Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 69
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: Switch barrel : any experience ?

  1. #1
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    5,002

    Switch barrel : any experience ?

    Anyone here done a switch barrel rife ?

    Specifically interested in comments around recoil lug pinning vs lug alignment tool

    Also internal vs external action wrench setups.

    At the moment my thoughts are leaning to the following:

    Happy to remove the action & barrel from the bedded stock, but still keen on internal / rear entry wrench so that I can leave the bases on the action.

    Same bolt face for both calibers, slim barrel for general hunting, heavy profile for varmint.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  2. #2
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,370
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Anyone here done a switch barrel rife ?

    Specifically interested in comments around recoil lug pinning vs lug alignment tool

    Also internal vs external action wrench setups.

    At the moment my thoughts are leaning to the following:

    Happy to remove the action & barrel from the bedded stock, but still keen on internal / rear entry wrench so that I can leave the bases on the action.

    Same bolt face for both calibers, slim barrel for general hunting, heavy profile for varmint.
    What a mammoth fuck around that sounds like

    Solution
    Name:  blaser_r8.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  24.1 KB
    Blaser and shift14 like this.

  3. #3
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    5,002
    Yeah well James, I am missing the 6k for the blouser, and have a lefty action and both barrels already so looking to make the most of what I have...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  4. #4
    Gone But Not Forgotten Toby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Wouldn't you like to know
    Posts
    11,099
    Mauser have a switch barrel rifle

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    603
    A Blaser wouldn't be my ideal solution either. I have seen a remington actioned switch barrel where the barrel knox had some flats milled on it and the owner had a custom made barrel wench to suit and an action wrench.
    Last edited by Shamus; 09-06-2014 at 09:55 PM.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Christchurch
    Posts
    3,295
    many people use the barnard as a switch barrel platform i think?

    Using the aluminium bedding block means no recoil lug worries

  7. #7
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawkes Bay
    Posts
    6,370
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Yeah well James, I am missing the 6k for the blouser, and have a lefty action and both barrels already so looking to make the most of what I have...
    Buy a second hand Blaser for less than half that. Sell the action and send the tubes to Abe. Solved
    Blaser likes this.

  8. #8
    Almost literate. veitnamcam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Nelson
    Posts
    20,046
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...ead.php?t=6202

    Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

  9. #9
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    5,002
    Barrel clamp is just a hole drilled in some steel and a slot cut with hacksaw, you don't need anything more than that. That is what we used to change the barrel on my Omark.

    Internal action wrench can be dead simple as well.

    Machine the barrel correctly, and you just tighten it to a known torque spec...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    CNI
    Posts
    1,848
    I own a Schultz and Larsen 308 Classic dl (which is a switch barrel rifle). I have a 21inch standard profile barrel and a jaktmatch fluted sporting /hunting barrel at 25 inches. Shoots very well and the original rifle less than 3 g. I saw one in 6.5*55 in Outdoorsman Rotorua the other day for about $2700. Extra barrels about $1500 last time I asked James Pain. I think Sauer also offer a switch barrel option.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Rapa
    Posts
    443
    I've got a Rem700 in .308 and 7SAUM. Sits in an AICS stock. Recoil lug pinned as wanted to be able to change barrels without removing stock. I use an rear entry action wrench as the side entry interfered with the scope. Torque to the same each time and things "shouldn't" be an issue. I use a modified .308 AI 5 round mag theat feeds both cartridges and a PT&G Bolt for the 7SAUM. Just have to load test the 7SAUM.

  12. #12
    Member Blaser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ashhurst
    Posts
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    I own a Schultz and Larsen 308 Classic dl (which is a switch barrel rifle). I have a 21inch standard profile barrel and a jaktmatch fluted sporting /hunting barrel at 25 inches. Shoots very well and the original rifle less than 3 g. I saw one in 6.5*55 in Outdoorsman Rotorua the other day for about $2700. Extra barrels about $1500 last time I asked James Pain. I think Sauer also offer a switch barrel option.
    Nice looking rifle. What do you do to run calibers with different head sizes?

  13. #13
    DAC
    DAC is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    12
    Cheapest solition ( and reliable) is Roessler titan , half prices compared with Blaser . Your action and barrels...no guarantee will work .

    Trimis de pe al meu GT-I9100 folosind Tapatalk

  14. #14
    ebf
    ebf is offline
    The gnome returns ! ebf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Hutt Valley
    Posts
    5,002
    Guys, not interested in buying a whole new rifle, I have an action and two barrels already... Just keen to hear what the options are for putting it together.
    @NZShoota, thanks, that sounds like what I am after. Single or double pin ? Could you post pic of your rear wrench pls. My action in Remmy 788, so not looking at a lug based wrench. Just round bar, with a slot milled in it, then pop a "key" into the roundbar through the action port.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby
    Black rifles matter...

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Guys, not interested in buying a whole new rifle, I have an action and two barrels already... Just keen to hear what the options are for putting it together.
    @NZShoota, thanks, that sounds like what I am after. Single or double pin ? Could you post pic of your rear wrench pls. My action in Remmy 788, so not looking at a lug based wrench. Just round bar, with a slot milled in it, then pop a "key" into the roundbar through the action port.
    My 2c worth.... I have had guys ask numerous times over the years about building a switch barrel rifle, usually as a way of saving some $$. Sounds good in theory but in practice there are several problems. Trying to get the barrel/receiver fit to be as tight and consistent as possible while being still being relatively easy to remove, is an engineering challenge that has been a problem for custom gunsmiths for over 100 years. Conventional threads always wear over time, and play develops. Unless you need the rifle to be quick take-down for compact transporting reasons, then the whole concept is a waste of time and effort.
    In most European cases the prime reason for switch barrel rifles is where there is a legal restriction on how many rifles you may own (I.e. - only 1 centre fire hunting rifle.)

    Drawbacks are: having to re-zero your scope every time you change barrels - this means trip to the range and more ammo every time you change barrel/scope. You can't use both rifles/barrels at the same time (I.e. Taking a visiting mate for a hunt). Cost: usually ends up working out to the same cost as having 2 or 3 separate rifles anyway - so why not have 2 separate rifles set-up that you don't need to tear down, and will have a better chance of shooting well.

    If you have the $$ and really need a take down rifle, then the Blaser system with the bolt lock-up directly into the barrel and scope mount directly on the barrel shank, would tend to make them the better modern choice for a take-down/switch-barrel rifle.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. switch rifle setup?
    By greghud in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 14-02-2014, 07:53 AM
  2. My Switch Barrel
    By madjon_ in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-03-2013, 03:11 PM
  3. How to switch back to green
    By Munsey in forum Questions, Comments, Suggestions, Testing.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 06:57 AM
  4. Anyone had any experience with one of these?
    By Savage1 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 31-01-2013, 03:37 PM
  5. Anyone here had experience with the BAD lever for an AR?
    By Savage1 in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-08-2012, 08:13 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!