Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Tinting epoxy

Tinting epoxy

I'm bedding a jw103 with Norski epoxy filler. The label says it can be tinted. Anyone know if black spray paint would work as a tint ?
    I may have to try a small batch to see but have been stuffing about all week experimenting with 2 different epoxies and various release agents so really want to crack on with it.

Sent from my SM-G390Y using Tapatalk

Graphite works, I've used it several times, I'd be inclined to use powdered stuff rather than liquid.
    Klhari likes this.

Hi Steve.

Workshop Innovation sells epoxy die and they do courier. Or at least they did at the start of the lock down.

Failing that......
    I've never tried paint, but if you can find a black roller ball pen or permanent marker, try it.(extract the ink)

The ink in pens gives a darker shade of black( Permanent markers tend to give a deep dark purple finish).

I think spraypaint might be risky, but worth a test at least. One stockmaker recommended lampblack (candle soot) as a good bedding pigment. Seems to be plenty of guidance on google on gathering it effectively, but I've never tried it myself. Might be a good idea to fire off any wax residue in the oven? I'll see if I can find his advice.

Edit: Here it is: Extremely basic process! Run a lit candle under a piece of metal (steel usually) close enough to impinge on the flames, but not close enough to hit the metal with the wick (it might leave some wax on the metal) until a thin layer has been built. Scrape it off with a knife edge into your epoxy and stir it in...

It takes very little to get epoxy very black.
    Steve123 and Klhari like this.

I have always just added graphite powder it also works adding it to silicon to colour it black.
    But most places sell a die for bedding compound.

Sent from my CPH1903 using Tapatalk

i use the pigment used to colour concrete you only need a tiny amount
    nevereadyfreddy likes this.

All powder oxides work, any liquid would need to be specific to the resin or you will have separation. You will only need a pinch of powder, goes a long way.
    Steve123 likes this.
    Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

Cheers guy's I'll try the candle soot one. The whole idea of this is to use stuff I've got around the house. I've been meaning to do this for a while and finally have the time to. If I wait till everythings open again I won't have the time. Brown would be even better, maybe adding a spot of rust powder? Nah I'll stick to black.
    Cordite likes this.

Use black oxide. Its powder they use to tint concrete. Mapei sell a range of epoxy tint, it come in little tubs with a paste/very thick paint consistency. I'd be surprised if resene couldn't get you some pigment as they sell a range of epoxy paint

Charcoal should do it and should add rigidity. A problem with pure epoxy can be is creep, especially at higher temperatures.

The ancient Neanderthalers used an advanced mixture of birch bark resin (extracted by heating birch bark in a closed container, i.e. no air to it) with ground charcoal. The charcoal resulted in a more rigid, non-flowing, compound about as strong as epoxy once it cooled. They used it to attach spear and arrowheads and flint blades into knife handles.
    mimms2 likes this.
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

if you have to buy it, resin tint is available from workshop innovation.
    https://www.workshopinnovation.co.nz...ts.asp?cat=188

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanfish View Post
    Use black oxide. Its powder they use to tint concrete. Mapei sell a range of epoxy tint, it come in little tubs with a paste/very thick paint consistency. I'd be surprised if resene couldn't get you some pigment as they sell a range of epoxy paint
    The whole point is using things readily available. I'm not waiting for shops to open. I may be able to shake a bit of black oxide out of my chalkline but this whole thing has to be a "kiwi as No8" and improvise with what I have on hand. If this goes well I'll do some more rifles with the proper stuff when I can get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Charcoal should do it and should add rigidity. A problem with pure epoxy can be is creep, especially at higher temperatures.

The ancient Neanderthalers used an advanced mixture of birch bark resin (extracted by heating birch bark in a closed container, i.e. no air to it) with ground charcoal. The charcoal resulted in a more rigid, non-flowing, compound about as strong as epoxy once it cooled. They used it to attach spear and arrowheads and flint blades into knife handles.
    I'll be doing that if this lockdown goes into week 5 or 6
    Cordite likes this.

If you have kids, the drawing chalk they play with may do the trick if it is powdered. Chalks are inert and there are a variety of colours.
    Cordite likes this.

There are lots of things you can use, I used liquid orange fabric dye mixed into epoxy to fix an indicator lens

There is some good info on it here
    https://www.epoxyworks.com/index.php...poxy/#more-565
    Cordite likes this.