Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By 308
  • 2 Post By stretch
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst

Thread: Shipping container for gun vault/C category?

Shipping container for gun vault/C category?

With me and the missus looking at purchasing a house very soon the idea of making my own space to set up a few display racks and reloading gear etc got me into thinking of possible "vault" ideas. My first thought was a shipping container as it will remain portable in future if we ever move. The only issue is that securing shipping containers against the modern age of portable angle grinders seems a bit of a hassle... sure there's all kinds of lock boxes and shrouds to protect the padlocks, but if I make the doors too secure then they'll just cut through the walls?

What can I do to secure the container as best I can against these kinds of attacks? Line the inside walls with aluminium plate to clog up the grinder blades, then plywood on top of that to attach shelving to etc?

Also looked at getting it half burried and then covered over with the front doors exposed and heavily reinforced, but further reading found that they don't hold up well against corrosion when burried unless heavily treated with special protectants that will skyrocket the price.

At the end of the day though, what the easiest way to get into someone secure storage? Smack the wife around a bit till you tell them where the keys are... though I guess the best defence is for the knowledge of what I own to be on a need to know basis.

If it works out with the place you buy I'd get a half-size container and load it in to a carport or some such then build around it so that it is dry but totally enclosed

Or, pour a concrete pad next to the house, sidelift a 20 footer in then build a block wall to close it in and a roof overhead
    Steve123 likes this.

Boaraxa and Tommy like this.

(MEXICAN PROTECTION WALL) Get in before
    Donald Trump does

What a great sales line.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    With me and the missus looking at purchasing a house very soon the idea of making my own space to set up a few display racks and reloading gear etc got me into thinking of possible "vault" ideas. My first thought was a shipping container as it will remain portable in future if we ever move. The only issue is that securing shipping containers against the modern age of portable angle grinders seems a bit of a hassle... sure there's all kinds of lock boxes and shrouds to protect the padlocks, but if I make the doors too secure then they'll just cut through the walls?

What can I do to secure the container as best I can against these kinds of attacks? Line the inside walls with aluminium plate to clog up the grinder blades, then plywood on top of that to attach shelving to etc?

Also looked at getting it half burried and then covered over with the front doors exposed and heavily reinforced, but further reading found that they don't hold up well against corrosion when burried unless heavily treated with special protectants that will skyrocket the price.

At the end of the day though, what the easiest way to get into someone secure storage? Smack the wife around a bit till you tell them where the keys are... though I guess the best defence is for the knowledge of what I own to be on a need to know basis.
    Try www.ecotech.co.nz , you get the home and the c cat room from factory. You can specify the wall composition, layout of house, add a big door & locks for the security etc...
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

My dad has a shipping container set up as his gunroom, it has lockable racks around the walls that contain his firearms, it backs onto his shed and to enter it you must first enter a locked room inside the shed and then there is access into the container from there. He shoots for a living and is also armourer for his pistol club. His rifles are only A and E cat but he was scrutinised hard since "it isn't hard for the general public to work out that he owns firearms" and no problems with the container.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

I personally don't think it would comply for anything other then a cat, if your wanting b,c,d,e a change of doors and wall reinforcing could apply. but really just check with your local arms office.
    Muckos Shooting accessories and engineering https://www.facebook.com/aimnzengineering/