Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Synthetic stock suggestions for a CF2

Banned

Synthetic stock suggestions for a CF2

I have a a very accurate 2506 AI built on a BSA CF2 action with the wooden Monte Carlo stock. The balance isnt quite right and I am wondering if anyone has restocked one with a synthetic stock ?

It looks like it could be fitted into a Rem 700 stock at a glance but I am open to suggestions. Preferably a blind magazine, then I can ditch the heavy diecast bottom metal assembly.
    Thoughts ??

Had a CF2 in 270 in the mid 70's. The problem you identify is weight and lots of it. Personally thought you would need a slick milling lathe to give it a Jenny Craig.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Any ideas on a stock anyone ??

I reckon you could take almost any carbon stock (inletted for whatever) and make it work. It would involve a bit of mucking around, but doable.
    I’ve played with composites a bit, and imagine it would go something like this:
    Take say a Rem M700 stock and first work out which king screw pillar (if any) you will use to begin. It would probably be the rear one, so leave that and remove the front one and reposition to suit your BSA action. You will need to make headless action screws to help fit the action to the stock in the modifying process, and while gluing in the pillar(s). With the pillars set, start in letting where required to get the action to sit at the right depth. The fill is super easy to work with basic tools. You may need to replace the fill in some areas (use epoxy and lightweight micro ballon filler). You will be almost ready to bed the action at this point with whatever product you choose. You may need to play with the top line of the stock around the loading/ejection port, but a bit of epoxy filler and paint is your friend there.
    The real work will come in getting the magazine to work, but will only be an issue if the new stock is deeper than the old one necessitating a new mag box. Not too hard to do (if you’ve done it before)...

Not a super tricky job overall, just a bit fiddly and time consuming. But if you can get a stock cheap could be worth a go.
    Moa Hunter and Micky Duck like this.

Banned
    Great info thanks Nick. What do I build pillars from and what is micro - balloon filler ? The action is machined flat underneath full length with the front recoil lug machined as a step on the end.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    Someone was selling a Stug carbon 700 stock on here a few days back. It had already been adapted to some other action and is probably a good candidate for another go around.
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    Great info thanks Nick. What do I build pillars from and what is micro - balloon filler ? The action is machined flat underneath full length with the front recoil lug machined as a step on the end.
    You can get as fancy or as basic as you want with pillars really. Get some Ali tube of the right diameter and square the ends on a lathe (ultimate solution) or square them up carefully with a file. I have a few times put a piece of tube in a drill, spun it up and used a file to square up/shape.
    Microballon filler is an addictive that you mix into epoxy resin to make a low density high volume filler. I have used a lot of West System 105 epoxy with 407 or 410 fillers. Used it heaps boat building etc.

Banned
    Cheers Nick, I watched a couple of Midway Tutorials - one on pillar bedding explained the principal very well. I understand why you suggested PB as the way to do it

The hardest bit to account for in the CF2 will be the front action screw being into the recoil lug and getting the inleting depth correct (for both the bottom metal and action) depending on how tidy you want it to look.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by feratox View Post
    The hardest bit to account for in the CF2 will be the front action screw being into the recoil lug and getting the inleting depth correct (for both the bottom metal and action) depending on how tidy you want it to look.
    Yes correct. I figured if I went to a blind mag I could do away with the heavy diecast bottom metal, or a least keep it with the original stock.

I've been trying to work out how to do something similar myself

If I had a bit more disposable income, I would buy a stock and do this for my BSA .222 and document it as a ‘build along’. Unfortunately, I’m in hardcore save mode post separation.....

I thought about offering to give it a go for you, but that could get a bit niggly if it doesn’t work out 100%
    Moa Hunter likes this.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunter_Nick View Post
    If I had a bit more disposable income, I would buy a stock and do this for my BSA .222 and document it as a ‘build along’. Unfortunately, I’m in hardcore save mode post separation.....

I thought about offering to give it a go for you, but that could get a bit niggly if it doesn’t work out 100%
    Ahh yes, but I know something that you dont, and that is that I already have a spare, barreled CF2 action to play with
    Hunter_Nick likes this.

Bos
    Ive got this spare stock which is just that - spare, if its any good for what you want
    I know what it cost, but a couple of hundy($200.00) would cover it. Its a Bell and Carlson composite thats been hydrodipped
    Name:  Stock 2.JPG
Views: 161
Size:  171.6 KB
    Name:  Stock 1.JPG
Views: 199
Size:  171.7 KB

Banned
    Nice stock Bos, and I do like B&C stocks. Ideally looking for a 'Blind Mag'. Do you have the bottom metal ?
    What is 'Hydro dipping' by the way, apart from crossing a river, I read about it but dont know what is meant. Is it some form of evangelical Baptism ?