkfish
  • 1 Post By thedrunkfish
  • 4 Post By WallyR

Thread: Reloading Bench

Reloading Bench

I have been meaning to make a dedicated reloading bench for a while now and finally had some time to do it.
    Im certainly no carpenter but I managed to borrow some quality tools from a mate that made things alot easier main one being a drop saw.

I used h1.2 4x2 framing timber and 18mm ply. In hindsight im sure there are cheaper options out there if you shopped around and 12mm ply would probably do the trick.

Had a look at different designs and found this one to be the simplest of the lot. Managed to knock the frame up in a couple of hours, and gave it a quick stain (mainly because it was pink).

Name:  11225082_10206815484639430_7887560216108178954_n.jpg
Views: 1974
Size:  87.5 KB

Another few hours work the next day to put the top and bottom shelves on fill the holes on the top and give it a stain.

Name:  12105968_10206819873229142_618970964560146807_n.jpg
Views: 1927
Size:  159.3 KB

If i did it again i would use hidden brackets to mount the ply, it was a PITA filling all the holes and doesnt look as good as it could.
    I ran out of 3" square drive screws as well, using these and an impact driver was really fast so progress slowed a bit while assembling the frame.
    kimjon, Maca49 and WallyR like this.

Looks good

Nice job mate! Surprised you haven't wired it up with funky lights or hotpoints yet lol.
    "Professionals are predictable but the world is full of dangerous amateurs"

Cheers bro. Haha, maybe once i get a tumbler or a powered case trimmer setup. Dreams are free right.
    Shooter likes this.

Good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

nowt wrong with that effort squire be welcomed in many a shooters den id say!

Quote Originally Posted by thedrunkfish View Post
    I have been meaning to make a dedicated reloading bench for a while now and finally had some time to do it.
    Im certainly no carpenter but I managed to borrow some quality tools from a mate that made things alot easier main one being a drop saw.

I used h1.2 4x2 framing timber and 18mm ply. In hindsight im sure there are cheaper options out there if you shopped around and 12mm ply would probably do the trick.

Had a look at different designs and found this one to be the simplest of the lot. Managed to knock the frame up in a couple of hours, and gave it a quick stain (mainly because it was pink).

Attachment 41466

Another few hours work the next day to put the top and bottom shelves on fill the holes on the top and give it a stain.

Attachment 41467

If i did it again i would use hidden brackets to mount the ply, it was a PITA filling all the holes and doesnt look as good as it could.
    I ran out of 3" square drive screws as well, using these and an impact driver was really fast so progress slowed a bit while assembling the frame.
    Here's my effort at a reloading bench. Separated a 'man cave' from the garage, lined & insulated it, then built the bench on two walls. Love bench space. Exercise took over 2 months, starting in July '14, from scratch. Missus helped with undercoat and painting (one of her favorite pastimes. Reloading room finished towards end of September. Pretty pleased with the effort, considering that my carpentery skills = 0. Still building benches for various activities - home brewing, general workshop bench and a potting bench for the missus finished today. Clean out all the timber scraps and unwanted gear we brought back from Oz 18 months ago, then mount up the reloading press and various other bits.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 546
Size:  138.2 KB Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 974
Size:  150.0 KB
    Bryan, Beaker, Tommy and 1 others like this.

nice job, hope it works for you