Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Moa Hunter
  • 2 Post By bunji
  • 1 Post By Robojaz

Thread: stiffy

northdude

stiffy

anyone stiffened up the fore end on a howa mini stock I've got some resin and threaded rod...

"howa stock"....yeah right

northdude
    Ok well it is mini😬

Banned
    Dont laugh but I stiffened a plastic stock with lightweight automotive bog and bamboo skewers and it worked extremely well. I considered resin but flagged it because of the weight.
    Micky Duck likes this.

northdude
    Weight doesnt bother me

Yep, I've done it and its brilliant.
    One of the more accurate rifles I've owned.
    I had to make do with what I had re tools, so used a grinding stone in a drill - roughed up the channel and used some 2 pack resin.
    Also took the opportunity to ensure no barrel touch.

We have used this now on 3 Howas,2 Rem 700 & 2 Sako A7's . I brought one of the first Howa mini 223 to come in,it shot extremely well out of the box but l hated the stock & its flex, a mate brought one after he seen how mine shot but it did not shoot as well, so he bedded it & used this to stiffen it up, after seeing how it went l did the same with mine,the bedding job improved his rifles accuracy, but mine shot the same which l was more than happy with any way, (1/2 & 3/4 MOA with favored loads), but the stock was stiffened up nicely .I hate how bulky the Mini stock is for such a nice sized action & have decided when l get mine back from my daughter who claimed it, l am going to get a nice old school walnut stock for it as it is a keeper . This stock stabilizer does a great job on the A7's as well & puts them heads & shoulders above a Tikka when it is done justifying the extra coin IMO .

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...tabilizer.html
    Brakelie and Micky Duck like this.

+1 on the stock stabiliser as above. I’ve used it a heap of times and it works brilliantly. Just make sure to prep the stock well as per the instructions. Takes a bit of time, but worth it.

Does the stabilizer add much weight ? The missus has a mini and the stock flex is quite bad . Doesn't bother her but does me !
    But she likes the light weight...
    born to hunt - forced to work

Quote Originally Posted by Ftx325 View Post
    Does the stabilizer add much weight ? The missus has a mini and the stock flex is quite bad . Doesn't bother her but does me !
    Yep, potentially adds a lot of weight. I used the stock stabiliser on a CZ527 plastic stock which took a lot of material to fill all the voids.
    It worked amazingly, but I'm glad it's in a Varmint rifle, and not a mountain rifle.

Have a Rem 700 SPS Tactical in 223 that came with a hogue stock which was quite flexible. I used the terminal ballistics product to bed the action and stabilise the forend. To save weight and increase stiffness I used some old carbon fibre arrow shafts pushed into the resin. The shafts added stiffness and the hollow voids in the shafts reduced the amount of resin used and hence the weight.

Was a good solution at the time. Have since replaced stock with an aftermarket one.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

We always countered the weight gain when adding the stiffner by carefully taking out some material where it is being added with the dremel , as it needs voids/holes to key in anyway & it is basically setting like light steel .

seen it done with bamboo skewers ( light and strong) plus fi-glass resin.
    i dont think my howa is flexi though

I weighed my model 7 stock prior to stabilising and bedding, and then afterwards. The stock gained 2oz or about 60g. She probably wouldn’t notice the weight difference in her hand....
    That was with the Terminal Ballistics stock stabiliser and steel filled bedding compound.