Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By misha2001
  • 1 Post By Andrew46826
  • 1 Post By misha2001

Thread: Trusty Enfield Upgrade

Trusty Enfield Upgrade

Bought my Enfield earlier this year to go on a Queens birthday weekend stroll with my son. When trying to sight in the scope, found it kept sliding off the rail. After a number of rounds, thought I might as well just start walking, figuring that I would probably shoot from the hip if I saw something.

Got home and thought, well, time to fix this.

First item - new scope rail made by ATI. Attached it no worries. New rings for the scope. Went to the range, but could not see the target. Discovered that the insides of the scope had come loose. Bugger.

Next item, new scope. Got a SUPER STRIKE 6-24x50 Illuminated Red & Green.

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1363
Size:  63.7 KB

Then spotted a nice synthetic stock by ATI. Did some cogitation get for a couple of weeks, asked the supplier if he had them in black. Had to wait a few weeks, but eventually arrived. Stripped the rifle and reassembled using the new stock.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1343
Size:  189.0 KB

Views: 1301
Size:  745.9 KB

Now it's looking pretty good I thought.

Next item, a bipod of course. Got a few years under my wheels, and the muscles have been battered and bruised with lots of Motorsport bumps, so holding the rifle to sight in gets a bit wandery.

Views: 1363
Size:  191.3 KB

Chatting to the son recently, and he showed me what he had done to his Savage Axis 308. Shortened barrel, big whisper tube on the nose, and a variable power scope, sitting on a bipod make for one mean looking unit. Got me thinking, maybe I should complete my project with a whisper tube... Mmmmmm...decisions...
    Last edited by misha2001; 25-11-2015 at 10:08 PM.

good luck on the cheap scope. I bet it can't handle the recoil.
    Nice ATI stock though.

That stock does look pretty nice.
    Be interested to hear how it shoots.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

suppressor will make it a real honey to shoot,the 3o's are tame anyway so it will be really nice.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    good luck on the cheap scope. I bet it can't handle the recoil.
    Nice ATI stock though.
    Yeah, well, the thing is, she who must be obeyed has a thing about me spending too much on my toys. So I do what I can with my allowance.
    Maca49 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    That stock does look pretty nice.
    Be interested to hear how it shoots.
    I'm hoping to take it to the range this weekend if my sinuses don't explode in the meantime . Don't ya just luv it when the kiddies pass on their snuffles to the person who nursed them through their downtime?

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    suppressor will make it a real honey to shoot,the 3o's are tame anyway so it will be really nice.
    Yeah, the old stock had a hefty recoil pad on it, so it didn't seem to kick as much as my boys 308. The standard ATI has a plastic stock plate, so I shall see and report..

I once bought a $150 .303. I found a base to mount a scope that attached to the receiver, exactly the same as the one above. To go with it was a cheap illuminated reticle scope.

Shortly after that I had a sight in as best as you can with that set up. I took it goat shooting and I remember it vividly, there was a nanny and a kid one standing diagonally above the other probably about 4 or 5 meters apart and it was about a 70m shot. I aimed at the kid and the nanny pole axed
    Last edited by Andrew46826; 11-12-2015 at 09:45 AM.
    Steve123 likes this.

Well, an update. Took the Enfield away with us to the South Island for xmas. My son wanted to show off his updated Axis, so we all (son, mum and daughter), loaded up the sons ute, along with my 22, and drove into the hinterland (Arthur's Pass) region to sight the Enfield and 22 in.

Got the Enfield shooting a 1" group at 100 metres, so was pretty pleased considering:
    A) I was shooting prone - not my best position
    B) I was shooting slightly uphill
    C) I was getting baked by the 30+ degree heat, and was sweating like a boy on his first date

Discovered that I must be getting soft, as the shoulder was pretty sore after 30 rounds (note, it did not take 30 to sight in), then a blast with my dads old shotgun throwing solid ball rounds. Still have the bruise on the shoulder. I did miss the recoil pad on the Enfield.

Scope went well, especially for these tired old eyes, and the heat shimmer.

All in all, I am pleased with this upgrade. Even managed to bowl a goat way out in the sticks after a fair bit of no-road driving..
    Steve123 likes this.

Hey misha2001, I'm very new to the site however I have a Lithgow as well as a great 6.5x55 and was wondering how that scope is holding up? Still holding zero? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarinetDemon View Post
    Hey misha2001, I'm very new to the site however I have a Lithgow as well as a great 6.5x55 and was wondering how that scope is holding up? Still holding zero? Thanks.
    Hiya. It seemed to hold ok on that trip. After I got back, sonny boy talked me into a 223, so sold the Enfield, minus scope, to fund the 223. I put the scope on the 223, but found it was not suited, so swapped it out with another scope I had here. The Superstrike is sitting in the safe at the moment.