Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Remington 700 Bullpup chassis build

Remington 700 Bullpup chassis build

Right... Ive had quite a few messages and questions in regards to my Bullpup stock on my 6.5 Creedmoor (featured in my "6.5 Creedmoor load development thread") and promised a few of you some more details.

Love them or hate them, bullpups have always been my thing. Moving the action as far rearward as possible and reducing the overall balance and length is one benefit but there are many others.

This build started as an idea about 15 years ago and just never got the tool time.. Ive had a piece of laminate sitting in the racks for just as long, just waiting its turn.
    The design evolved over the years and even more once it was on my workbench but my original drawings were for my Remington 788 in .338 Whisper I had at the time.

When I recently picked up my new Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor with its unwieldy suppressed 24" barrel I got motivated to have a crack at building the bullpup stock for it.

Now.. rather than a big long winded build thread Im just going to post a bunch of pics I took on my phone as I progressed. If you have any questions Ill try answer them. Sorry some of the pics are pretty crap and I didnt document everything but regardless, there's a few to look at.

Inletting:

Additional shaping and pre-fitting parts:

Forward trigger block and linkage:
    Triggers are almost always the downfall and questionable parts on bullpups with the inevitable linkage set ups, but Im very happy with the way this one operates.
    Ive built quite a few PCPs in bullpup stocks so learned a bit about trigger linkage angles etc along the way that got implemented on this build. The trigger is fully adjustable in every way you could think. While it still has a std Xmark Remington trigger I have worked slightly so that it had a 2.5lbs crisp break but adding the linkage actually adds leverage making the trigger very very light if you wanted to set it that way. I added a slotted trigger shoe on the stainless steel linkage bar that can be set up as a "first stage" of trigger movement which gave it a nice two stage feel once tuned.

The forward trigger block is also fully adjustable for weight, position in trigger guard, first stage pull length and over travel.
    I have it set with about a 2mm first stage light and smooth take up which comes to a noticeable stop and then a 1.5lbs crisp break. I left the factory Remington safety catch in place and adjusted the bedding block design to work around it.

Accuracy international pattern mag release:

More prefits, barrel shortened to 20" and rethreaded and cutting up AR15 accessories to work with the chassis:

Gelcoat, filling and prepping for finishing with a spray suede texture coating to look softer more like a synthetic stock and then several coats of Duracoat matt black:

Assembling completed chassis:

I dont really have any good pics of it in its current state as I have made a few changes and have a few more to make but will add them here once done.
    The butt pad is just crappy plastic but I imported a few of the good thick rubber ones from XLR chassis USA, they are not quite as tall so when I get time in the workshop Ill make an adjustable mounting plate to suit and ditch the shitty bulky plastic one. I will shorten the LOP a bit too.

Here it is along side my Rem 700P LTR for length comparison which also has a 20" barrel.
    The 6.5 pup is currently 800mm long to the muzzle but will drop to 780mm with the new rubber but pad.

Nice work. How rigid is the connection between the action and the AR handguard upon which the scope is mounted? Wouldn't that be a critical factor?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stretch View Post
    Nice work. How rigid is the connection between the action and the AR handguard upon which the scope is mounted? Wouldn't that be a critical factor?

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Thank you,
    Yes you are right and I dont have many pics of that area but will try to explain how I executed a rigid scope mount.
    As it is a chassis not a stock as such, all components had to work in and be locked together. The scope is quite heavy and the AR handguard is thin 6061 T6 and has flex so needed reinforcing and multiple mounting bolts.

The handguard has a custom bushing at the rear like an AR15 barrel nut that fits over the barrel and up against the recoil lug. The handguard bolts to that bush through the sides and underneath.
    There is a second press fit bush at the front of the hand guard that holds it central to the barrel.
    The action and handguard is bedded in Devcon as a single unit to the laminate bedding block with alloy pillars in 4 locations, two in the action and two in the underside of the handguard. Finally I have milled a stabilizing bar for the top of the rail to stop any flex or twisting, it bolts up on the top front action screws where you would normally mount a scope rail and extends forward under the scope and bolts into the handguard.
    It actually shoots better in this chassis than it did in the MDT LSS but that could also have to do with accuracy nodes and harmonics after I shortened the barrel 4 inches.
    The scope sits up there rock solid and there is no POI change from cold bore shot to "cook an egg on your suppressor smoking hot" ..

This is the top rail stabilizer being machined, it was not in the first photos as it was duracoated and added later.

veitnamcam, Brian, Bernie and 3 others like this.

Clever prick!
    veitnamcam likes this.

How do you release bolt?
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    How do you release bolt?
    Use heaps of 2209 MEM5158

well done, looks great

res
    fantastic job
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Use heaps of 2209 MEM5158
    Ha ha.. you first..
    @Ryan_Songhurst The bolt release was going to be on the underside, just an extended button on a return spring that contacted the bolt release button in front of the trigger but it didnt align well with the alloy stock frame holes and would have looked out of place. Instead I improvised with a simple access hole in the side of the bedding block that lines up with the bolt release and can be activated with the tip of a bullet or similar.(if you are a .270 owner you could use the tip of your fornicating tool aka "customs officer")

Last edited by Wingman; 05-09-2018 at 12:07 PM.
    Tommy, Moa Hunter and Bigash like this.

Something else Ive added after the pics were taken is a 4" KeyMod alloy picatinny rail with a quick release sling mount. It works well with an Atlas bipod.

How much does the bullpup weigh inclusive of scope and accessories?

That’s awesome.
    Very nicely finished.
    Thanks for taking the time to post it up. Well done !

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    How much does the bullpup weigh inclusive of scope and accessories?
    The bare rifle in chassis weighs the same as the std 20" heavy barrel Remington 700 Tactical in the Hogue stock at 7.5lbs.
    It balances much better though with its COG at the pistol grip not the fore grip. It makes for very steady off hand shooting.

With the glass, empty 10rnd mag, suppressor and bipod its 12.3lbs. Not a total lightweight but it was always going to be my long range rig and needed some heft to it.
    Its very light in the recoil department with no muzzle lift, something else this bullpup platform excels at.
    Last edited by Wingman; 05-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.

Here's a quick vid looking at the trigger linkage, cycling on the bench while keeping eyes on target, and its first live fire testing.

https://youtu.be/H21DGX3377M

Puke down?
    WallyR likes this.