Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By NzMavrick
  • 1 Post By The bomb

Thread: The spare 10/22

The spare 10/22

So I've been trying to give a little life to a spare 10/22 that I got so I had a super basic 10/22 for mates new to shooting could have some basic fun with safely without my main rifle getting treated poorly. (As I write that it sounds like I'm either really precious about my main rifles or extremely loose with this spare - I assure you neither is the case other than maybe being a bit precious about my main rifle I love using)

My spare 10/22 I got from a forum member for cheap as they were heading overseas. It had an Eagle optics 4x standard scope on it and came with extras so thanks to him for the sale. Generally though it seemed like a standard "good" rifle and a good deal.

It also came in a plastic feeling stock that made me cringe everything I picked it up though so I really wasn't that interested in shooting it. And of course why shouldn't it be a rifle I can enjoy as well. I have liked the look of Dad's old 10/22 that was the first rifle I ever shot when I was about 7 or 8. So I thought this time around I'd get a wooden stock.

I was able to grab a wooden stock (that I thought was a Ruger stock but I didn't confirm before buying) off trademe for cheap and have just put it on.

This is where I hit a bit of trouble. Just screwing the main screw in and shouldering the rifle I could immediately feel the barrell and action were slightly loose.(this is when I looked closer and worked out that I didn't think this was a proper Ruger branded stock - yeah bad me for being lazy). Like loose enough that I wouldn't bother shooting from 10m away from anything to check it's accuracy. So I put the barrell band I had from the original stock I had and put this with the wooden stock.

I'll have to wait to give it a proper go on my range. But what's people thoughts on the barrell band and that potentially causing accuracy issues for me? At the moment the band is holding the barrell tight and steady.

My other solutions are to try a couple of washers at the main screw point.

I think I've attached the photos in the right wayName:  20210716_151217.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  3.97 MBName:  20210716_153033.jpg
Views: 520
Size:  4.19 MBName:  20210601_012442.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  1.49 MB
    Bol Tackshin likes this.

Ugh so the photos didn't come out perfectly BUT I'm sure you guys are smart enough to work out bottom is how I got it in original condition minus the suppressor then the top is with just the stocks swapped over then the middle is the current condition with the barrell band a spare suppressor

Oh and I swapped a spare Ranger scope onto it

Looks like a nice piece of wood whatever its off. So how does it shoot now with the band on?

Yeah I quiet like the lolok of the wood and think its a tad nicer in person. has a great feel to it and not overally heavy - sadly still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet

Looks same as my ruger stock,I took my barrel band off and it improved the accuracy,loose action in the stock does sound od though.I would try the washer fix first then bed the rear action and tip of the stock if that didn’t work.
    rugerman likes this.

Greetings All,
    My 10-22 is the Sporter model without a band and it has always shot well. The barreled action does feel reasonably tight in the stock. I have had it since new an d I don't think it has been re bedded although it did gain some after market bits when it resided with my son for a bit.
    Regards Grandpamac.

The barrel band on 10/22 is to protect the barrel V block from shifting...it should be only tight enough to hold a piece of paper inside it.

the barrel band is for cosmetic purposes to make it look like a M1 carbine........the same as the butt stock. marketed to the GI's after the war