Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Thumb stick / shooting stick

Thumb stick / shooting stick

Always fancyed making a walking stick so last year I picked up a length of Lancewood from the brother in laws farm, and have had it aging in the garage for 10 months or so. I belive your ment to wait a year, but been somthing to do the last couple of days.
    I sanded the bark off and made it nice to hold, chopped it to length pre drilled a 3mm hole in the center at the top and screwed a 100m screw about 40mm in to the Lance wood then chopped off the head and the shank off with a grinder creating a point on topof the 40mm thread sticking out.
    I then lined up the piece of antler and screwed it on as the center of the Antler is fairly soft the is no need to predrill a hole. Before I screwed it right down I put a blob of pva round the thread and on top of the wood then screwed it down tight and left to set.
    Once dry I used a flap disc on my grinder to blend it in and finished with sandpaper.
    Finaly I applied a coat of wax to seal it.
    Job done realy easy todo can't wait to get out and use it. The stick is about armpit hight so perfect to use as a standing rest for the rifle or binos.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Looks good mate. Should make a good rest for rabbit shooting where you need a bit of height sometimes
    Moa Hunter and Samsamdjt like this.

Looks great! Be interested in how you find using it. I bought a collapsible one to double as walking pole and shooting rest. I found it disappointing as a shooting rest being a mono pole. Bloody thing wobbles and amplifies every small movement I make if used out in front with rifle resting in V. I'm looking hard at a set of tripod shooting sticks that are hinged at the top and lash together lower down to form a walking pole. But maybe I'm using the monopole wrong.

Nicely done, will be a great hill stick. @Jhon suggest you look at adjustable bipod walking/shooting sticks. Work really well for open country and tussock where you need the height to shoot from seated, kneeling or standing. Seated or kneeling you can get a very stable and solid platform. Serious Shooters have some that won’t break the bank.
    Samsamdjt and Jhon like this.

Well done. This stick needs to be taken for a walk in the bush.

I use a tramping pole. Can also shorten it and use as a rest when glassing for long periods

SiB
    I started with a monopole rest. The sideways ‘jiggle’ was frustrating.

I moved up to the tripod ‘trigger stick’. Awesome piece of kit - they are rock solid at standing/sitting height, and not too onerous to carry. For wallaby/bunny shooting they’re quick and quiet to set up and have significantly improved my kill rate.

An investment yes, but a small price to pay when, like optics and set up of our rifle of choice, we invest to do the job right, once.

The trigger stick is now part of my regular kit and unless I was doing a bush hunt (ie short range and plenty of rests), I carry it with me

For the photographers it comes with a quick-detach camera fitting, Useful for selfies etc

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    I started with a monopole rest. The sideways ‘jiggle’ was frustrating.

I moved up to the tripod ‘trigger stick’. Awesome piece of kit - they are rock solid at standing/sitting height, and not too onerous to carry. For wallaby/bunny shooting they’re quick and quiet to set up and have significantly improved my kill rate.

An investment yes, but a small price to pay when, like optics and set up of our rifle of choice, we invest to do the job right, once.

The trigger stick is now part of my regular kit and unless I was doing a bush hunt (ie short range and plenty of rests), I carry it with me

For the photographers it comes with a quick-detach camera fitting, Useful for selfies etc
    Did you import them? Source? Price? and do they function well as a walking stick collapsed?

Jhon, yer that would be the go have a look at quad sticks very sterdy and fold in to one pole the timber ones do anyway. You can make some cheap ones out of garden stakes great things I have a set I use now and again.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

I certainly does that was the plan this weekend, I have a new pack and some first light trousers that need a walk out too. But unfortunately not going to happen due to the current situation

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZOcD_FWLPb2vk3
    Have a look at these pricey but the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Samsamdjt View Post
    Jhon, yer that would be the go have a look at quad sticks very sterdy and fold in to one pole the timber ones do anyway. You can make some cheap ones out of garden stakes great things I have a set I use now and again.
    yes, had a look around, seen them in use in UK vids, open fields and woodland would be awesome. prices are up there! making a set might be on the agenda I think. be great for paddock shooting hares, rabbits and magpies for sure. i hate going prone, let me rephrase that, if i go prone I may never rise again lol

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ZOcD_FWLPb2vk3
    Have a look at these pricey but the best.
    yes, found those last night, would have to sell a rifle lol, and probably a press to cover shipping..

Banned
    Some of that garden centre bamboo is bloody strong for its weight and thickness, great for making a prototype.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    Looks great! Be interested in how you find using it. I bought a collapsible one to double as walking pole and shooting rest. I found it disappointing as a shooting rest being a mono pole. Bloody thing wobbles and amplifies every small movement I make if used out in front with rifle resting in V. I'm looking hard at a set of tripod shooting sticks that are hinged at the top and lash together lower down to form a walking pole. But maybe I'm using the monopole wrong.
    Have you tried turning your body towards the target then (RH shooter) place the bottom of the stick against the inside of your right instep and the stick resting against the inside of the left leg just above the knee, then rifle fore end grip pushing away to lock the stick ?
    Samsamdjt likes this.