Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: Tabletop reloading set up

Tabletop reloading set up

Hey guys
    Newly getting into reloading, and setting up my equipment.
    Just wondered if anyone had built (or used) a tabletop bench reloading set up? I will attach some pictures of designs that I am considering building. Hoping for something that is portable, holds the press and provides a workspace, able to just be clamped to a table etc.
    If anyone has done something similar I would be interested to see their designs, and how it has worked for them.
    Cheers!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Suggest you take a good lood at Lee hand press. These work really well and allow full portability and "in drawer" storage along with scales, trimmers etc. Cheaper too.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Before you commit to a nicely built thing.
    Mock up something rough to give it a proper try. If you only reload enough for hunting then dont be too worried about comfort etc
    But if you plan on shooting a lot, then get it all right or you will be pissed off.

Clamp the press to a bench and load up a couple hundred rounds to see what annoys you, then fix it.
    JoelA, Max Headroom and mimms2 like this.
    Use enough gun

Cheers Woody - have already brought a 2nd hand press etc. Just looking for ideas on set up designs. Thanks though!

And get the height of the bench spot on.
    If you can, try one that is already set up
    JoelA likes this.
    Use enough gun

Not tabletop size, but this is my portable press frame made from 3 x 3 fence post and other bits glued, screwed and nailed together.

Name:  IMG_20200803_092057728.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  4.39 MB
    Barefoot, johnd, res and 6 others like this.

Another rough way is to bolt your existing press to a piece of 6*2 then pad the other end of the wood and use a strong C- clamp to attach to the kitchen table ( After dinner, not before). Same with powder dispenser.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Banned
    I am with Woody on bolting it to a piece of timber and clamping that to the work bench. I used 250 x 50 which leaves room for a clamp each side. Dont counterdrill the holes for flush fit bolt heads like I did - primers fall in there and have to be picked out.

Quote Originally Posted by Moa Hunter View Post
    I am with Woody on bolting it to a piece of timber and clamping that to the work bench. I used 250 x 50 which leaves room for a clamp each side. Dont counterdrill the holes for flush fit bolt heads like I did - primers fall in there and have to be picked out.
    I did pretty much that for years until I built a garage extension onto the house. Now two houses later I am currently using a modified school desk. Very portable if you want to load at the range. A recent garage re organisation has left space for a more permanent bench which I must get on to.
    Regards Grandpamac.

Name:  20200227_113337.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  2.71 MB

Cheers for all the input guys! Will see how I go and what I end up with. Will try to pop a photo up of what I end up using.

Appreciate the heads up Mauser308 regarding safety around using food areas etc - a good reminder!

Mines a steel frame, wooden top on steel wheels with steel cabinet sitting on a shelf, could push it around where ever I wanted it, sitting in storage at Brians now.

Have settled with this set up for the moment - very portable and just clamp to a flat surface. Works well at present, I am sure it will change over time though!
    Unable to attach photos at present so here are the links to what I've done so far.
    https://ibb.co/ZxJg98g
    https://ibb.co/k53pcKT
    Barefoot, Woody and takbok like this.

That looks great Joel, good way to start out.
    Just a tip about using beam scales, set them up at eye level so you get a consistent "read " every time. In your living room situation you might have to sit on the carpet!

Quote Originally Posted by Woody View Post
    Another rough way is to bolt your existing press to a piece of 6*2 then pad the other end of the wood and use a strong C- clamp to attach to the kitchen table ( After dinner, not before). Same with powder dispenser.
    this is what I have with two G/C clamps
    Built for when I was renting
    works fine and I havent bothered replacing it

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Theres a bloke here in Australia who sells steel frames welded up for reloading setups. they're very neat with multiple holes so you can fit whatever press you like into them.

Can find him on facebook.

Farr Superior Accuracy.
    https://www.facebook.com/Farr-Superi...10163660773076

He has some cool setups.